Bonus Barrel 166 - Video Games Live Special (ft. CartridgeBros)

The best place for the BB community to get together and chat about the weekly podcast!
seigiac
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Puzzle
Favourite Game: Cave Story

Bonus Barrel 166 - Video Games Live Special (ft. CartridgeBros)

Post by seigiac » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:32 pm

https://soundcloud.com/bonus-barrel/bon ... tridgebros

In this special episode, Rob and Shelby recount their Video Games Live experience, finally meeting the Cartridge Brothers in person and reviewing Game Informer's top 100 RPGs.

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Re: Bonus Barrel 166 - Video Games Live Special (ft. CartridgeBros)

Post by Pam » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:37 pm

That was a fun episode! It was nice to hear two podcasts collide!

I'd love to go to another Video Games Live. I went to one probably 8 or 9 years ago. I remember the final was a big audience sing-a-long to Still Alive from Portal.

That Game Informer Top RPG list is pretty sketchy. So many of those games are not RPGs (and not even in my particularly stringent definition of the genre). Destiny? XCOM? Bastion? Symphony of the Night? No. Pokemon? Zelda? Nah. I wouldn't even consider Darkest Dungeon an RPG. I'm also pretty tired of every Souls game showing up on these lists.

Is playthrough B of Nier Automata only 3 or 4 hours? It felt like an eternity. Because I had already done it all before.

alatinolawyer
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Hahaha I appreciated Mark giving me a shout out. I'll keep all the secrets. Can't wait to finish the rest of the show

alatinolawyer
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:24 pm

Man what a great episode.

I love the rapport you guys had with P1 and P2. It is amazing when you are able to meet someone in real life for the first time after talking with them for a very long time online and have it feel normal, that's pretty rad. You guys sounded like you had a great time hanging out together.

"Murse" might go down in BB history as one of my favorite terms. I will always wonder if that really was the surgeon that works with Mark at Video Games Live. That sounds like a tremendous experience. If it's ever within a reasonable drive for me I will definitely go check it out.

The story of the boy who needed to be held by his mom when it was really loud reminded me of so many of my old students. I was a teacher in a special education classroom right after college, before I went to law school. I had a lot of students on the autism spectrum and they loved video games but also really reacted poorly to the weirdest sensory stimulus. I remember one student who would always wear the same jeans jacket no matter the weather because it was the only thing he felt comfortable in, this was IN HOUSTON where it's well over 90 degrees from mid-May through August. But he loved his Pokemon GBC games and would play them with earbud headphones during break time. I had another student who had the most heart breaking dyslexia, but that kid LOVED Golden Sun and other RPGs and he would always ask write down the lines that he wanted me to show him how to read so he could understand the games that didn't have voice acting. When I heard you talk about the kid just enduring until he got to the part that he was there for, I saw those kids (who are all adults by now) and remembered for a second how blessed I was to help them out for a few years.

I don't recognize any FPS as an RPG, I don't give a shit how many XP and level ups you get, they're FPS with RPG elements dammit. I'm that cranky old timer and I like it.

FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Post by FranticSociety » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:57 pm

I loved this episode. I really want to see Video Games Live now.
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast