trav hauls games

Got some new pickups? Wanna show off some games? Share it all with us here!
polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

trav hauls games

Post by polykill_travis » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:28 am

Dudes, I love a good show & tell. It's...20% of the reason why I collect. In fact, let's break it down.

Why I collect.

20% showing off and displaying them
50% playing the games
10% anally organizing them is cathartic
5% i love being broke
15% hunting down the games

I've snagged the best hauls of my life in the last year. They weren't cheap but they were deals and they were substantive. Join along with me as I detail my journey through some of the better hauls of my life.

Picked these fellas up on NintendoAge last year from a guy parting with some items in his collection. These averaged me about $25 apiece, I call it a good deal. The only one I've tried so far is Secret of Evermore which I ended up not being a big fan of.
haul1.png
Found these at a Yard Sale near where I live. Got all this for $30 and it came with a carrying case, not pictured. Tried out Oni.. found it very difficult but a fun idea. And I tend to hoard controllers so four new PS2 controllers was awesome.
haul2.png
Last edited by polykill_travis on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

polykill_travis

Re: trav hauls games

Post by polykill_travis » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:29 am

This is one of my all-time best.. documented.. hauls. I visited a buddy that I had met doing the Collect Call podcast. In fact, episode 1's Doug. Turns out, he doesn't live far from me so we met up one weekend to go hunting. I highly recommend doing this with other collectors, four collector eyes are nearly unstoppable. Anyway, we went to a place he frequents and the owner of that shop said "Yo, there's a guy over the mountain here that just started up a store and he's not really a gamer and none of his stuff has prices so he's good about deals, you should head over there." So, we did.

As soon as we walk in, dude says "So you're the collector guys I heard about from [guy at store 1]." So now I feel like he expects me to spend some money. He says, "Hold on a minute" and he walks in the back and comes out with a Sega CD. He says, "You want one of these?" Turns out that I DID. I had been looking for one for ages, a working one. He promises it works and says he'd do $60 on it. DONE. And it came with the Genesis on it. Once he sold me on that he says, "Do you have a 3DO?" "Noooo...." I said... but fully expecting him to produce one from his backroom stack. Sure enough, TWO. He says he's not sure if they work, he hasn't tried them out. There's no TV in his store, he just opened it so maybe that was an oversight. I'm skeptical.. new store, new town... but damn.

I'm not a risk taker, at all. Especially when it comes to money but... I TOOK THEM BOTH :)

He had some 3DO games to tack on to the haul and I got home, after spending the most money in a single game story ever in my life, and both 3DO's worked, the Sega CD worked, and one of the 3DO's had Road Rash in it... SUPER SCORE. I also picked up a few other things that day.. anytime I'm with Doug.. I get some freakin' games. STAY AWAY DOUG, I HAVE A FAMILY TO FEED.. if cats count.
haul3.png
haul4.png

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:40 am

A little while later I decided I wanted to double down on my N64 collection. I have about fifty sports titles left and a lot of other stuff to go. Obviously NES is always getting collected for. I found all of these in the same store, I can't remember what I paid but my wife chipped in half as a birthday present. This was back in August.

The one of this lot I was most excited for was Norse by Norsewest with the Lost Vikings. Not even sure if it's a highly revered game but I played it a ton as a kid. I borrowed it from my much older brother one weekend when I was in high school and played it all night long with my friend. Good memories.
haul5.png
Let's be clear, I don't have a ton of disposable income. I have SOME, that's why I'm able to do this. But the one thing I was slow to truly embracing the value of was trade-ins. I traded in some duplicate games and a console and got a ton of credit at a store a buddy of mine owns. The buddy is my buddy via the store, I'm a good patron and he occasionally hooks me up with a good deal. Very important things! Make friends with store owners.

I come in and he has this Action 52 and I run from it. I don't want to pay it. I go back home, 45 minutes away and think about it non-stop for a week. It's a trash game but damn it's such a collector piece. I eventually decide to try trading some things in and see what damage I can do. I scrounge up some extras and come back and he offers me over $100 for it. The Action 52 is cracked along the edge, he has $150 on it. And he's running a buy 2 get 1 free. I get Action 52, Power Blade, and Mario's Time machine for $100. He throws Willow in for free because I happened to be holding it. Great dude, great additions.
haul6.png
A few weeks later I found this run down antique shop. It was to the ceiling with records and nick knacks and uncategorized games, mostly sports stuff. But down in the bottom, under a bunch of junk controllers and torn boxes, was a stack of old manuals! I snagged this stack for $20. Felt decent about it.. manuals man.. MANUALS!
haul7.png

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:56 am

So, remember that store owner guy that sold me the SegaCD and two 3DO's for cheap? Well, I make it back over there. WHO WOULDN'T?
As soon as I walk in he remembers me from months earlier. "Hey, you're the collector guy that likes weird stuff?" I don't disagree, I guess 3DO's are pretty weird, I just hope he's still talking video games. "Look what I've got!" He scurries to the back room.

He comes back with a TG16 and says he doesn't think the video output works but it's mine for $50. He has 1 controller and 1 game (baseball) with it. "Nah... it's a risk man. If it doesn't work..." He cuts me off with, "Well we've gotten it to work, but we're not sure what's wrong with it." I tell him I'll think about it.

I walk around the shop and pick up a few other things until finally coming back to the counter and saying I'd do it for $35 but I want an RF and Power Switch with it (it didn't have that originally). He finds a NES RF switch and a compatible Genesis power brick and gives it to me. I get it home and sure enough, no signal. I get on a chat with a buddy of mine who has owned a TG16 and tell him my issues. He says to check this and that with the multimeter and I do. Turns out the Power Brick was dead as a door nail. I switched it out with one I owned and it at least powered on, but no signal. So then I switched RF Switches with one of mine and WALLAH, it worked just fine. He was testing the system with a bum RF and a bum power brick. I got a working TG16 for $35. BOOM. I also picked up A Link to the Past because I didn't have it. I had two 3DO's and not ALTTP, lol.
haul8.png
It took months but I finally earned enough cash to hang out with Doug again. We hit all the same spots we did the time before and while I didn't come home with any super good deals, I was able to round up a few games. One of the better gets of the whole ordeal was Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps. Because Doug lives far away he has a different Craigslist location than me and I've made a habit of checking his area too in case I see something. Before we hung out this time I had found a good Genesis lot that had those two plus the Golden Axe's and Slaughterhouse 1 and 2.. or maybe 2 and 3, I don't remember. Either way, Doug picked those up for us and we split the lot and picked up a bunch of these goodies while we were out. That Genesis lot was $60 I think, so split up was a great deal.
haul9.png
Things are always slower in the winter. Yard sales are less common and who wants to walk through a cold-ass flea market? Not me. But this past weekend, my wife and I figured that since the weather was nice, we might as well get out of the house. To me that means go visit all of my game store buddies. Recently I had picked up a big lot of NES games for $70 that included a ton of solid titles, most of which I already had. I snagged a common out of it and Mega Man 6, which I didn't have and traded the rest in and got $200 store credit on it! With that, I picked up Conker's Bad Fur Day from that store so I still have quite a bit of credit left. The rest of the haul came from other stores around town. No SUPER deals but it felt good to add a few more to that N64 collection!

Oh, and the California Raisins. My mom passed away this past October. When I was a kid I was super into the California Raisins figurines and we had a couple. For some reason they ended up on her dresser. A few months ago I came over to help my dad clean up a lot of my mom's things just so they weren't all over the place and constantly reminding him of her. I found a few of these guys there after I had almost completely forgotten about them. Fast forward to this weekend, I walk into a store and I see they have about 20 of these guys posed on a shelf. I ask the guy if they are for sale and he said "Not really... but .. what would you give for them?" I told him I wasn't sure if they had any worth but that I had just found a few and figured they were part of a set. He says "Ten bucks for all of them?" "Sure!" I still don't know if they'r worth anything but the few I had as a kid at least have some companions now.
haul10.png

STCPod
Gaming Since (Year): 1983
First Console: Vic 20
Favourite Genre: Action Adventure

Post by STCPod » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:15 am

I'd be a fast regular at that 3DO/TG store! What a string of pickups! How do I get to meet Doug? He's the lucky charm
Never, EVER click on this link!
http://www.stcpod.com

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:50 am

STCPod wrote:I'd be a fast regular at that 3DO/TG store! What a string of pickups! How do I get to meet Doug? He's the lucky charm
Ha, if you can stomach listening to me for 30 more minutes, listen to my interview with him in the first collect call. Dude got so lucky it makes my stomach turn.
http://www.polykill.com/podcasts/2016/4 ... -collector

Oh, and thanks for reading!

Myles
Gaming Since (Year): 1988
Favourite Genre: Avant-Garde
Favourite Game: River City Ransom

Post by Myles » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:10 pm

THERE'S AN INTELLIGENT QUBE above the Hard Corps!! Those are some insane hauls, dude. Very jelly over here. :P

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:18 pm

A working TG16 for $35!!!

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:57 pm

I'm to the point now in my NES collecting that finding a game I don't have for a price I'm willing to pay is very seldom and gets rarer by the day as prices continue to get outrageous. BUT last weekend I ventured down to visit my dad for lunch about an hour away and decided I would hit some nearby spots since the weather was nice. I went to a store that I never walk out of empty handed because the prices are always just below what I find online and to me that's a deal - I'm also extremely gullible but hey, games.

I found 9 NES games I didn't have which is crazy town if you have over 500 and they were all in the "lower tier" of pricing except for one.

Those included: Deja Vu, Roundball, Overlord, Phantom Fighter, Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers, Toxic Crusaders, Image Fight, Twin Cobra, and Pyramid.

I also found Gex and Creature Shock or some shit for Saturn.

Picked up Mickey Speedway USA to get my N64 collection up to 184. I lack a couple of the super rare ones (Transformers, Worms, Sculptors) but most of what I have left are sports.

Added a couple PSP games that I bought off an old, old, old lady who was in a wheelchair. I didn't want them but she wanted my $10 so I thought hell, here, get ya something nice.

Anyway, all-in-all, pretty good grab! Thanks for readin.
Attachments
17662839_620429378142743_5503209083185922048_n.jpg