What you want to see in 2018

Just want to talk about games? Retro or Modern, this is the place to be!
Chasethemadgamer
Gaming Since (Year): 1995
First Console: Nintendo
Favourite Genre: Action
Favourite Game: zombies are my neighbors

What you want to see in 2018

Post by Chasethemadgamer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 am

I know I have been slipping on here lately and I have not been on much but I have had a question in my mind lately and just want to share it with everyone. Since Secret of Mana and Shadow of the Colossus are getting remakes this year well in February which other games would people like to see being remade or coming out in 2018? Also what game has been everyone been playing for the Holiday Season leave a comment if you like and have a great day

AgentPoyo
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Re: What you want to see in 2018

Post by AgentPoyo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Chasethemadgamer wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 am
I know I have been slipping on here lately and I have not been on much but I have had a question in my mind lately and just want to share it with everyone. Since Secret of Mana and Shadow of the Colossus are getting remakes this year well in February which other games would people like to see being remade or coming out in 2018?
For remakes...I wonder if they are going to finally bring Seiken Densetsu 3 to the west and translated if Secret of Mana performs well. I would love it they offered the Super Famicom version and a remake version but honestly if it was only the Super Famicom version I would be fine; I just want a physical release in the least. The other two games I would love to see remade are also classic Squaresoft games: Brave Fencer Musashi & Threads of Fate.

As far as games that are coming out in 2018, these are my top 10 most anticipated games that have a 2018 release:

Secret of Mana Remake (PS4)
Kingdom Hearts III (PS4)
Anthem (PS4)
Project Octopath Traveler (SWITCH)
Lost Sphear (PS4/SWITCH)
God of War (PS4)
Spider-Man (PS4)
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4)
Detroit: Become Human (PS4)
Dragon Ball FighterZ (PS4)

I'm also really looking to The Alliance Alive (3DS). These are the same people who worked on The Legend of Legacy (3DS) which was criminally treated and unappreciated I feel. Monster Hunter World also looks great and I played the demo that was briefly available for PS4 users with PS Plus. There's also this one RPG called Granblue Fantasy: Project Re:Link that I'm looking forward to, but we haven't heard any updates for the game in a long time.
Chasethemadgamer wrote:
Also what game has been everyone been playing for the Holiday Season leave a comment if you like and have a great day
I played Wolfenstein: The New Order and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and have started to play Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I think I'm about halfway through Hellblade now but not sure. I've defeated Surtr & just defeated Valravyn so not sure how much longer I have exactly but the estimate for the game is like 6-7 hrs I believe; so that's why I think I'm about halfway given how many hrs I've played so far. The combat is waaaay better than I thought it was because everyone and their mother commented on the third person angle perspective that they went with as if it hindered the combat. I freakin' love the combat and it's easily my favorite aspect of the game.

Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:22 pm

This holiday season I've been working my way through a few things. I've spent the most time with Divinity Original Sin 2, a wonderful CRPG about trying to become divine. It's really amazing. The genre's had a comeback recently and I think this is the best of the bunch. I've also been very slowly working my way through Blue Rider - a twin stick shooter that's gotten very challenging in the later levels - and Cuphead - which also has become very challenging and I'm a little stuck on one particular boss. I'd also like to play through Castlevania 4 and Super Metroid over the holidays. We'll see.

Some (completely improbable) things I'd like to see in 2018:
- A new Shadow Hearts game
- An announcement that a new game from Supergiant is not too far away
- A new game based on World of Darkness (that's not an MMO)
- Cyberpunk 2077

More likely 2018 releases I'm excited for are:
- A new Tomb Raider?
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- State of Decay 2
- Detroit Become Human
- Vampyr
- System Shock remake

AgentPoyo

Post by AgentPoyo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Pam wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:22 pm
Oh yea that would be amazing. I still haven't been sold on Pyre, but I really want to see what their next project is going to be. Transistor is my favorite Indie game period.
Pam wrote:
- Vampyr
- System Shock remake
I forgot about these games. Looking forward to these as well.

Chasethemadgamer

Post by Chasethemadgamer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:53 am

AgentPoyo wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Chasethemadgamer wrote:
I know I have been slipping on here lately and I have not been on much but I have had a question in my mind lately and just want to share it with everyone. Since Secret of Mana and Shadow of the Colossus are getting remakes this year well in February which other games would people like to see being remade or coming out in 2018?
For remakes...I wonder if they are going to finally bring Seiken Densetsu 3 to the west and translated if Secret of Mana performs well. I would love it they offered the Super Famicom version and a remake version but honestly if it was only the Super Famicom version I would be fine; I just want a physical release in the least. The other two games I would love to see remade are also classic Squaresoft games: Brave Fencer Musashi & Threads of Fate.

As far as games that are coming out in 2018, these are my top 10 most anticipated games that have a 2018 release:

Secret of Mana Remake (PS4)
Kingdom Hearts III (PS4)
Anthem (PS4)
Project Octopath Traveler (SWITCH)
Lost Sphear (PS4/SWITCH)
God of War (PS4)
Spider-Man (PS4)
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4)
Detroit: Become Human (PS4)
Dragon Ball FighterZ (PS4)

I'm also really looking to The Alliance Alive (3DS). These are the same people who worked on The Legend of Legacy (3DS) which was criminally treated and unappreciated I feel. Monster Hunter World also looks great and I played the demo that was briefly available for PS4 users with PS Plus. There's also this one RPG called Granblue Fantasy: Project Re:Link that I'm looking forward to, but we haven't heard any updates for the game in a long time.
Chasethemadgamer wrote:
Also what game has been everyone been playing for the Holiday Season leave a comment if you like and have a great day
I played Wolfenstein: The New Order and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and have started to play Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I think I'm about halfway through Hellblade now but not sure. I've defeated Surtr & just defeated Valravyn so not sure how much longer I have exactly but the estimate for the game is like 6-7 hrs I believe; so that's why I think I'm about halfway given how many hrs I've played so far. The combat is waaaay better than I thought it was because everyone and their mother commented on the third person angle perspective that they went with as if it hindered the combat. I freakin' love the combat and it's easily my favorite aspect of the game.

Nice selection of games you are waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3 is up there to get a pre-order from me but have not made the deal yet. Thinking of getting Darksiders 3 too. I wish they would remake the Brave Fencer series I use to rent those games from the store as a teenage and spend the weekend working on it. How did you like the Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus cause I have been hearing mixed reviews about it. I never heard anything about HellBlade but Ill have to look it up.

Chasethemadgamer

Post by Chasethemadgamer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:58 am

Pam wrote:
This holiday season I've been working my way through a few things. I've spent the most time with Divinity Original Sin 2, a wonderful CRPG about trying to become divine. It's really amazing. The genre's had a comeback recently and I think this is the best of the bunch. I've also been very slowly working my way through Blue Rider - a twin stick shooter that's gotten very challenging in the later levels - and Cuphead - which also has become very challenging and I'm a little stuck on one particular boss. I'd also like to play through Castlevania 4 and Super Metroid over the holidays. We'll see.

Some (completely improbable) things I'd like to see in 2018:
- A new Shadow Hearts game
- A new game based on World of Darkness (that's not an MMO)
- Cyberpunk 2077

- A new Tomb Raider?
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- State of Decay 2
- Detroit Become Human
- Vampyr
- System Shock remake
Good selection of games to be stuck on I heard nothing but great things about Cuphead and if they every decide to release it on disc ill probably get it for my collection. I finished Castlevania 4 again in October when it was game of the month and I am sad to say I have never played Super Metroid. Vampyr looks like a great game coming out and hope it delivers in the hidden gems lol. I would like to see a new Shadow Hearts game but its hard to see it happen.

muragaru553
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
Favourite Genre: (J) Role-Playing
Favourite Game: A few

Post by muragaru553 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:48 pm

I liveeeeeeeeeeeeee! Ahem, sorry. For whatever reason, couldn't get signed on, but that has now been fixed.

Anyway, some games I'd like to see for a remake this year:

A Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2 or whatever people want to call it) would be rather cool. A shame that it hasn't seen a release outside of Japan. I love that game and the different stories and a different final boss depending on which character you choose as your main lead made it fun to play through and incentivizes multiple playthroughs. Plus, Kikuta's work on the OST is fantastic :D

Another one from the Super Famicom era that I'd love to see remade and released elsewhere would be Rudra no Hihou (Treasures of the Rudra). Great music by Ryuji Sasai (he did Final Fantasy Mystic Quest's OST), cool stories as the different scenarios were written by different people.

Since I haven't liked the latest trajectory of the the newer Fire Emblem games (Awakening and Fates), Echoes was a nice coat of paint for a wonderful, if archaic, game from the Famicom era, Fire Emblem Gaiden. That said, I LOVE all of the Fire Emblem games on the Super Famicom, so if there was to be a remake akin to Echoes for Seisen no Keifu (my favorite, Genealogy of a Holy War) and Thracia 776, sweet mercy, I would be ecstatic.

As for games slated to come out this year:

I've already played it and loved it, but I am very curious how Dragon Quest XI is received by the Western audience. I loved it (love it so much I had to repeat that :p), but the series has been very near and dear to my heat for decades, so I may be a bit bias :p Colorful, gorgeous, some nice twist and turns in the story, and an OST that hits so well. It's peculiar to read on forums elsewhere how Dragon Quest's OST gets very little fanfare from Western players. Yes, the battle themes are a bit more subtle and not nearly as energetic as pieces by Nobuo Uematsu, but those town and field themes <3 and those emotional themes :'(

The other one is the last game for the Sen arc in the Kiseki series (Trails in the Sky, Trails to Zero, Trails of Azure, Trails of Cold Steel). Sen III came out in Nov in Japan and, though I hated I and II, I really came to enjoy III, except the ending -.- That said, Sen IV is slated for Fall 2018 (so probably around Nov again), so it will be good to wrap that up and wait a few years before they tackle the remaining portions of the overarching story that has been going on for over a [email protected][email protected]

Can't think of much else beyond that, but I know there is a ton of stuff, so yeah :D
If you're interested in some writings of mine:
http://www.writerscafe.org/muragaru55/writing/

The game I'm working on:
http://www.saedrascalling.com/

AgentPoyo

Post by AgentPoyo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:08 pm

muragaru553 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:48 pm
A Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2 or whatever people want to call it) would be rather cool. A shame that it hasn't seen a release outside of Japan. I love that game and the different stories and a different final boss depending on which character you choose as your main lead made it fun to play through and incentivizes multiple playthroughs. Plus, Kikuta's work on the OST is fantastic :D
If Square does finally release this game to the rest of the world, I would want them to do it ala Dragon Quest XI on the 3DS or Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap remake. I prefer the sprites but if they were to release it with the same art style as the upcoming Secret of Mana remake I could understand since that artist the art is based on has become popular...but for this remake I would want the sprites option. Seiken Densetsu 3 is the most beautiful game on the Super Famicom; I won't ever be convinced otherwise. The sprite work makes you think you are playing a Sega Saturn or PlayStation sprite-based game the detail is so insane.
muragaru553 wrote:
Another one from the Super Famicom era that I'd love to see remade and released elsewhere would be Rudra no Hihou (Treasures of the Rudra). Great music by Ryuji Sasai (he did Final Fantasy Mystic Quest's OST), cool stories as the different scenarios were written by different people.
I still need to play that game. I have a translated reproduction cart and I love the premise and what I have heard about it. I also heard, though, that it is incredibly difficult. From my understanding, the hardest thing about releasing it out of Japan is doing the spell system in other languages. Fans finally took the time to try to translate the spell system into English but given you can literally create any spell with any combination of key phrases/letters/words is intense.
muragaru553 wrote:
Since I haven't liked the latest trajectory of the the newer Fire Emblem games (Awakening and Fates), Echoes was a nice coat of paint for a wonderful, if archaic, game from the Famicom era, Fire Emblem Gaiden. That said, I LOVE all of the Fire Emblem games on the Super Famicom, so if there was to be a remake akin to Echoes for Seisen no Keifu (my favorite, Genealogy of a Holy War) and Thracia 776, sweet mercy, I would be ecstatic.
I'm not a lifelong fan of the Fire Emblem series; Awakening was my first. That being said, I enjoyed Echoes but I really would have enjoyed it tenfold if your character could hold more than 1 item at once, had the support system from the new games, the branching class system, and if the damn accuracy was adjusted. I love that the terrain mattered more in Echoes but the accuracy was just utter bullshit for the chance to land attacks even when terrain wasn't a factor.

muragaru553
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
Favourite Genre: (J) Role-Playing
Favourite Game: A few

Post by muragaru553 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:37 pm

If Square does finally release this game to the rest of the world, I would want them to do it ala Dragon Quest XI on the 3DS or Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap remake. I prefer the sprites but if they were to release it with the same art style as the upcoming Secret of Mana remake I could understand since that artist the art is based on has become popular...but for this remake I would want the sprites option. Seiken Densetsu 3 is the most beautiful game on the Super Famicom; I won't ever be convinced otherwise. The sprite work makes you think you are playing a Sega Saturn or PlayStation sprite-based game the detail is so insane.
That would be rather cool, but I fear Sqex may not be so inclined and end up going the way you mentioned with Secret of Mana's remake, which I am not too impressed with, but I don't hate it outright. Seiken Densetsu 3 is a gorgeous game. I also like Rudra's presentation and sprites as well, but it is not as vibrant as SD3's. Sprite work has become such an underappreciated aspect of video gaming in large part to 3D and the ever-growing push to emulate realism with VR and what not.
I still need to play that game. I have a translated reproduction cart and I love the premise and what I have heard about it. I also heard, though, that it is incredibly difficult. From my understanding, the hardest thing about releasing it out of Japan is doing the spell system in other languages. Fans finally took the time to try to translate the spell system into English but given you can literally create any spell with any combination of key phrases/letters/words is intense.
Nice :D Honestly, I'll refrain from any spoilers, but some of the bosses are rather tough, especially with how the game is presented. You can jump from scenario to scenario....from what I recall (^.^;), and you have to explore and find/read/infer on different suffixes and prefixes you encounter through fights, in chests, and what not. Armed with that knowledge, you can get through most of the game. The final boss, however, is a heavyweight boxing match. If you do get an opportunity, definitely give it a shot. I remember it being about a 40 - 50 hour game.
I'm not a lifelong fan of the Fire Emblem series; Awakening was my first. That being said, I enjoyed Echoes but I really would have enjoyed it tenfold if your character could hold more than 1 item at once, had the support system from the new games, the branching class system, and if the damn accuracy was adjusted. I love that the terrain mattered more in Echoes but the accuracy was just utter bullshit for the chance to land attacks even when terrain wasn't a factor.
Yeah, the item bit was an odd more, but makes sense in a way to curtail dependency (though I don't think it was the best choice). Well, this is why I reference the Super Famicom ones. Well, Seisen and Thracia, at least. Seisen is where Awakening and Fates drew their inspiration for the kids joining, though they implement it differently. Seisen had different pairing you could make, which affected how awesome or terrible the 2nd generation characters were, or if you made none, you'd get a different character entirely, which is nifty. The branching classes is something I don't mind, like in how it was done in Sacred Stones (GBA), where you can become one class or another, but didn't Awakening pretty allow you to be whatever class you wanted? I vaguely remember being able to switch it and so you could end up with some powerful characters, even if it was a bit silly. If so, I'm not too big of a fan of that style, but branching classes are nifty. Heck, Seiken Densetsu 3 did that really well, I thought :D

Also, is there anything worse than missing in a JRPG, RPG, or strat game? Seriously >:(
If you're interested in some writings of mine:
http://www.writerscafe.org/muragaru55/writing/

The game I'm working on:
http://www.saedrascalling.com/

AgentPoyo

Post by AgentPoyo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:07 pm

muragaru553 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:37 pm
The branching classes is something I don't mind, like in how it was done in Sacred Stones (GBA), where you can become one class or another, but didn't Awakening pretty allow you to be whatever class you wanted? I vaguely remember being able to switch it and so you could end up with some powerful characters, even if it was a bit silly. If so, I'm not too big of a fan of that style, but branching classes are nifty. Heck, Seiken Densetsu 3 did that really well, I thought :D
I do not need to have every possible option at every turn like Western RPGs, but I feel like when JRPGs give you just a few more options than the standard they tend to shine so much more; just like SD3 which you already mention. In Echoes you only had this sense of customization when it came to picking the classes for Alm's childhood village friends and even then it was sorta limited because some of the stat gains were so obvious that you would be dumb not to go with specific classes in most cases.