Mad Maestro!

Just want to talk about games? Retro or Modern, this is the place to be!
Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

Mad Maestro!

Post by Round2Gaming » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:20 am

Mad Maestro!, originally released as "Bravo Music" in Japan, is a music/action title for the PlayStation 2. The gamer plays the role of an orchestra conductor tasked with saving the town's Concert Hall from being destroyed by showing the city the orchestra's great performances. Players must accurately press buttons as indicated on the game screen in a rhythmical pattern in order to pass each stage.

As I pack up my Games Room for the move, I'm coming across a ton of great memories. Just popped in Mad Maestro for a bit of fun. #JustBeatIt back in 2013 - but the first time seeing the ending was actually years prior watching my little sister (and rhythm-game phenom) get through the final stage for me.

Even if you aren't a regular attendee of the local symphony, there's enough addictiveness cooked into the gameplay to bring you a solid 2 hours of enjoyment. The premise consists of the usual timed button presses to conduct some of history's most famous orchestral scores, but enforces not only tempo - but 'volume' as well. A soft button press instead of a hard button press (thanks to the DualShock2's pressure-sensing capabilities) can make the difference between heaven and hell (game-mechanically speaking).

A bit of a story is shoe-horned in, but it's just a side-helping of zaniness that doesn't really add much depth to the game. Instead, just expect to head into a colorful rhythm romp accompanied by Brahms, Strauss, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner and the rest of the gang.

Has anyone played Mad Maestro? Don't hear it talked about often, so wanted to throw up a thread just incase any fellow Clubbers play(ed) it at some point.

Here's the final concert (with spoilers) that feels incredibly rewarding to master:

phpBB [video]

Kathryn
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Re: Mad Maestro!

Post by Kathryn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:14 pm

Myles bought this game for me, I think, because he knows that I really like rhythm games, but I found this one SO HARD! I think we had major input lag issues, which didn't help (that's my excuse, anyway). But, I LOVED the concept and I probably just need to put a bit more time into it (when we fix the lag issues somehow...uh...I'll have to do some research).

It was just so unique and the music is so great. I grew up in a little hamlet 2 hours north of Toronto, but my parents would always make the drive to the city to expose my sisters and me to a bit of "culture". That meant a LOT of symphonies and musicals.

Thanks for reminding me about this game! It's definitely one I'll keep in the hopes that I'll someday get a chance to try it out again. :)

Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

Post by Round2Gaming » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:18 am

Kathryn wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:14 pm
Myles bought this game for me, I think, because he knows that I really like rhythm games, but I found this one SO HARD! I think we had major input lag issues, which didn't help (that's my excuse, anyway).
Awesome to hear you've played this one, Kathryn! Curious which controller you were using. The game is pretty heavy on the pressure-sensitive inputs - and unless you're using the Dualshock 2 - you probably won't get very far. The DualShock 3 changed its sensitivity levels, and DualShock 4 dropped them all together. Hope you go back to it one day :)

Kathryn
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Post by Kathryn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:25 pm

Round2Gaming wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:18 am
Awesome to hear you've played this one, Kathryn! Curious which controller you were using. The game is pretty heavy on the pressure-sensitive inputs - and unless you're using the Dualshock 2 - you probably won't get very far. The DualShock 3 changed its sensitivity levels, and DualShock 4 dropped them all together. Hope you go back to it one day :)
I don't even know what kind of controller I used! Perhaps it wasn't an optimal one, which means, I will definitely have to give it another shot!!

I guess the pressure-sensitive inputs means it likely won't be re-released, or remastered, or whatever. :/