Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Just want to talk about games? Retro or Modern, this is the place to be!
Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Post by Round2Gaming » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Two worlds collide in Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle! The Mushroom Kingdom has been torn apart by a mysterious vortex, transporting the Rabbids into the once-peaceful area, splintering this beloved land. To bring order back to the Kingdom, Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and Yoshi team up with Rabbids heroes on a journey through four different worlds.

Join these eight heroes to explore a new world twisted by the mischievous Rabbids, filled with secrets and nods to classic Mario games! Outwit unpredictable enemies in dynamic turn-based combat and co-op challenges, and solve puzzles along the way. Discover a feel-good and modern combat adventure designed exclusively for the Nintendo Switch system, playable anywhere, anytime, with anyone.

Originally brushed off as an unnecessary mash-up, Ubisoft's E3 2017 Press Conference proved to many fans that there's some huge promises with this title.

Watch Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom gang team up with the Rabbids in Ubisoft's action strategy game that's coming to Nintendo Switch.

phpBB [video]

Developed by Ubisoft's Milan and Paris teams, Kingdom Battle will see the Rabbids invade the Mushroom Kingdom, transported there, as well as a new threat to Mario's home in the form of evil Rabbids. Players can control Mario characters like the titular plumber, Luigi, Yoshi, and Peach, as well as Rabbids dressed like characters from the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ubisoft showed off a gameplay demo during The tactical adventure game will feature two "phases" to its gameplay — combat and tactical phases. Adventure phases will allow players to explore the game's levels, while combat phases will include tactical, turn-based combat.

Have you guys changed your mind? Is this enough to make you want to buy a Switch? Share your thoughts here!

Kathryn
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Re: Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Post by Kathryn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Myles and I have always been planning to get a Switch when Super Mario Odyssey comes out (hopefully as part of a holiday bundle). When we saw the Kingdom Battle demo at the Ubisoft conference, we were both happy to have another game that we're looking forward to playing on the Switch. It has a bit of a Super Mario RPG feel, with fun new combat mechanics, and a pretty good sense of humour.

We recently played a Rabbids game for the first time on Wii and we both really liked it! So this mash-up doesn't seem as odd to us anymore. :P

NintendoHodge
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Action/RPG/Puzzle
Favourite Game: Breath of the Wild

Post by NintendoHodge » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:33 pm

My sons head exploded when he saw this. I think its going to be a lot of fun and this is a "Nintendo" game. I cannot wait for this and for the rest of what Nintendo shows.

Round2Gaming

Post by Round2Gaming » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:03 am

So yesterday I bought a Switch. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision, but wise words from P1 pushed me over the edge. I didn't need a new system. And I certainly didn't need any new games. But if I'm being honest, I couldn't be happier.

One of the games I purchased was Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. I was debating whether or not this would be up my alley; I love Mario but I'm not a huge fan of the Rabbids games. After playing through World 1, I'm really glad I picked it up! This game is terrific! It's colorful, funny and fantastically enjoyable.

There's a constant feeling of progression - with enough coinage reward from every "Perfect"-ranked level to buy a new weapon. It's like leveling-up after every battle in an RPG. Feels great!

My only complaint, if any, is that the game is wildly easy. Granted, I'm only on World 2, but these first few hours have yet to see me lose a single character. Every level has been 2 or 3 turns under-par. I'm hoping the difficulty ramps up a little bit.

I know this game has disappointed a few and has surprised its fair share as well. Which camp are you in? I definitely recommend giving it a try if you haven't. It sounds weird on paper, but in practice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Kathryn
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Post by Kathryn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Yay! Be our Switch buddy!!

I love this game. We haven't gotten back to it for our channel because of Flock Talk and Thanksgiving, but we will soon finish off World 2. We'll probably stop recording at that point and move on to something else for Mario Mondays, but not because we dislike the game. It's just going to take us too long to finish it.

I don't find it super challenging, but we have had a few characters "die" in battle. That's mostly because we are bad at games. You, however, are good at games, so I can see how this one might feel super easy for you. But, I think it really makes up for it with all the things you can do in the overworld. I enjoy solving the map puzzles just as much as I enjoy the battles. I have been back-tracking to unlock all the stuff I couldn't do in the beginning. It's so rewarding to find hidden treasure boxes!!

I also LOVE the humour. The Rabbids are so cute and funny! It makes me want to try an actual Rabbids game...maybe.

Round2Gaming

Post by Round2Gaming » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:08 am

So awesome to hear you guys are enjoying it too, Kathryn :) I just beat it a few minutes ago....well like an hour ago - those were likely the longest credits in the history of..any piece of media whatsoever.

The GameStop rep suggested that Mario + Rabbids gets really old, really fast, but I disagree. There's constantly new mechanics being introduced the whole way through, and new strategies to use in each stage.

The ability to switch load-outs before every battle really helps optimize your character's build for everything from close-range skirmishes, long-ranged widemaps, or even those sprint-to-the-finish levels. Is the level rife with cliffs? Equip yourselves with 'bounce' or 'push'. Some heavy-hitting brutes on the battlefield? Stick with "Ink" or "Honey" shots. Gotta get to the end of the map in a hurry? Reset your skill tree and put all your points into Health, Movement Boosts and Speed-Up abilities.

4 worlds is the perfect length! And while I felt the last boss was a little shoehorned in, I'll be damned if he didn't look badass.

Can't wait to hear the Flock's final verdict! Good luck, guys!

AgentPoyo
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Post by AgentPoyo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:45 pm

Can't say I have much interest in the game, but I absolutely love the Yoshi Rabbid. Seems like he's just a feral maniac.

How great/fun is he in the game?

Round2Gaming

Post by Round2Gaming » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:15 am

He's actually one of the latter recruits, so I never ended up using him. The one critique I have for this game is how incredibly easy it is to "Perfect" every stage on your first try. Had it been harder, I would've been more inclined to experiment with the other characters.

Pretty much just stuck with Mario, Luigi and Rabbid Peach for the entire game.