CCBC - The Ultimate History of Video Games: from Pong to Pokemon and Beyond

Watched a good movie? Read a good book? Heard a good song? Share with the Club!
bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Re: CCBC - The Ultimate History of Video Games: from Pong to Pokemon and Beyond

Post by bassguy654 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 pm

I'm really enjoying this book Caleb! I've read through chapter 25 about the advent of the ESRB, really interesting to hear from White and Howard bickering about the gaming age demographics of the time.

Any idea what the FEB/MAR Boss Fight book will be? We could do a couple of the shorter ones. I think MightyQDawg has the FFV one ;-). I'd be down for a podcast discussion if you decide to do one.

Calebjross
Gaming Since (Year): 1987
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: 2D puzzle platformer
Favourite Game: Super Metroid

Post by Calebjross » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:34 am

I haven't heard from Pam. I'll send her a tweet.

bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Post by bassguy654 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:04 pm

I just finished. It was a great read! It was cool to read about video game luminaries such as Miyamoto, Howard Lincoln, Gunpei Yakoi, Nolan Bushnell, to name a few. I really love reading about the interworking of Sony, Atari, Nintendo, and some of the smaller game companies and their demises

The book starts out slow talking about pinball and long, but it was so fascinating to learn about Atari' s culture and how kooky Nolan Bushnell was (I think he still is). The dethroning of Bushnell was sad to read, but understandable he didn't have any business training and was never satisfied with anything so he never let a product grow and develop.

The rise of Nintendo is endlessly fascinating, growing from a small card game manufacturer to the juggernaut it is today. I loved reading about the genesis of the Donkey Kong and Mario characters, Miyamoto is such a visionary. Another Nintendo series, Pokemon, single handedly revitalized the handheld market and really created a whole new market with trading cards, figures, comics, and a TV show!

Sega held on to the bitter end but just didn't have the resources that bigger companies like Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft had. The author of the book, Steven Kent, is a free lance video game journalist so it made sense that he knew how so much about the interworkings of the media. I always love reading about the interworkings of failed hardware manufacturers like Coleco, Atari, Sega, GCE, Magnavox, to name a few.

I really would love to read more about Sega, Nintendo, and Microsoft in more detail at some point. This book only scratched the surface of video game history, but it was a great place to start.

Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

Post by Round2Gaming » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 am

Awesome to hear you finished it, Chris! Still working on it myself, but sounds like I'm loving it equally as much. Loved the feedback (and clarification of my craziness) from Twitter when I posted my weird 'highlighting habit' - but I'm arguing that this is the 'perfect' book for it. HUGE in content, but FULL of fun and interesting tidbits to remember.

Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

Post by Round2Gaming » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 pm

I know it's been a while, but I just want to point out how much of a regular influence this book has become since reading it. The knowledge was presented in a way that (for me) was well-absorbed, and I'm finding weekly occurrences where I'm able to articulate fun tidbits of information that I learned. If you want a fun, albeit high-level, history of video games, I definitely recommend this one!