CCPrime Ep. 50 - Super Castlevania IV

Home of the official Cartridge Club podcast!
grayghost81
Gaming Since (Year): 1983
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: JRPG
Favourite Game: Persona 3

Re: CCPrime Ep. 50 - Super Castlevania IV

Post by grayghost81 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:23 am

This is by far my favorite Castlevania game. I remember asking for it for my eleventh or twelfth birthday and playing it to death. Even back then, I could never beat it, despite all the hours I put into it. I did beat it earlier this year, but with cheats on. I did it kind of on a whim just to see the parts of the game I could could never get to in the past.

The music in this game is insanely good, and I'm happy to see people picking up on it.

bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Post by bassguy654 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:00 pm

I missed out on this game back in the day because I pivoted over to the PC Master race. I picked up a copy this past summer to get all of the games that are on the SNES classic in cartridge form. Then I watched Brasel and Norm the Gaming Historian stream it and thought I'd give it a go.

I just started playing this and what I've heard is true. When you jump it feels like Simon Belmont is heavy and you have to be precise with your jumps. I really hate how much your character flies back when you get hit.

The Sprites are cool looking, the music gets your blood pumping, and you gotta love that mode 7. I'm on stage 3-1 now, I'm having trouble finding time, but I think I can beat it this weekend or next week.

bstat55
Gaming Since (Year): 1999
First Console: Nintendo 64
Favourite Genre: JRPG

Post by bstat55 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:49 am

I've had an exceptionally busy week having to get my store ready for a convention. Was about to buy Super Catlevania IV on VC but I was able to get my hands on a copy for only $25. Gonna be starting it up at work today. I've never even played this before.
Twitter: @bstat55
My channels: Mystix | Sky United
Currently Playing: Live A Live | Shin Megami Tensei
Next Convention: ???

polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Post by polykill_travis » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:37 pm

Of the classic Castlevania's... I'm finding this one to be the easiest one. Which is fine - just notable.

I base that on the fact that I have left the cushions of my recliner essentially un-punched compared to my romp through the first Castlevania and Bloodlines, which were both a fair bit more grueling.

This one still stands on its own though, very fun. As always, loving the music too.

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:50 am

polykill_travis wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:37 pm
Of the classic Castlevania's... I'm finding this one to be the easiest one. Which is fine - just notable.

I base that on the fact that I have left the cushions of my recliner essentially un-punched compared to my romp through the first Castlevania and Bloodlines, which were both a fair bit more grueling.

This one still stands on its own though, very fun. As always, loving the music too.
Lol Travis, u dumb idiot. You didn't know about the gauntlet at the end did you?

It's hard now.

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:26 pm

I only played for about 10 minutes so far, but it's pretty good. The music rocks! Though I agree with Bassguy, Simon feels heavy. It's like controlling an elephant.

bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Post by bassguy654 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:15 am

I just finished stage 6. The chandelier section was pretty cool although it looks like Simon Belmont is floating on those platforms, hardware limitations I suppose. The ghosts were kind of annoying and possessed tables lol.

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:04 am

Finished it! Overall pretty fun. The difficulty ramps up nice and gradual and gets cushion-punchy at the end - just how I like it. My cat and wife are indifferent but I enjoyed my time with the game quite a bit.

Hobby Drifter
Gaming Since (Year): 1986
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Shooters
Favourite Game: Contra

Post by Hobby Drifter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Another all-time classic from Konami's golden age. The company put out more great titles for the 8 and 16 bit Nintendo consoles than, imo, any other company. And all with relatively few duds. If you saw Konami on a cartridge, you knew it was going to be a good time.

That said, I didn't snag a physical copy until a few years ago. An independent used game store I had a good relationship with was closing its doors. The owner knew I was into Konami games and pulled a bunch of stuff out of the stock room including CiB copies of the SFC versions of Castlevania IV, Contra 3, Twinbee, and Gradius 3. He let me have 'em for something like $10 USD each.

This month, I'm giving Castlevania IV the attention it deserves. I've never played it to the end and I can't think of a better time to do so.

Myles
Gaming Since (Year): 1988
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: River City Ransom

Post by Myles » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:59 pm

I think this was the hardest game I have ever 'finished'. I played on the SNES Classic and my use of save states got REALLLLL dirty during the final three boss encounters. It wouldn't be so bad if Simon didn't feel like a bag of sand.

Overall, I dug the game. This was the first Castlevania I played all the way through.

My favourite part was the whip. It felt fluid. I want that whip IRL.