CCPrime Ep. 55 - The Last of Us

Home of the official Cartridge Club podcast!
Musty Hobbit
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Re: CCPrime Ep. 55 - The Last of Us

Post by Musty Hobbit » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:49 pm

I played this for the first time in late November 2017 (As part of the Great Musty Beatathon of 2017), and basically played it in two sittings (the second being a 10+ hour section). I really enjoyed the game and the repeated gut punches that it delivers. I have yet to go back for the DLC, but would like to do that this month (time permitting).

To echo Pam's comments, the crafting/scripting of the narrative while still giving you ability to move about a space is so well done.

Were there any crafted items that you ended up skipping or just not making? I rarely wasted ingredients on molotovs and the bombs, for example.

iLythium
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: Sega Master System II

Post by iLythium » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:29 am

I tend to make everything I can if I come across crafting ingredients that I can’t pick up. Just try and not make melee weapon upgrades so I can always make shivs for shiv doors.

Found some frustration in my playtime today. I’m trying to get all the collectibles in this playthrough and 3 times I had to replay long stealth/combat sections because Ellie wouldn’t give the prompt for the conversation or joke. Not something that would crop up unless you were specifically going for all the collectibles though.

But I forgot how annoying she can be blocking doorways when you’re running around picking up items. Just found follows you and stops right in the doorway and then doesn’t move when you try to go through. Infuriating!

Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Musty Hobbit wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:49 pm
Were there any crafted items that you ended up skipping or just not making? I rarely wasted ingredients on molotovs and the bombs, for example.
The first time around I mostly crafted the shivs and healing items. This time I'm getting much more use out of molotovs and nail bombs though. The only thing I haven't really found a use for is the smoke grenades.

I've kind of stalled out in my playthrough. I just got to the Suburbs and am going through the sewers. I tried to get all the collectibles this time around (side note - I hate Playstation's trophy system. I've finished the game before and I think I got 2 whole trophies for it) and first of all, it's not very fun to have to constantly refer to a guide on my phone while I play and second... I still missed some. I know you can go back to specific chapters once you beat it, but the chapters are loooong. I also blame Darkest Dungeon for this. Apparently that's all I play anymore.

iLythium

Post by iLythium » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Some of those middle chapters can be pretty long. Took me a couple of sessions to get through Pittsburgh and The Lakeside Resort. But some of the other chapters didn't take me nearly as long as I anticipated.

Managed to get my playthrough finished just before the Easter weekend. Got all the collectibles too. I know how frustrating it can be to miss them!

Story still gets me everytime. So well told and performed.

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Just listened to the podcast, that was one of my favourite episodes for sure. It was great to hear you all dig into the story, and I appreciated how much of the podcast was dedicated to it. I am much more forgiving of Joel's actions (including the lies) at the end. Also, I didn't even realize that I didn't have to kill the doctors at the end.

I also have had frustrations with the stealth in this game, though I always considered stealth a type of combat, not a replacement for combat.

Kathryn
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Post by Kathryn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Pam wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:48 pm
Just listened to the podcast, that was one of my favourite episodes for sure. It was great to hear you all dig into the story, and I appreciated how much of the podcast was dedicated to it. I am much more forgiving of Joel's actions (including the lies) at the end. Also, I didn't even realize that I didn't have to kill the doctors at the end.

I also have had frustrations with the stealth in this game, though I always considered stealth a type of combat, not a replacement for combat.
Man, Eric and Sean really hated Joel for lying. It was such a hard line in the sand for them, so I felt maybe I held an uncommon opinion that lying is a basic, human response. I was not really thrown off by Joel's response, and I am pretty sure I would have done the same. It could have made for an interesting debate, but I was not ready to go up against those two juggernauts.

Kathryn
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Post by Kathryn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Oh! i should also correct myself - Lord Rage speedruns the game in just under 12 hours, not 6. I realized that the cutscenes alone take almost 3 hours to watch. Heh. It stinks because I don't think Lord Rage has kept his VODs for The Last of Us. There might still be one or two on YouTube, though.

FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Post by FranticSociety » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Really awesome episode, great guests!

I have beat that "undergound clicker Tess," part without alerting the clickers on hard... twice now. It's doable.

After giving it a second playthrough and listening to the show this game is cemented in my mind as one of the greatest of last generation.
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

iLythium

Post by iLythium » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:00 pm

Finally listened to the podcast. My first Cartridge Club podcast! Really enjoyed the discussion.

I remember the first time I played I almost agreed with the fireflies at the end and was kinda like "Yeah maybe I should let them try to make a cure?". But of course you don't actually get any agency in that decision.

However when replaying it I didn't have that feeling and agreed with Joel's decision. Must just be because I'm getting older.

Thanks Cartridge Club for motivating me to replay such an amazing game. I eagerly await the next monthly game that I can get involved with.

alatinolawyer
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:12 pm

I wrote what felt like a book, only to hit "submit" and be told I needed to log in (I was logged in) and have the post disappear.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It was a great episode. I have a lot of thoughts. I side with Kathryn on a lot of her positions.