CCPrime #58 - June 2018 - Axiom Verge

Home of the official Cartridge Club podcast!
Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

CCPrime #58 - June 2018 - Axiom Verge

Post by Round2Gaming » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:19 am

A failed scientist dies in an accident, only to awaken in a mysterious, alien world. Where is he? How did he get here? And why do the fundamental laws of reality appear broken?

PlayStation 4 or PlayStation Vita. Nintendo Wii U or Nintendo Switch. Microsoft Xbox One or Microsoft Windows. Pick your platform, then join the Cartridge Club, as we play through Thomas Happ's acclaimed love letter to the Metroid franchise.

Life. Afterlife. Real. Virtual. Dream. Nightmare. It's a thin line. Its AXIOM VERGE.

Musty Hobbit
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Re: CCPrime Ep. 58 - Axiom Verge

Post by Musty Hobbit » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:28 pm

I really enjoyed this and hope everyone gets a chance to play it (it's certainly on enough platforms that there's not really an excuse not to). Love the aesthetic, and it really takes some of the Geiger-esque stuff that Metroid was built on (taking inspiration from Alien)and amps it up.

Music is fantastic, weapons give you pretty much anything you'd possibly want (but the flamethrower is the way to go).
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:55 pm

I just finished this not too long ago, so I won't play along, but I do have some comments on the game.

Looking at how long the takes most people to finish I can only conclude that I was terrible at this game. That's not too surprising since I spent a lot of time lost. Or dying.

I quite enjoyed the game, I liked the look, the music, and all the different weapons and special items. It made it fun to traverse the world once I got a number of those upgrades. I'm going to admit that I did not pay any attention to the story at all though. I have no idea what the game was about other than shooting bads and getting lost.

My biggest complaint about the game is the noise when you're low on health. I wish there was a way to turn that off, it made me want to murder something.

Calebjross
Gaming Since (Year): 1987
Favourite Genre: 2D puzzle platformer
Favourite Game: Super Metroid

Post by Calebjross » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:42 am

About 3 hours in, but I've only played 2 bosses. With these kind of games, I spend a LOT of time trying to get overpowered. It's just how I have fun with them. Metroid. Xeodrifter. I shoot every nook and cranny for powerups. So, I'll probably put in at least a dozen hours.

Curtiss
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Game: Mega Man X

Post by Curtiss » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:24 pm

Loved this game. Too many power-ups and unnecessary items, but that's for the explorer with too much time on his hands anyway. Agreed with the dumb low health beeping. Boss designs get an A+. Great choice for the club!

bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Post by bassguy654 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:34 am

Curtiss wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:24 pm
Loved this game. Too many power-ups and unnecessary items, but that's for the explorer with too much time on his hands anyway.
[Tweet]https://twitter.com/bassguy654/status/1 ... 41698?s=19[/Tweet]

Hey I resemble those remarks! XD

I found myself getting lost in the soundtrack it was so good! Also, with my background in chemistry in kind of a sucker for games where you play as a scientist or engineer. The game hit all the right buttons for me, the exploration, the music, the level design, interesting story, and great visuals. I love just running around Sudra and blasting rocks, while uncovering new items. Whenever I couldn't progress it was usually due to missing an item, so I always knew to go to another section and look for an upgrade or item I was missing.

The bosses were giant and multidimensional with several attacks, a remember one boss required you to take out several of its cannons before you could attacking core. The story was interesting enough, I usually don't pay a lot of attention to it in these games. The only boss I had trouble with was the Ukhu, so after dying over and over I just explored until I got some more power and health nodes and he was much more managable.

My favorite track was Cellular Skies, I would stay in Eribu to explore and listen to this track. I actually went to listen to the soundtrack while I was reading assays at work, and I never listen to modern game soundtracks outside of the game! There is a bit of item and weapon bloat in the game, I think I mainly stuck to 3 or 4 weapons after I collected the 12 that are in the game. I think I also missed the explaination of the passcodes and where to find them, so I just looked those up.
The final boss, Athetos, was a bit of a letdown. I thought he was too easy or I was just overpowered, but I did find it cool that a Rusalki aided Trace in the battle.
Crazy to think Thomas Happ, one man, produced thus entire game too! I definitely enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone interested in Metro is style games.

Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

Post by Round2Gaming » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:19 pm

I had a really good time with this one as well. Felt that, despite the obscene amount of weapons, each one came in handy at some point in the game. The Axiom Disruptor got me through the beginning. The powerful Kilver helped me win those close-combat scenarios. The Reflector was great for those around-the-corner bank-shots. The Intertial Pulse was probably my most-used. Until the Ion Beam and Flame Thrower. Heck, even that Rygar knock-off helped me finish the last boss.

Music was good. Level design was great. Don't think it'll stick around in memory quite like Super Metroid, but definitely a fantastic play.

Will save most of my thoughts for the podcast.

Calebjross
Gaming Since (Year): 1987
Favourite Genre: 2D puzzle platformer
Favourite Game: Super Metroid

Post by Calebjross » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:07 am

I've got about 65% of the map opened. I feel like I've been playing forever. Still having fun, though.

BuriedOnMars
Gaming Since (Year): 1981
First Console: Commodore Vic 20
Favourite Genre: Games
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Half Life

Post by BuriedOnMars » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Woah! Those are some stats Dean!

A little treat for you fans of "Dean's Forums"

Type in JUSTIN BAILEY in the password section.
Attachments
20180613110727_1.jpg

braselthegamer
Gaming Since (Year): 1988
Favourite Genre: Action Platformer
Favourite Game: Morrowind

Post by braselthegamer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:41 am

I just finished it tonight. It was my second time through the game.

Had a lot of fun with it again. Didn't find everything but that's okay. Still fun to search for stuff. Next time through I'll look for more crap.

My favorite weapon is by far Kilver. I don't mind getting in close to most enemies. Other than that the Ion beam is neat and I like the flamethrower too. Used the flamethrower on the final boss and beat him pretty soundly that way.

I love the graphics and the music. Not much else to say beyond that. Great game.