CCPrime #59 - July 2018 - Street Fighter 2

Home of the official Cartridge Club podcast!
Musty Hobbit
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

CCPrime #59 - July 2018 - Street Fighter 2

Post by Musty Hobbit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:52 pm

July will be our first fighting game, the arcade and 16 bit classic - Street Fighter 2!

What version are you playing? Who are your favorite fighters? Share your experiences with us as you play along all month!
Last edited by Musty Hobbit on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

RetroPixel
Gaming Since (Year): 1987
First Console: GameBoy
Favourite Genre: Platform
Favourite Game: Turtles In Time

Re: CCPrime #59 - Street Fighter 2

Post by RetroPixel » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:26 pm

My history of playing Street Fighter 2 goes way back to early childhood initially seeing at the local variety corner store, then renting from video outlet & been hooked ever since. Must admit was a period where Mortal Kombat was dominant in my early teen years but never really put down what has become a true Capcom classic that set groundwork for what all fighters since following has used. I have a soft spot for the first Street Fighter 2, before all the turbo, hyper, combos etc... but don't get me mistaken that the incremental revisions/updates with all those prior mentioned features plus added characters helped to solidify it's place in arcades, homes & tournaments across the globe without loosing mainstream momentum.

In closing my top personal choices for fighters include: Ken, Cammy, Bison and Vega but the best stage audio track ever to get your blood pumping for a 1 V 1 battle is Guile's Air Force Base.

Enjoy fighting it out during the month of July all.

JB (RetroPixel)

alatinolawyer
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:37 pm

I love the Street Fighter 2 series. It's probably my favorite series of all time, due to the deeply nostalgic roots it has for me.

I got my SNES in order to have SF2 at home. I went on to obtain Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Super Street Fighter 2 in my youth. I can't think of any other series that compelled me to buy iterations of essentially the same game three years in a row. I have no regrets. My favorite to play in the arcade was Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting. My favorite to play at home was Super Street Fighter 2 on the SNES as it had slightly more forgiving input for your specials, but I was not as enamored with some of the changes to the characters.

I'll be playing Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the SNES Classic. I'm just having fun giving my son the second controller, setting his attack power to max and mine to the minimum and letting him get a big head start on me every match. He laughs at all the special moves and the way the characters look when they're dizzy.

My favorite stage music was Blanka's. My favorite stage art work was Ryu's. My favorite stage background characters were Balrog's. My favorite sound effect was Tatsumaki Senpukyaku. My favorite fighter was Ryu. My favorite way to finish off an opponent was with a shoryuken (I died many a death in matches I had definite leads in because I would insist on pulling off a dragon punch to get a slow motion celebration shot).

I could go on forever about this game, but I'd rather just play it some more. Have fun guys!

poyopotpie
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Post by poyopotpie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:57 pm

So who here owns the 30th Anniversary Collection and on what consoles? Maybe we can do some online stuff to make this CCPrime experience even more unique.

braselthegamer
Gaming Since (Year): 1988
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action Platformer
Favourite Game: Morrowind

Post by braselthegamer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:58 pm

I'm going to play a variety of Turbo and Super for SNES, and the HD Remix on PS3.

My favorite character has always been Ryu. I'm not a huge fighting game fan, but between Street Fighter 2 and the Soul Calibur series, I play enough of them. I'm excited to play through some Street Fighter this month. It's been awhile.

RyHoMagnifico
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VI

Post by RyHoMagnifico » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:29 pm

It's been a long time since I got my Street Fighter II on! I've been playing Turbo the last couple of nights and it hasn't been pretty. I remember being much better at this game, haha.

I've been playing as Ryu, but I plan on doing a run as Blanka, as well. I always wanted to be really good as Blanka, but I just couldn't hack it against projectile fighters like Ryu/Ken or Guile in the arcade, so I switched to Ryu.

After my performance last night, I don't think I could beat my cat at SFII.

RyHoMagnifico

Post by RyHoMagnifico » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Just cleared Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the SNES for the first time in a long time! I had some trouble with Vega and Sagat, but it was a blast. I think I'll try Blanka next, but that'll be a serious challenge for me, I think.

braselthegamer
Gaming Since (Year): 1988
Favourite Genre: Action Platformer
Favourite Game: Morrowind

Post by braselthegamer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm in the same boat. I use Ryu because I can't fight without projectiles. lol
I do want to play through as a few other characters. I beat SF2 Turbo and Super SF2 on SNES with Ryu last week. I was surprised at how big of a graphical improvement Super Street Fighter 2 had in the cutscenes. The music was completely different too. Honestly though, I'll take the music from Turbo as well as the old voices over Super any day.

RyHoMagnifico

Post by RyHoMagnifico » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:10 pm

I wish I had a copy of Super hanging around. I didn't really care for most of the new characters, but I was pretty good with Cammy in that game. I remember thinking at the time that Super got a decent upgrade in graphics, as well, but I don't have a copy to compare.

alatinolawyer
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:00 pm

So I bought myself the 30th Anniversary Collection on Switch for my birthday.

They are arcade perfect ports. The thing that really stands out is just how much detail got crammed into an SNES cart, especially for Turbo and Super. I can see the added things that are in these games and they are really the most minute of details. I still love this game but find the arcade modes are more challenging than SNES ports. Maybe it's just the joycons, but then again I felt like I could navigate USF2 with relative ease.