CCPrime #59 - July 2018 - Street Fighter 2

Home of the official Cartridge Club podcast!
User avatar
poyopotpie
Rank: Tomb Raider
Rank: Tomb Raider
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:19 pm
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3
Location: Sugar Land, TX

Re: CCPrime #59 - Street Fighter 2

Post by poyopotpie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:24 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:00 pm
So I bought myself the 30th Anniversary Collection on Switch for my birthday.

They are arcade perfect ports. The thing that really stands out is just how much detail got crammed into an SNES cart, especially for Turbo and Super. I can see the added things that are in these games and they are really the most minute of details. I still love this game but find the arcade modes are more challenging than SNES ports. Maybe it's just the joycons, but then again I felt like I could navigate USF2 with relative ease.
Have you noticed the issue with Alpha 3 in that version, or have they patched it? Upon release the move inputs for Alpha 3 were off and not 100% responsive on the Switch port.

User avatar
retro_mojoe
Rank: Lab Rat
Rank: Lab Rat
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:56 pm
Gaming Since (Year): 1987
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Re: CCPrime #59 - Street Fighter 2

Post by retro_mojoe » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm

I'm hoping to give this one a go.

Joined the club a year ago and then opened a game store right around the same time so I haven't had much time to interact or play very much.

I played the SNES ports of SF2 and Turbo extensively and used to be able to beat the original version on difficulty 7 with all 8 characters without having to continue.

I doubt I could pull that off now but will definitely try.

If I remember correctly, if you beat the game on difficulty 5 or higher without continuing you get a special / extended credits sequence which has a really nice soundtrack to go along with it.

User avatar
RyHoMagnifico
Rank: Tomb Raider
Rank: Tomb Raider
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:12 am
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VI
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Contact:

Re: CCPrime #59 - Street Fighter 2

Post by RyHoMagnifico » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:57 pm

retro_mojoe wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm
I'm hoping to give this one a go.

Joined the club a year ago and then opened a game store right around the same time so I haven't had much time to interact or play very much.

I played the SNES ports of SF2 and Turbo extensively and used to be able to beat the original version on difficulty 7 with all 8 characters without having to continue.

I doubt I could pull that off now but will definitely try.

If I remember correctly, if you beat the game on difficulty 5 or higher without continuing you get a special / extended credits sequence which has a really nice soundtrack to go along with it.
I don't know if I've ever completed it on a higher difficulty than the regular setting! I'll have to try with Ryu and see these extra credits.

User avatar
alatinolawyer
Rank: Warrior of Light
Rank: Warrior of Light
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:44 am
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Location: DeWitt, Michigan

Re: CCPrime #59 - Street Fighter 2

Post by alatinolawyer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:05 pm

retro_mojoe wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm
I'm hoping to give this one a go.

Joined the club a year ago and then opened a game store right around the same time so I haven't had much time to interact or play very much.

I played the SNES ports of SF2 and Turbo extensively and used to be able to beat the original version on difficulty 7 with all 8 characters without having to continue.

I doubt I could pull that off now but will definitely try.

If I remember correctly, if you beat the game on difficulty 5 or higher without continuing you get a special / extended credits sequence which has a really nice soundtrack to go along with it.
I thought that was level 4 or above I could be wrong.

User avatar
alatinolawyer
Rank: Warrior of Light
Rank: Warrior of Light
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:44 am
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Location: DeWitt, Michigan

Re: CCPrime #59 - Street Fighter 2

Post by alatinolawyer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:06 pm

AgentPoyo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:24 pm
alatinolawyer wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:00 pm
So I bought myself the 30th Anniversary Collection on Switch for my birthday.

They are arcade perfect ports. The thing that really stands out is just how much detail got crammed into an SNES cart, especially for Turbo and Super. I can see the added things that are in these games and they are really the most minute of details. I still love this game but find the arcade modes are more challenging than SNES ports. Maybe it's just the joycons, but then again I felt like I could navigate USF2 with relative ease.
Have you noticed the issue with Alpha 3 in that version, or have they patched it? Upon release the move inputs for Alpha 3 were off and not 100% responsive on the Switch port.
I haven't tried Alpha 3 yet. What is your switch friend code?

User avatar
retro_mojoe
Rank: Lab Rat
Rank: Lab Rat
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:56 pm
Gaming Since (Year): 1987
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Re: CCPrime #59 - Street Fighter 2

Post by retro_mojoe » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:07 pm

RyHoMagnifico wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:57 pm
retro_mojoe wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm
I'm hoping to give this one a go.

Joined the club a year ago and then opened a game store right around the same time so I haven't had much time to interact or play very much.

I played the SNES ports of SF2 and Turbo extensively and used to be able to beat the original version on difficulty 7 with all 8 characters without having to continue.

I doubt I could pull that off now but will definitely try.

If I remember correctly, if you beat the game on difficulty 5 or higher without continuing you get a special / extended credits sequence which has a really nice soundtrack to go along with it.
I don't know if I've ever completed it on a higher difficulty than the regular setting! I'll have to try with Ryu and see these extra credits.
It was one of the 8 or so games I had as a kid and since I only got 1 or 2 games a year I managed to get pretty good at the ones I was able to get my hands on :).

User avatar
poyopotpie
Rank: Tomb Raider
Rank: Tomb Raider
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:19 pm
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3
Location: Sugar Land, TX

Re: CCPrime #59 - Street Fighter 2

Post by poyopotpie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:03 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:06 pm
AgentPoyo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:24 pm
alatinolawyer wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:00 pm
So I bought myself the 30th Anniversary Collection on Switch for my birthday.

They are arcade perfect ports. The thing that really stands out is just how much detail got crammed into an SNES cart, especially for Turbo and Super. I can see the added things that are in these games and they are really the most minute of details. I still love this game but find the arcade modes are more challenging than SNES ports. Maybe it's just the joycons, but then again I felt like I could navigate USF2 with relative ease.
Have you noticed the issue with Alpha 3 in that version, or have they patched it? Upon release the move inputs for Alpha 3 were off and not 100% responsive on the Switch port.
I haven't tried Alpha 3 yet. What is your switch friend code?
I have the PS4 version...although I'm tempted to get the Switch version to fight you, lol.

User avatar
alatinolawyer
Rank: Warrior of Light
Rank: Warrior of Light
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:44 am
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Location: DeWitt, Michigan

Re: CCPrime #59 - Street Fighter 2

Post by alatinolawyer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:58 pm

AgentPoyo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:03 pm
alatinolawyer wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:06 pm
AgentPoyo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:24 pm


Have you noticed the issue with Alpha 3 in that version, or have they patched it? Upon release the move inputs for Alpha 3 were off and not 100% responsive on the Switch port.
I haven't tried Alpha 3 yet. What is your switch friend code?
I have the PS4 version...although I'm tempted to get the Switch version to fight you, lol.
The bug might not be fixed yet for Alpha 3. I can't envision that I'm completely incapable of pulling off a shoryuken. That said the rest of the games are bliss and I'm finding myself splitting my hour of gaming before bed between this collection and Octopath.

User avatar
alatinolawyer
Rank: Warrior of Light
Rank: Warrior of Light
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:44 am
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Location: DeWitt, Michigan

Re: CCPrime #59 - Street Fighter 2

Post by alatinolawyer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:02 pm

retro_mojoe wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:07 pm
RyHoMagnifico wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:57 pm
retro_mojoe wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:54 pm
I'm hoping to give this one a go.

Joined the club a year ago and then opened a game store right around the same time so I haven't had much time to interact or play very much.

I played the SNES ports of SF2 and Turbo extensively and used to be able to beat the original version on difficulty 7 with all 8 characters without having to continue.

I doubt I could pull that off now but will definitely try.

If I remember correctly, if you beat the game on difficulty 5 or higher without continuing you get a special / extended credits sequence which has a really nice soundtrack to go along with it.
I don't know if I've ever completed it on a higher difficulty than the regular setting! I'll have to try with Ryu and see these extra credits.
It was one of the 8 or so games I had as a kid and since I only got 1 or 2 games a year I managed to get pretty good at the ones I was able to get my hands on :).
SF2 was the one game series I gladly played well after getting credits. The toughest character to make it all the way through with was Zangief because his special move was damn near impossible to pull off, but he had killer reach and his suplex was omg powerful.

User avatar
retro_mojoe
Rank: Lab Rat
Rank: Lab Rat
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:56 pm
Gaming Since (Year): 1987
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Re: CCPrime #59 - Street Fighter 2

Post by retro_mojoe » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:09 pm

So I finally dusted off the OG SNES version after not touching it since I was a teenager.

I was surprised that I still remembered how to beat most of the original 8.

My first run was on difficulty 5 with Ryu.

- I made through the first 7 fights pretty well, only having to continue once on Guile who I completely destroyed in the rematch.

- Beat Barlog first try and had to continue once each on Vega and Sagat.

- Bison took about 4 tries to beat. He's so cheap and basically one mistake and you're done.

Loved the ending jingle / cut scene. The final credits screen is a "Congratulations, thanks for playing" with a CAPCOM logo.

Second run I threw the difficulty up to it's highest (7) and chose Ken

- First 7 - no continues
- Barlog - first try
- Vega - had to use 1 continue
- Sagat - he pefected me the first round and then I completely destroyed him in the next 2
- Bison - Jesus Christ is he a bastard. It probably took me about 7 or 8 tries to put him down

The final credit screen for a level 7 completion is the Congratulations with a picture of all the 8 characters.

The main difference I found between level 5 and 7 is that the AI is pretty much the same, however, their attacks deal a crapload more damage than yours do. One mishap and you're usually dead.

During one Bison fight, I had a full life meter and he was almost dead. He got me with a jump kick, combo'd me in the corner and dazed me ... then proceeded to throw me, run after and catch me and throw me again as I was hitting the ground from his first throw.

Other goals since I'm back into it

- beat the game on level 7 with every character (going to be tough with Zangief, Dhalsim, and E Honda)
- beat the game on level 5 or above without continuing to get the even "special-er" ending credits
- fire up Turbo and complete the game with the 4 boss characters on level 7.

Post Reply