CCPrime #60 - August 2018 - Super Mario World

Home of the official Cartridge Club podcast!
alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: CCPrime #60 - Super Mario World

Post by alatinolawyer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:43 pm

I do not have much history with this game. I think the first time I saw an SNES was when my dad took me to his friend Dorian's house, and he had bought himself an SNES with Super Mario World. It looked bright and cool, but I remember not being blown away by it. When I got my SNES a year or two later, I went with SF2 as my first game and SMW got passed over for posterity.

I've now played through more of it on my SNES Classic and it's quite charming. I got stuck in the Wood area so I stopped playing, but I can say that the levels are fun, the music is catchy, the controls are tight. A few levels were rather difficult once you got to World 3, but nothing you can't figure out the timing and patterns to after a while. It's a fun game to play and I enjoy watching my son grab the SNES Classic controller and mess around with a few levels as well.

retro_mojoe
Gaming Since (Year): 1987
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Post by retro_mojoe » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:05 pm

Started this one up yesterday as it was a Holiday and got up to Bowser Valley before packing it in for the day. 74 / 96 levels complete.

I had 2 files already at 96 stars so this run will "platinum" the cart for me so to speak.

I typically play through the game once every couple of years and have a blast.

My first experience with the game was shortly after the release of the system my mom rented it from the local Videoflicks for the weekend.

I had only seen a couple of screenshots in Nintendo Power so I had no idea what to expect. When the into started playing I was blown away by the graphics and how much better they were than the NES. It's a moment I will truly never forget and replaying the game reminds me of it every time.

A couple of things I noticed this playthrough which are probably pretty obvious to most people but I never really thought of before this run.

1. I think it's neat how the cape does not show up until level 2.

World 1 introduces you to Yoshi and spin jumps and lets you get used to those new elements as opposed to throwing everything new at you at once. I think it's a great pacing tool and it really makes the first 2 worlds feel like a nice intro to the game. After World 1 and 2 you have all the knowledge required to complete the rest of the game

2. It's cool how you can get a preview of Bowser Valley as some of the secret levels are located there

I thought it was neat how the Donut Plains secret area let you see a preview of the last level. It's kind of a cool moment and gets you excited / terrified to make it to the end.

Overall I still think the game is a masterpiece and am pumped to finish it off this week.

Musty Hobbit
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Musty Hobbit » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:54 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:43 pm
I've now played through more of it on my SNES Classic and it's quite charming. I got stuck in the Wood area so I stopped playing, but I can say that the levels are fun, the music is catchy, the controls are tight. A few levels were rather difficult once you got to World 3, but nothing you can't figure out the timing and patterns to after a while. It's a fun game to play and I enjoy watching my son grab the SNES Classic controller and mess around with a few levels as well.
Without getting too far ahead of things with the podcast and all, I'd never made it past the woods until my last playthrough. I find it odd that a few of the levels (there's another one in World 6) basically force you to find the 'hidden' path to proceed.
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

retro_mojoe
Gaming Since (Year): 1987
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Post by retro_mojoe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Musty Hobbit wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:54 pm
alatinolawyer wrote:
Without getting too far ahead of things with the podcast and all, I'd never made it past the woods until my last playthrough. I find it odd that a few of the levels (there's another one in World 6) basically force you to find the 'hidden' path to proceed.
Luckily I had a Nintendo Power Subscription back in the day and received the Mario Mania players guide before I got my SNES. I read that thing cover to cover several times while I waited to receive the SNES for my birthday.

I had most of the secret exits memorized by then. Most of them are pretty intuitive with the exception of one of the Chocolate Island ones where you can only access it if you speed run the stage. I don't believe this one stops you from getting to the end though.

Now a-days if I get stuck in a game I'll try on my own for a bit but then it's off to Youtube to get the solution as I don't have the time to spend getting stuck for days on end giving my limited time for gaming.

FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Post by FranticSociety » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Musty Hobbit wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:54 pm
alatinolawyer wrote:
I think that's the theme of forest of illusion, try to change perception on which direction is correct. Like levels going in weird directions, and being unable to advance even if you get the "goal post" exit. It makes you feel like you're lost in the woods. At least that's how I interpret it
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

alatinolawyer
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:16 pm

braselthegamer wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:43 pm
Uh. Shameless promotion for my SMB3 vs SMW video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qrO6aSBIGM&t=201s
This video almost single handedly changed my feelings about SMW when I first saw it a few months back. I grew up with the NES trilogy of games and to me the SNES should have launched with something a hell of a more ground breaking. 13 year old Diego thought SMW was just kind of ho hum and I was ready for Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, Super Metroid, Star Fox, etc. So I've always held a prejudice to SMW.

But then I watched Brasel's video and I was convinced to give it a thorough playthrough even before it was announced as the GotM and that's when I started to truly enjoy it. I still won't go as far as to say I like it better than SMB3, that's be like admitting I liked the White Sox as much as the Cubs and that just ain't happenin'

FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Post by FranticSociety » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:19 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:16 pm
braselthegamer wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:43 pm
Uh. Shameless promotion for my SMB3 vs SMW video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qrO6aSBIGM&t=201s
This video almost single handedly changed my feelings about SMW when I first saw it a few months back. I grew up with the NES trilogy of games and to me the SNES should have launched with something a hell of a more ground breaking. 13 year old Diego thought SMW was just kind of ho hum and I was ready for Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, Super Metroid, Star Fox, etc. So I've always held a prejudice to SMW.

But then I watched Brasel's video and I was convinced to give it a thorough playthrough even before it was announced as the GotM and that's when I started to truly enjoy it. I still won't go as far as to say I like it better than SMB3, that's be like admitting I liked the White Sox as much as the Cubs and that just ain't happenin'
Idk, Super Mario World is REEEALLY GOOD! :P
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

Chasethemadgamer
Gaming Since (Year): 1995
First Console: Nintendo
Favourite Genre: Action
Favourite Game: zombies are my neighbors

Post by Chasethemadgamer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:30 pm

I loved this game growing up and made me want to Master it and find everything in the game. Many years down the road I found many more secrets and ways to make it through quicker. I have played this game not long ago and beat for a 12 hour live stream I did for a buddy of mine on Twitter and was happy to finish it on there. If anyone has not played this I would say play it