CCPrime #43 - March 2017 - Beyond Oasis

Home of the official Cartridge Club podcast!
Administrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

CCPrime #43 - March 2017 - Beyond Oasis

Post by Administrator » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:39 am

This month we take a look at a hidden gem from the Genesis, Beyond Oasis. This Zelda style action adventure game receives high praise from most people who play it. By all accounts it's also a fairly quick play through coming in at around 6 hours. Is this a game you've played before? Have any tips or tricks? Playing along for the first time and want to share your thoughts? Let's get the ball rolling!

Game trailer:
phpBB [video]

Kathryn
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Re: Episode 43 - Beyond Oasis

Post by Kathryn » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:57 pm

I was asking Myles about this game last night because I REALLY want to play along this month. I'm sad that we couldn't play Paper Mario: TTYD in time, but I definitely want to play it some day!

I'm thinking of starting my own personal "CC Backlog Challenge" where I play all of the titles that have been CC Games of the Month. No time limits - just a personal challenge for me, since I only recently joined the club and have yet to play along with the GOTM.

I might skip Mini Ninjas, though... :P

Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

Post by Round2Gaming » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:46 am

Sounds like a great challenge, Kathryn! There are some incredible titles over the past 42 episodes.

Just started Beyond Oasis this evening. I like the premise, and can definitely appreciate the 16-bit achievements. Reminds me a lot of Secret of Mana. But something is just striking me as 'blah'. I'm thinking it's my mood, and not the game :)

I'm going to put it down for now, and start again over the weekend. Think I'll have a much better experience.

Curious to hear who else is playing this one.

Musty Hobbit
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Musty Hobbit » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:46 pm

Round2Gaming wrote:
I managed to rent a copy of Sonic's UGC for the weekend while waiting for Zelda, so looks like I'm going to try to knock this one out before that! I'm excited.
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Post by polykill_travis » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Musty Hobbit wrote:
Round2Gaming wrote:
I managed to rent a copy of Sonic's UGC for the weekend while waiting for Zelda, so looks like I'm going to try to knock this one out before that! I'm excited.
Curious, how do you rent games these days? Is that a RedBox thing? GameFly?

Is there an ancient relic video store in the heart of Iowa? Because that would be awesome.

Musty Hobbit
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Musty Hobbit » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:25 pm

polykill_travis wrote:
Curious, how do you rent games these days? Is that a RedBox thing? GameFly?

Is there an ancient relic video store in the heart of Iowa? Because that would be awesome.
I've certainly done both Redbox and GameFly in the past (during my true Achievement Hunter phase), but now we have a brick and mortar shop (Family Video) and it's attached to a Marcos Pizza.

A >$10 food purchase nets a free 5-night movie rental, and they've got rent one get one on some of the older video game releases. Pricing overall is decent (they have a special monthly membership which nets you 1/2 price rentals but I don't go enough to make back it profitable). Also, they don't always get things right away (I asked them yesterday if they had the WiiU Breath of the Wild and he couldn't confirm when they'd get it in) and in some cases, they don't get things at all (e.g. this shop isn't getting Switch titles for the foreseeable future, for example, but others in the chain are).

Overall, they seem to be doing well since they came in a couple years ago and there's not really any competition in the area.
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

poyopotpie
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Post by poyopotpie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:06 pm

I plan to play this game this month. This will be my first Cartridge Club game.

Slightly worried though because I'm so obsessed with Horizon Zero Dawn right now, lol.

Cho-cho McGamejoy
Favourite Genre: Possibly RPG
Favourite Game: Cannot be narrowed down.

Post by Cho-cho McGamejoy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:03 am

"Luckily" enough, I won't be able to be distracted by Horizondue to not having a PS4. I probably would be quite distracted by it, as it seems like a kind of game I would like. But I should enjoy Beyond Oasis thoroughly, and will be playing it. I've already begun it, though I haven't yet found a path to the goal to the west of the first town.
Cho-cho McGamejoy
Living well through super-fun games!

Cho-cho McGamejoy
Favourite Genre: Possibly RPG
Favourite Game: Cannot be narrowed down.

Post by Cho-cho McGamejoy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:03 pm

I'm enjoying this game a lot so far. I've done the first temple and gotten the first spirit, but I learned only after beating the first boss that you can
attack his claw to take out one of his attacks instead of just killing him.
I like that in this game we have a wider range of beat-em-up style moves for attacking rather than the smaller assortment of attacks more typical to this genre, though I don't like the fact that "crouch" and "jump" are assigned to the same button. I'm used to holding the jump button to jump longer or higher, not to do the opposite of jumping. And despite the game supporting a 6-button controller, it uses those extra buttons to quick-access menu items instead of optionally allowing you to separate the jump and the crouch.

I find myself dashing almost everywhere, because the walk speed is a little too slow for my taste, but only after I've been to an area already and taken the time to appreciate the art design. So far, the game has been generous with the health item drops, but the health bar is long enough that I don't feel the need to use them very often. It looks like I'll run out of room for them eventually, so I should probably be a little more liberal with them.

Weapons like swords and crossbows, on the other hand, I'm saving for bosses, once I learned that they're limited-use items.

I found it strange that I wasn't allowed to save the game inside the castle near the king and princess (my father and sister), when that's supposedly my home. I guess you can only save in outdoor locations.
Cho-cho McGamejoy
Living well through super-fun games!

Retro Revolutions
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Sega master system
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Terranigma

Post by Retro Revolutions » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:47 pm

I own this title so I am going to crack into it again today can't wait I think I really enjoyed this one back in the day