CCPrime #46 - June 2017 - Final Fantasy 4

Home of the official Cartridge Club podcast!
Administrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

CCPrime #46 - June 2017 - Final Fantasy 4

Post by Administrator » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:44 pm

This game is the reason the CartridgeClub podcast was created. P2 and I were playing it in August of 2013 on different platforms (PSP for him, DS for me) and we were having a blast discussing it with each other. It was at that moment we decided that playing games with friends and talking about it would be awesome.

This 16-bit JRPG from Squaresoft is one of many to grace the SNES originally and for many North American gamers it was their first exposure to role playing games with deep (up for debate) stories. Whether it's your first time or your fiftieth time share your thoughts with us here and let's all take a trip to Baron together.

Game trailer:
phpBB [video]

polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Re: Episode 46 - Final Fantasy 4

Post by polykill_travis » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:07 pm

I've started many o' Final Fantasies and finished exactly 0.

I'm hoping this is where I break through.

#LaliHo

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:14 pm

I started playing this a couple weeks a go to try to get a bit of a headstart. I'm still only a couple hours in though. I'm playing the SNES version on the Retro Pi.

It's very strange coming into this game for the first time after playing so many of the later FF games (I've finished VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2 and quit on XII and XIII) and having very limited experience with any pre-PS1 JPRGs (Chrono Trigger is the only one I've played and I didn't finish it). There have been so many little quality of life and accessibility changes as the series went on. I expect to find them here, but they are absent. For example, a description of what spells/abilities do - It's confined to the manual. No little in-game descriptions for those, or listing of stats on weapons you're looking at in stores. It makes it difficult to know what an upgrade is if you're not playing with the manual open on your lap (or phone).

Also, some things which I think should work from later game experience don't. Like when I run into zombies, I can cast cure on them to injure them but using a Cure item on them does nothing.

So it's taking some getting used to, but I'm enjoying it so far. My favourite thing is that the party is constantly changing, giving you lots of different abilities to use and learn about. I also LOVE that you can have more than 3 people in your combat party. RPGS that let me have 4 or more people are A+ in my book, which is one of the (many) reasons Star Ocean 2 has always been a favourite of mine.

Also, I always thought the FF7 soundtrack was great. However, I also thought it was original but apparently they just copied most of the themes from here.
Last edited by Pam on Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

SelfDestructow
Gaming Since (Year): 1986
First Console: Colecovision
Favourite Genre: Tactical turn based
Favourite Game: River City Ransom

Post by SelfDestructow » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:53 am

I love this game! I've only ever played the SNES version and it was the first video game I ever beat. I bought a copy for the PSP and it arrived last week. I'm already 10 hours in and super excited to play through to the end this month.

The only copy of this I saw when I was young was the copy we rented, weekend after weekend, from our local rental store and eventually bought from them (cart pictured below). It wasn't until many years later when I saw other cartridges that I realized that the label was supposed to be red! The FFII label will always be yellow in my mind's eye. Not sure what exactly happened to ours before we got our hands on it. I'd say it was probably sun damaged but I'll never part with it or replace it with a 'better quality' cart. I picked up a manual and box for it only a few years ago.

It blew my mind when I heard that they were going to make a 'sequel' to FFII/IV and I couldn't wait to try it out. I played through The After Years episodically as it was released through the summer of '09 via the Wii virtual console and was not disappointed. I think my saves from that play-through should still be on my Wii, maybe I'll dig it out when I get the chance and snap a pic or two for this post. I'd like to revisit The After Years again this month too, if I have time, and I'm definitely going to check out FFIV Interlude which is included on the PSP version but I don't think it was ever part of the WiiWare releases.

Also hoping to find one of the rare 'summon drops' on this play through. The only one I've gotten before is the Imp/Goblin one. Anyone else ever luck into one?

Fitgnat
Gaming Since (Year): 1996
First Console: Sega Genesis

Post by Fitgnat » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:19 am

I've put about five and a half hours into this on the PSP version (emulated since I couldn't find a reasonably priced copy) and it hasn't been the best experience so far. Doesn't help that one and half hours of that was spent lost in caves or, somehow, the overworld.

Strangely, I seem to be having similar quality of life issues with it as Pam even though I'm playing the fourth remake of the damn thing and have very little experience with the franchise. Yes, items and abilities have descriptions, but only outside of battle. Equipment also has more of an indication of what it does, but it's still hard to tell if it's really an upgrade or not.

I guess I also missed the one jackass in some corner of the castle that tells you the "Flee" command is mapped to the SHOULDER BUTTONS! As someone who has played Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Lunar and an assortment of other non-FF turn-based RPGs, I still had to look that up.

I'm not bad at this style of game. I'm not an expert at them, but I usually do alright. This game makes me feel like an absolute moron at times because it just doesnt seem intuitive. (Why does the overworld map require a spell to view?!)

Sorry for the rant but this game absolutely baffles me. Still continuing with it in the hopes it all starts to make sense... I am enjoying elements of the story and characters.

SelfDestructow

Post by SelfDestructow » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:58 am

I can appreciate your rant! It's really interesting to me to hear about other player's first impressions of the game. I've played it so much over the years it seems like I've kind of forgotten about some of the game's shortcomings. I still have trouble remembering a few of the item functions while in battle, mainly because some of the item names seem to have changed from one version to the next.

Also, your post has reminded me of how long it can take to get through the game if it's your first or second crack at it. The more I play it the shorter it seems. The random encounters are pretty frequent as far as I can tell compared to other rpgs and it can get quite frustrating especially when you're backtracking and not exactly sure where to go. After 11 hours now, I'd guess I'm nearing halfway done. Obviously it really cuts down your play time when you know exactly where to go, what items to grab and who to talk to to advance the story.

I hope you stick with it and are able to enjoy it!

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:20 pm

The random battles can be annoying. At the very start of the game when I was looking for the first town, it took way longer than it should have. Usually when I enter a new area I go around the edges of the map. Of course, the town was smack dab in the center so I wandered around for a long time. Now I'm using the manual or a walkthrough when I leave a town to see what direction I should be heading in to get to the next objective. That's making things a lot less frustrating.

SelfDestructow

Post by SelfDestructow » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Oh jeez, lost in the desert right out of the gates! That's unfortunate. I would agree that taking a peek at a guide or walkthrough every now and then is a good way to save yourself some time and grief without really spoiling any of the story. Interestingly, it seems that in the PSP version they've added more detailed NPC text interactions giving a little more guidance as to where the next objective may be or just a more thorough explanation of events.

I wonder if this is the case with the DS and GBA versions as well?

Musty Hobbit
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Musty Hobbit » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Despite being a self-declared Final Fantasy fanatic, I missed the SNES entirely, so this is my first time through (I also decided to wait on FFVI until after this one is completed). I'm playing the PSP version, and it's stunning. I'm generally a fan of turn-based RPGs, so it's no surprise that I'm enjoying myself thus far.

I'm about 8 hours in at this point (I'd started early in April, but took a break after meeting the big bad for the first time), and just got myself some aerial transportation. The shifting party makeup is nice, and I hope that those who have left us (willingly or otherwise) find their way back into the mix.
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:01 pm

My first final fantasy experience was with FFI on the NES. To say that this game is an improvement is an understatement. I remember playing this the summer of 1994 after a kid in my geometry class gave it a glowing review.

My parents were not into buying me games at full price so I was relegated to renting this, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger from Blockbuster. It was pretty mind-blowing but impossible to complete in the weekend if be permitted to keep it. You guys have fun, can't wait for the episode!