CCPrime #46 - June 2017 - Final Fantasy 4

Home of the official Cartridge Club podcast!
ItsRocketSauce
Gaming Since (Year): 1988
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Re: Episode 46 - Final Fantasy 4

Post by ItsRocketSauce » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:40 pm

I think the Nintendo Switch might have changed the way i enjoy gaming. What I mean is, that i regret not getting this game for the GBA. I would have loved to take this game with me to work to do all the boring grinding, and plug it into my GameCube when i get home to do the fun stuff. instead i have to slug through this on the SNES :(

That being said, I'm only about 2 hours in and this game still hasn't grabbed me. it feels like every other turn based JRPG. I haven't given up yet but this isn't a good sign. Now that I have beaten Donkey Kong on the Gameboy I can focus completely on this game.

Kathryn
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Post by Kathryn » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm

CartridgeBrosP1 wrote:Kathryn - You don't NEED any of the optional summons as my last play through on PSP I didn't bother with them and finished it off just fine. You also don't need Nuke/Flare (Rydia learns this at level 60) it just makes the final battle very easy.
Thanks, Sean! This is all very helpful. I'm starting to think that maybe I'm a bit too low level? I think my peeps are all floating around level 40. I'm not sure that I can do enough damage to Odin before he wipes my team, so it's good to know that I don't really need him!

But, I don't want to be too discouraged with a super difficult final fight, so I think I'll maybe put in some grinding time. This is good news for Myles because it gives him free reign of the PS4, which I'm sure he'll be using to play Wolfenstein whenever it arrives. Heh.

ItsRocketSauce - I totally get not wanting to slog through all the grinding (I kinda go into a trance and turn on auto-pilot, heh), but I encourage you to maybe see more of the story. I have been very pleasantly surprised by how engaging and emotional it can get.

MrsQDawg
First Console: Aquarius Computer
Favourite Genre: Not sure
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda WW HD

Post by MrsQDawg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:08 am

Just spent 2 hours that we're wasted by being annihilated. The caves underground have ramped up way more than I have and this game is becoming less enjoyable. Oh sure you can run as long as you're not ambushed or attacked from the back, or they're monsters when you open a chest. The fun level has dropped down to zero, which is a shame since I was enjoying my first FF. I am 31 hours in because of so much grinding, which doesn't bother me except that it doesn't do any good when you run into more than 1 Malboro and whatever those stupid dead trees are. And I'm way under level for the Moon and that's supposed to be even worse. I can't help feeling beaten down and not wanting to continue.

CartridgeBrosP1
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy IV

Post by CartridgeBrosP1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:56 am

MrsQDawg wrote:Just spent 2 hours that we're wasted by being annihilated.
A wipe (or TPK if your a Dungeons and Dragons player) is one of the most frustrating things that can happen in any RPG. I have had 2 myself during this play through of FFIV and after both I was left angry, frustrated and not wanting to play. I usually put the game away for the rest of the day after this happens as I don't want to have those negative feelings tied to any story beats that might follow. My usual style when exploring a dungeon is to attack with the front row guys (Cecil and whomever else I have that is capable of solid melee strikes) and defend with Rydia while group healing with Rosa (Cure3/Curaga or Cure4/Curaja). Most groups of enemies don't hit hard enough to counter her spells. If the fight has more than 2 enemies in it I'll have Rydia summon (either Titan or whatever elemental damage the monsters are weak to) and damage the whole group. I'll clear to the save point (each dungeon has at east 1) and ten tent/save and move on. Knowing the save point is usually before a boss or mini-boss I'll run from most fights between it and the boss. Once I bet them I always go right back to the save point and tent/save again.

The only place this changes is on the moon when clearing the Lunar Subterrane. Here I'll clear to a Behemoth fight and then return to the surface for a tent/save. Rinse and Repeat. This serves two purposes:

1. It's a little bit of extra grinding which helps with the last couple levels before the final fight
2. It is a safe way to clear out those Behemoth fights that can't be run from and that you need to kill.

I know total party kills are frustrating and I wouldn't blame you if you walked away, but if you dive back in I know you'll be able to save the world!

Curious as to what levels you are after 31 hours, I'm at about 12.5 or so and I'm around level 40. I had a wipe myself last night and put the game down. I'll be going back at it today though ^.^
You think our rage... a weakness? Then let me show you how wrong you are!

MrsQDawg
First Console: Aquarius Computer
Favourite Genre: Not sure
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda WW HD

Post by MrsQDawg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:52 pm

Starting up again with Cecil at Level 40, other characters at 36, 38,-39, 40. I do what you said about characters with Melee and Rosa/Rydia. Decided to scrap the Sylvan Cave. I thought I would try to do everything, but that's a side quest and the rewards from the Cave are not worth much. We'll see where the Cave of Summons leaves me today. Happy and Satisfied or Frustrated and angry :p

CartridgeBrosP1

Post by CartridgeBrosP1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:18 am

Float is your friend in the the summons cave. In all honesty though you're high enough level that you shouldn't need to do the side stuff. Just carry on with the main story and you'll be alright. I'm currently on the moon at the same level you are now and it's doable

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:07 pm

Is there a way to reorder your spells? Tellah's spell list is just a mess. Why aren't all the cure spells together? (I'm playing on SNES).

I feel like I'm already getting to a point where I'm not strong enough. I'm currently looking for a dark elf and my characters do not have the mana to keep everyone alive with the amount of damage enemies are doing to me. Also, I can't use any metal and I don't have a weapon for Kain, so he's useless and it's hard to kill anything. I feel there will be a point in the near future where I will be too low level to kill things and I'd rather not play anymore than grind. I think Kain is level 20.

Kathryn
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Post by Kathryn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Pam - in the menu when you select magic, I think when you first click the spell, your cursor blinks, then you can basically pick another spell and it will swap places (you can do the same with items). It took me a long time to figure that out - I finally decided to investigate when I got sick of the enemies getting extra attacks while I was scrolling through all spells.

I think my first 5 spells for Rosa are all her healing and rez spells, and things go much more smoothly now.

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks Kathryn!

CartridgeBrosP1

Post by CartridgeBrosP1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Pam wrote:I'm currently looking for a dark elf and my characters do not have the mana to keep everyone alive with the amount of damage enemies are doing to me. Also, I can't use any metal.
This cave has a magical enchantment on it that prevents the use of metal and u tilt it is broken the best thing to do is run from all the fights. When you get to the Dark Elf an event takes place that will sort that mess out.