CCPrime #47 - July 2017 - Portal

Home of the official Cartridge Club podcast!
Administrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

CCPrime #47 - July 2017 - Portal

Post by Administrator » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:21 am

This month we are playing Portal, a puzzle game that neither of the Cartridge Bros have ever tackled before.

Portal is a first-person puzzle-platform video game developed by Valve Corporation. Set in the Half-Life universe, Portal centers on a woman, Chell, forced to undergo a series of tests within the Aperture Science Enrichment Center by an artificial intelligence computer, GLaDOS, that controls the facility. Each test involves using the "Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device" - the "portal gun" - that creates a human-sized wormhole-like connection between nearly any two flat surfaces. The player-character or objects in the game world may move through portals, their momentum conserved. This allows complex "flinging" maneuvers to be used to cross wide gaps or perform other feats to reach the exit for each test chamber. A number of other mechanics, such as lasers, light bridges, tractor funnels, and turrets, exist to aid or hinder the player's goal to reach the exit.

Have you played Portal before or is this your first time as well? Let us know your thoughts below!

Game trailer:
phpBB [video]

ItsRocketSauce
Gaming Since (Year): 1988
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Re: Episode 47 - Portal

Post by ItsRocketSauce » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:10 pm

Thank you for selecting this game. it's been on my backlog for sometime. I've always heard good things about it, and for me, this game delivered. It's not a very long game, and for a game to play in the summer, this was perfect.

Some really fun puzzles in this game. I was cruising along nicely until I hit the last part of Chapter 18. I knew what I had to do, but i just couldn't execute it. I looked up on YouTube if there was an easier way of doing it, and i couldn't find one. Thanks to Dean, there was an easy solution that i completely missed.

The end credits song, "Still Alive", is fantastic, and the lyrics for it are great. One of my favorite lines is "maybe Black Mesa. that was a joke. ha ha, fat chance." this song is stuck in my head as i write this post.

I might dip my toes into Portal 2 this month, because i really enjoyed this game.

Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm excited to play this! I played it on PC a long time ago (I wish Steam would tell me the dates I got the achievements on so I could tell). This time I will be playing on 360.

vintagevideogamegeek
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Colecovision
Favourite Game: Bionic Commando (NES)

Post by vintagevideogamegeek » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:05 pm

Love, love, love this game! Everyone should play it at least once. I most recently finished the game last November/December when I was experiencing some major depression. I found that the puzzle aspects helped keep my mind sharp and it also served as a good distraction from negative thinking. In really do believe that video games can help people heal from mental illness. There needs to be more studies on this!

Calebjross
Gaming Since (Year): 1987
Favourite Genre: 2D puzzle platformer
Favourite Game: Super Metroid

Post by Calebjross » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:52 pm

I, too, love this game. Portal 2 is amazing as well, so if you like this one, definitely play the next.

vintagevideogamegeek

Post by vintagevideogamegeek » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:32 am

The second one is better, but you need to play the first one to get the most out of part 2!

FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Post by FranticSociety » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:46 am

It's a really great game with awesome humor and clever puzzles.
Any excuse to replay it, I'm down.

The sequel is also incredible, it's worth it if you enjoy the first...
Portal 2 just adds more, and has J.K. Simmons and Steven Merchant which is definitely a plus.
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

MrsQDawg
First Console: Aquarius Computer
Favourite Genre: Not sure
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda WW HD

Post by MrsQDawg » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Just started playing last night. I think I'm at Level 16 already. I'm progressing better than I thought I would. I have to keep remembering it's not as difficult as it seems.It's like mentally this puzzle looks hard, then I'm like "oh wait, just put the portals here and there and avoid the dangers". Love that this is quick and easy after FFIV last month. This may be the first time I complete two club games in a row.

Musty Hobbit
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Musty Hobbit » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Couldn't be happier seeing people enjoy this for the first time. This game came out of nowhere, and I agree - the second game builds on this so well. I'm looking forward to the Bros going through it - I bet the two of you could get it done in 2 sittings, easy.

Fun fact - my sister's wedding procession was to an acoustic, instrumental version of "Still Alive".
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

vintagevideogamegeek

Post by vintagevideogamegeek » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Musty Hobbit wrote:Fun fact - my sister's wedding procession was to an acoustic, instrumental version of "Still Alive".
Ha! That is cool and weird at the same time.