CCPrime #48 - August 2017 - Journey

Home of the official Cartridge Club podcast!
singlebanana
Gaming Since (Year): 1980
First Console: Atari VCS 2600
Favourite Genre: action
Favourite Game: Shadow of the Colossus

Re: CCPrime Ep. 48 - Journey

Post by singlebanana » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:04 am

Whew! Lots of people on our site are being kind of harsh on this game, but I really enjoyed it. I finished it last night and I'm just going to copy my post from our thread here:

I finished Journey last night in one sitting. I enjoyed my time with it and my only regret is not exploring a little more. Beautiful game and an incredible soundtrack. There's just something about playing a game this beautiful. I understand the gameplay criticisms, but with a 2 hour game, I could care less. Beautiful, haunting, life affirming.... shut off what you know about games and just enjoy the ride.

MightyQDawg
Gaming Since (Year): 1979
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Metroid Prime

Post by MightyQDawg » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:28 pm

I finished Journey for the first time this past weekend. I played it in one sitting and enjoyed it. I'd like to go back and play it again sometime.
I was hoping for an experience like Musty's, but lost track of my partner during the last area. We had ascended the mountain together and collapsed at roughly the same time. Unfortunately, during the next area (that involved a lot of flying) we got separated. I saw a few pings here and there, but they were far off and I couldn't quite tell if it was my companion or one of those flying creatures. By the time I got to the mountain, I'd lost all sight of my companion. I made the ascent, but no one was waiting at the top. I then backtracked a bit and waited, but still no one. After a several minutes I decided to make my final ascent to complete the game. Alone. Suffice it to say, I was a bit more disappointed and sad at this conclusion than I thought I would be.
Given how short the game is (it took me 3 hours to complete), it's hard for me to complain about the experience. Though it would not make my Top 100 Games of all time, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this game. Recommended.

--
Eric

NotoneAU
Gaming Since (Year): 1981
First Console: Sega Master System, C64 if I'm honest
Favourite Genre: Platformer
Favourite Game: Mayhem in Monsterland

Post by NotoneAU » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:15 pm

Looks like there are a couple of us trying to sneak in reviews towards the end of the month.
I am disappointed in myself because I got myself into a position to play this game at the start of the month and just haven't been able to get around to it.

I'll admit this game did seem quite hyped, also have to say I am playing it offline, which from what I can see detracts from the experience.

I am up to the part where you fall down and it is really dark and there is a save stone. Not too far into the game.

I am enjoying the magic mythical tale that the cut scenes tell. Also as everyone has mentioned it is gorgeous. The musical score matches just perfectly as well.

A few people have mentioned wanting to go back and explore but I couldn't really see the point unless you were with friends. I like how it just sort of leads you from point to point.

It reminds me a bit of Shadow of the Colossus because of all the decrepit buildings.

I feel like the character moves so slowly but I guess the payoff is when it comes to sand-surfing and it feels so fast and exciting. I would like to be able to jump even just a little bit whenever I wanted. The floating/flying around with the jellyfish-carpets was very relaxing.

I think I will eventually finish this, maybe even today as it sounds like it is not a long game.

I went back and finished it almost immediately ;)

Extra thoughts. The main character design is a bit Studio Ghibli but I don't like the scary face. I wish it looked a bit more like a wooden mask, or less scary.

I only got 2 trophies which is 9% so there really is a lot you can go back and do.

Overall it seems really short but worth it. Glad the pack has the extra 2 games. (I already played Flow on PSP but I have wanted to play Flower for a while) I also found out it has a couple more games so I feel like even without playing those games it is a pretty good package.
The enemies(?) are kind of scary but not scary.

The tower of light section, just so much beauty.

The walk in the snow lasts just a bit long (I guess it was designed to feel that way, and when you pop out of the clouds and see the blue sky... Just amazing.)

Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:18 pm

I really liked this episode of the podcast. As my journey with Journey (aha!) not as special as it was for other people, I was concerned about what there would be to talk about - but you all brought the deep thoughts and I really enjoyed.

singlebanana
Gaming Since (Year): 1980
First Console: Atari VCS 2600
Favourite Genre: action
Favourite Game: Shadow of the Colossus

Post by singlebanana » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Pam wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:18 pm
I really liked this episode of the podcast. As my journey with Journey (aha!) not as special as it was for other people, I was concerned about what there would be to talk about - but you all brought the deep thoughts and I really enjoyed.
Ahhhh! Thanks Pam. You da best!

Fun podcast to be a part of and as we hinted at, let's do it again next year. ;)