Media Mavens Ep. 40 - This Is Why There's Two of Us

Discuss your favourite, or not so favourite, movies, shows and video games with the Media Mavens!
Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Media Mavens Ep. 40 - This Is Why There's Two of Us

Post by Pam » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:08 pm

https://mediamavens.simplecast.fm/d25b5968

We recorded the 40th episode of Media Mavens on International Podcast Day! It's just Pam and Riley talking about what we've been doing these past weeks. Pam laments spending three hours of her life watching Batman vs Superman and Riley lets you know why you've been seeing so much KPOP on her Twitter feed lately.

What we've been up to

(00:01:18) The Handmaid's Tale (this is full of spoilers! skip ahead to (00:08:04) if you're looking to avoid them)
(00:08:04) Orphan Black
(00:10:50) It
(00:18:49) Batman v Superman
(00:25:29) Gaga: Five Foot Two
(00:34:12) The Big Sick
(00:36:34) Call the Midwife
(00:41:54) Star Trek: Discovery
(00:48:15) BTS comeback

Listener Questions (00:55:08)

(00:55:18) I would love to hear your thoughts on It as well as what (if any) innovation you have seen in the horror genre in recent years (@The_Doc_Webb)
(00:58:55) Have you been avoiding Destiny spoilers or have you been watching all the videos and checking out exotics? @Orkchop
(01:02:23) Does Planescape Torment still hold up? And is it even possible to get and play a copy on modern systems? @Orkchop
(01:03:53) What’s the first podcast you ever remember listening to? @alatinolawyer
(01:06:01) Can you both recommend a book for me to read? I’m open to all topics and genres. Maybe one we could all review after on a show (CC or MM) @CartridgeBros
(01:12:01) What are some of your favourite board games? Ever play Dungeons & Dragons or another tabletop RPG? @FlockofNerds
(01:18:03) Do you usually have a goal of playing a certain number of games per month or per year? @MrsQDawg
(01:19:44) Do you have any good memories about video game fashion? Like an MMO party or competition, cosplay, a character design that stuck with you, etc? @ActWon1 (https://www.engadget.com/2012/01/23/the ... -000-gold/)
(01:27:55) What do you think of Twitter expanding to 280 characters? @Orkchop

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: Media Mavens Ep. 40 - This Is Why There's Two of Us

Post by alatinolawyer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Well done friends. Loved the episode. You know, I remember reading Stephen King's It when I was in 6th grade on a family road trip to New Orleans. I remember a few sexual scenes between the adults, but I do not recall an orgy with the kids? I'm either mentally blocking it out or maybe I never finished the book???

I liked hearing the stories of playing D&D in person. I have only played a couple of times in my life, and both have been within the last 5 years. One of my friends from church invited me and my wife (whom I would never have expected to take up someone's offer on D&D) and we played with a small group of friends and I was pleasantly surprised, but I think it was mainly because this friend did a hilarious job as a DM and kept us all very entertained.

Pam

Post by Pam » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks Diego, this was one of my favourite episodes to record so I'm glad you liked it. I looked up that scene from It and it does seem to be a thing that happened. Yuck. Glad they didn't include that in the movie.

poyopotpie
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Post by poyopotpie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Probably my favorite episode since I started listening to your podcast.

Pam

Post by Pam » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks AgentPoyo!