Media Mavens Ep. 47: Constantly Delighted by Something

Discuss your favourite, or not so favourite, movies, shows and video games with the Media Mavens!
Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Media Mavens Ep. 47: Constantly Delighted by Something

Post by Pam » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:35 pm

https://mediamavens.simplecast.fm/38c542d8

Today we're talking about our favourite media from 2017.

What we've been up to

(00:00:53) OxenFree (Riley)
(00:05:00) Overwatch and Mercy nerfs (Pam)
(00:10:40) Pyre (Riley)
(00:13:10) Valley (Pam)
(00:15:01) Octodad (Riley)
(00:19:20) Horizon: Zero Dawn (Riley)
(00:30:10) Key & Peele (Pam)
(00:31:22) Along with the Gods (Riley)
(00:36:02) This is Us (Pam)

The Best of 2017

(00:39:38) Best Games - Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Sexy Brutale, Overwatch League, Cuphead, What Remains of Edith Finch
(00:51:32) Best Movies - Goblin (tv), Train to Busan, Okja, The Big Sick, Get Out, Wonder Woman (WW episode of Movies with Mikey)
(01:02:20) Best TV - The Handmaid's Tale, Claws
(01:06:32) Best Podcasts - The Secret Life of Canada, Switchblade Sisters
(01:11:28) Best Books - The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet

Listener Questions

(01:13:23) What was a 2017 game that surprised you, either in a good or bad way? @CGRRRRRRRR
(01:15:50) What was your favourite move you pulled off in Overwatch? @Orkchop
(01:19:39) Favorite new Twitter accounts you followed in 2017? @alatinolawyer
(01:23:24) What’s your favorite esport to watch and who’s your favorite team or player? @Orkchop
(01:27:00) What is your favorite Cartridge Club Game of the month? @hiddlestonlovr

Myles
Gaming Since (Year): 1988
Favourite Genre: Avant-Garde
Favourite Game: River City Ransom

Re: Media Mavens Ep. 47: Constantly Delighted by Something

Post by Myles » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:48 pm

I made some notes while listening at work amd it was a busy day. I make no excuses, but I added a picture of my notes so you can see what I'm working with here. I apologize for jumping all over the chronology of the episode.

1) Riley and HER FIRST SUBTITLED MOVIE IN THE THEATRE!?!?! She loves Korean content so much and this was the first Korean film she saw at a cinema?!? Kathryn and I see a couple of Korean films at the Toronto Film Fest every year. You can/should join us.

2) Hidden Agenda - Yeah, that was a huge disappointment. It felt like it was just humouring us with options and interactivity. I can't imagine a successful party situation that involves that game.

3) Kathryn and I just watched "Get Out". LOVED IT. I think it's pretty dumb that movie was nominated in the Comedy/Musical category at the Golden Globes. That's more offensive than not nominating it at all.

4) Sexy Brutale! I said this on FB already, but we grabbed this game on your recommendation. SO IT BETTER BE GOOD!

5) Eating Ults. I forget what I wanted to say about this...just that it's awesome??? I guess. Good stuff.

Enjoyed the episode as always. Cheers!
Attachments
20180108_164000.jpg

Pam

Post by Pam » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Those are some impressive notes.

I also think it was ridiculous that Get Out was nominated as a Comedy - especially since it didn't even win.

I hope you like Sexy Brutale. I think Kathryn will really dig it.

CartridgeBrosP1
Gaming Since (Year): 1988
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy IV

Post by CartridgeBrosP1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:28 am

I had no idea Jordan Peele was the director of Get Out! That blows me away, almost as much as anyone thinking that movie fits in the comedy category...

Great show ladies!
You think our rage... a weakness? Then let me show you how wrong you are!

Pam

Post by Pam » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 pm

CartridgeBrosP1 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:28 am
I had no idea Jordan Peele was the director of Get Out! That blows me away, almost as much as anyone thinking that movie fits in the comedy category...

Great show ladies!
Thanks! Apparently Jordan Peele is also going to be working on a new Twilight Zone series. I'm really looking forward to that.

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm currently playing through OxenFree now (in between Doom sessions) and I'm enjoying it. The radio is really almost like a game in itself, there have been times I just turn it on for the hell of it to see what random noise or static it picks up. The Switch version has HD rumble influence when you use the radio so it has a cool tactile response to getting close and I like that.

My wife goes to this thing called Mom 2 Mom at our church and apparently a lot of the moms there were gushing about This is Us - they all were like "oh I love the husband, he's just such a great guy... except for the alcoholism." So apparently he's great but his life is also the heartbreaking part of the show. We were tempted to see what it's all about and seriously we didn't make it past 3 or 4 episodes. It wasn't compelling, it's clear that the adopted child wasn't fully included by the family and I found the mother's ambivalence to the adopted child strange considering how much they played up the perfect timing of this baby showing up.... and what social services agency would just say "oh yeah you lost a baby, well here's a baby, it's abandoned and you're not related, but sure here ya go!" It was too much.

Here's to a great 2018 and many more Media Mavens podcasts!

Riley

Post by Riley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Myles wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:48 pm

1) Riley and HER FIRST SUBTITLED MOVIE IN THE THEATRE!?!?! She loves Korean content so much and this was the first Korean film she saw at a cinema?!? Kathryn and I see a couple of Korean films at the Toronto Film Fest every year. You can/should join us.
oh my gosh yes!! I'd love to!

Pam

Post by Pam » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:45 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:50 pm
My wife goes to this thing called Mom 2 Mom at our church and apparently a lot of the moms there were gushing about This is Us - they all were like "oh I love the husband, he's just such a great guy... except for the alcoholism." So apparently he's great but his life is also the heartbreaking part of the show. We were tempted to see what it's all about and seriously we didn't make it past 3 or 4 episodes. It wasn't compelling, it's clear that the adopted child wasn't fully included by the family and I found the mother's ambivalence to the adopted child strange considering how much they played up the perfect timing of this baby showing up.... and what social services agency would just say "oh yeah you lost a baby, well here's a baby, it's abandoned and you're not related, but sure here ya go!" It was too much.
The think that bugs me is that everything is the heartbreaking part of the show.

The mother is ambivalent yet oddly controlling and possessive at the same time. The show drip-feeds information. These might be spoilers but you said you lost interest
Fairly early on you find out the dad is not with the mom in the current timeline. Why not? Are they divorced? Did he die?
Eventually the answer to that comes. Then the question is what happened? That one hasn't even been answered in the 10 episodes I watched.
The constant questions raised and reveals can work for me in a sci-fi show, or something like Lost, but in a family drama? Exhausting.

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Don't worry Pam I wasn't spoiled. And honestly, I'm on the philosophical question of spoilers, I'm on the side of "knowing the plot doesn't really ruin the movie" - thank you Let's Watch 2 Movies!
I got to the point in the show where you realize that the mom is now with the dad's best friend from the past. That was enough for me to be like, ok, I'm out. A) Friend had dropped plenty of hints to dad that he's sitting on a gold mine of a wife, but B) that doesn't mean it'll make good TV to let that turn into reality. I've essentially heard that dad dies from cancer or something like that, but his alcoholism or something makes him a complicated character that you both sympathize with and are frustrated by. But I doubt I'll ever go back.

AgentPoyo
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Post by AgentPoyo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:01 pm

I'm trying my best to get back caught up with my podcast content so obviously I had to start here. Was a great episode. I'm finding that I enjoy the episodes of just you 2 girls more and more.
Pam wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:35 pm
What we've been up to
(00:10:40) Pyre (Riley)
(00:19:20) Horizon: Zero Dawn (Riley)
(00:30:10) Key & Peele (Pam)
I haven't tried Pyre yet, but I'm slowly thinking of doing so. Sucks that it seems neither of you enjoyed Transistor's combat; I freakin' love that combat; especially because the final boss can do everything you can do. I have a small statue of Red I love that game so much.

It was such a joy listening Riley talk about her love for Horizon: Zero Dawn. The game impacted me in just about the same way but for different reasons as I'm someone who is tired of each new game being open world. However this game engaged me greatly in the combat and story and while for me, personally, the tribes weren't enough to grab my attention I did still enjoy doing the quests. Quest rewards in this game was still great enough to warrant doing everything; even the fetch quest-y stuff. As far as when Riley was crying at the end...I think I know what scene it was.
Was it when Aloy finds Elisabet's body in that armor suit outside of her home?

And I love Key & Peele. Their skits are so great. My top 3 are probably the Slave Trade one, The Substitute Teacher, and when they try to talk about standing up to their wives but they keep getting interrupted.
Pam wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:35 pm
Listener Questions
(01:23:24) What’s your favorite esport to watch and who’s your favorite team or player? @Orkchop
(01:27:00) What is your favorite Cartridge Club Game of the month? @hiddlestonlovr
As a DOTA2 fan this past International was one of the best ones in the history of the tournament and while I do not follow the Esport like I used to, Team Liquid--the team that won--and their leader KoroKy would be my favorite for this past year.

As for my favorite Cartridge Club game of the month this past year I have to also go with Mass Effect 2 I suppose.
Pam wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 pm
CartridgeBrosP1 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:28 am

Great show ladies!
Thanks! Apparently Jordan Peele is also going to be working on a new Twilight Zone series. I'm really looking forward to that.
He also wants to make an HBO-esque show that takes place during the time of Slavery in America I believe.