Media Mavens Ep. 48 - A Knife Taped to a Roomba

Discuss your favourite, or not so favourite, movies, shows and video games with the Media Mavens!
Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Media Mavens Ep. 48 - A Knife Taped to a Roomba

Post by Pam » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:03 pm

https://mediamavens.simplecast.fm/7670a114

Our guest today is Katherine Cross! She is a Ph.D student in sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center, and freelance writer, columnist, and cultural critic.

What we've been up to (00:02:57)
OrcaCon (Katherine)
(00:04:06) Rumu (Katherine)
(00:05:15) Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 (Riley)
(00:08:44) Thumper, Crypt of the Necrodancer (Pam)
(00:11:06) Doctor Who (Katherine)
(00:13:56) Chef and My Fridge (aka Please Take Care of my Refrigerator) (Riley)
(00:17:20) America's Next Top Model (Pam)
(00:18:24) Shadows of the Mind (Katherine)
(00:20:45) Overwatch League (Riley)
(00:25:19) Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pam) - [Spoiler warning!] We talk about spoilers around the 29:10 mark, so skip ahead to our main segment to avoid them!
(00:30:47) What We Do in the Shadows (Pam)

Black Mirror (00:31:36)
What is Black Mirror?
(00:32:15) Opening thoughts/discussion
(00:45:32) Themes in the show - people misusing technology
(00:49:37) Stand out episodes - San Junipero, Black Museum, USS Callister
(01:02:52) Katherine's USS Callister article discussion

Listener Questions
(01:27:28) I always hear Black Mirror brought up alongside the Twilight Zone. Do you feel it is comparable to Twilight Zone in terms of them both being reflective of the anxieties of their time, or is Twilight Zone not a fair comparison? (@The_Doc_Webb)

Myles
Gaming Since (Year): 1988
Favourite Genre: Avant-Garde
Favourite Game: River City Ransom

Re: Media Mavens Ep. 48 - A Knife Taped to a Roomba

Post by Myles » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 am

So I had to skip the Black Mirror stuff as I'm not completely caught up, but there was a lot of great stuff in the first half hour so far!!!

Thumper has basic mechanics that are difficult to master. I got stuck on the second level and I can't make it passed the boss. I had to let it go. It probably has something to do with my inherent lack of rhythm. Conceptually, I should like Crypt of the Necrodancer, but it asks for too much for too little. It being a rogue-like on top of a rhythm game dungeon crawler is overwhelming.

Cook, Serve, Delicious is a game I've never had the pleasure of playing. The Hot Plate Expansion seems essential. Ever since Kathryn and I played Overcooked, I'm a lot more open-minded about cooking games.

Kathryn has been super into OWL which means I've been super into OWL. I kid, I actually really enjoy it. We can't wait to see which of the all Korean teams are going to wind up on top. I feel like it is going to be a lot closer than the general consensus believes. XQC is a piece of garbage, in what world is that an acceptable thing to do? When I see that sort of stuff happen in casual online games I just think it's some kid that doesn't know any better. Guess I could have been playing against XQC and didn't know it. I hope he doesn't get to come back next season. The Overwatch League is a promotional league for entertainment, these people are entertainers and role-models. There's no room for that sort of attitude. Casual players and fans need to see it's not okay to say hateful things to anyone, THIS IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT HERE! I've seen like 10 year old kid in that audience.

Ridiculous.

Last Jedi was full of whimsy. Loved it.

Pam

Post by Pam » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Myles wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 am
Thumper has basic mechanics that are difficult to master. I got stuck on the second level and I can't make it passed the boss. I had to let it go. It probably has something to do with my inherent lack of rhythm. Conceptually, I should like Crypt of the Necrodancer, but it asks for too much for too little. It being a rogue-like on top of a rhythm game dungeon crawler is overwhelming.
I think I got stuck on a 4th level boss in Thumper and quit. Maybe I'll be better playing on XBox! I just got to level 4 so we'll see. I found the notes where you had to pound down onto them a real stumbling block.

Overwhelming is a perfect descriptor for Crypt of the Necromancer. I'm not a huge fan of rougelikes in general, but you're right, the combo of that + rhythm + learning enemy patterns in the dungeon is just so much! Too much. I bounced off that game so fast, it almost made me think I didn't give it a fair chance. But I don't think its for me.
Myles wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 am
Kathryn has been super into OWL which means I've been super into OWL. I kid, I actually really enjoy it. We can't wait to see which of the all Korean teams are going to wind up on top. I feel like it is going to be a lot closer than the general consensus believes. XQC is a piece of garbage, in what world is that an acceptable thing to do? When I see that sort of stuff happen in casual online games I just think it's some kid that doesn't know any better. Guess I could have been playing against XQC and didn't know it. I hope he doesn't get to come back next season. The Overwatch League is a promotional league for entertainment, these people are entertainers and role-models. There's no room for that sort of attitude. Casual players and fans need to see it's not okay to say hateful things to anyone, THIS IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT HERE! I've seen like 10 year old kid in that audience.
I've only watched the opening day and one other match so far. It's just so much Overwatch. Also, watching alone is kind of dull, but I'd love to have another get together to watch with other people. I really hope the teams/league continue to take a hard stance against awful behaviour. Online games are so toxic right now the last thing they need is for the pros to demonstrate the same behaviour with no consequence.

poyopotpie
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Post by poyopotpie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:48 pm

My housemate has watched Black Mirror but i do not know if they are up to date with it. I've seen a few episodes, get the appeal, and I get what they are doing, but it is not something I need. I think my father would love Black Mirror though because he loves the Twilight Zone.

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:17 pm

A few days after finishing this episode and I'm still thinking about stuff like redemptive versus punitive justice. Maybe because I'm also reading some theological stuff on the nature of redemptive grace vs justice, and it's all mixed together. It was a really great show and thank you for getting such a great guest to discuss the topics.

As for the non-Black Mirror stuff. Man, I was so pumped leaving the theater from The Last Jedi. It really hit all the notes I wanted it to hit and the surprises in it were all well received by me. I look forward to its eventual release on Blu-Ray so I can pick it up again and pay more attention to the framing of Holdo's big scene, I appreciate when people say - hey you should pay attention to the artistry that is being done at this moment, it's conveying something on top of just the plot and action. I think director's have forgotten what it means to utilize the full aspect ratio of the screen. It's stuff that really mattered before when TVs were 4:3 and you realized a movie that was fully employing wide screen would end up with weird cuts in the "full screen" version on video. But I digress.

Pam

Post by Pam » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:40 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:17 pm
A few days after finishing this episode and I'm still thinking about stuff like redemptive versus punitive justice. Maybe because I'm also reading some theological stuff on the nature of redemptive grace vs justice, and it's all mixed together. It was a really great show and thank you for getting such a great guest to discuss the topics.

As for the non-Black Mirror stuff. Man, I was so pumped leaving the theater from The Last Jedi. It really hit all the notes I wanted it to hit and the surprises in it were all well received by me. I look forward to its eventual release on Blu-Ray so I can pick it up again and pay more attention to the framing of Holdo's big scene, I appreciate when people say - hey you should pay attention to the artistry that is being done at this moment, it's conveying something on top of just the plot and action. I think director's have forgotten what it means to utilize the full aspect ratio of the screen. It's stuff that really mattered before when TVs were 4:3 and you realized a movie that was fully employing wide screen would end up with weird cuts in the "full screen" version on video. But I digress.
I was so happy Katherine came on the show. She's so smart and eloquent and she really brought up a lot of cool points.

As for The Last Jedi, I'm always kind of surprised when people didn't like it. It was just so much fun and so invigorating to me. I also am now really looking forward to the Blu-Ray release, I've been watching the scene with
Rey and Kylo fighting the Praetorian guard
set to different songs and it's so good! I can't wait to watch it in higher quality again.