Media Mavens Ep. 50 - Putting an Octopus to Bed

Discuss your favourite, or not so favourite, movies, shows and video games with the Media Mavens!
Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Media Mavens Ep. 50 - Putting an Octopus to Bed

Post by Pam » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 pm

https://mediamavens.simplecast.fm/40a8ff9f

Maddy Myers joins us this episode to talk about the Overwatch League! She writes at Compete (which is affiliated with Kotaku and Deadspin) and covers competitive video games (aka esports). She also cohosts two podcasts - Let's Watch Two Movies, and an X-Men podcast called The Mutant Ages.

What we've been up to
 (00:02:58)

(00:03:14) Dragonball FighterZ (Maddy)
(00:04:46) Cloverfield Paradox (Riley) some minor spoilers in here
(00:08:50) Zumbo's Dessert's (Pam)
(00:11:41) Riverdale/How to Get Away with Murder/Star Trek TNG (Maddy)
(00:16:42) The Mummy/ Queer Eye (Riley)
(00:19:45) Call of Duty Black Ops 3 (Pam)
(00:22:16) Flame in the Flood & Dropsy (Pam)
(00:25:10) X-Men comics - Gambit and Wolverine; All-New Wolverine (Maddy)
(00:27:18) Olympic Figure Skating The Chinese skater is actually named Jin Boyang, not Bo Jinyoung - Riley goofed

Overwatch League (00:30:28)

What is Overwatch League?
(00:31:14) Do you like OWL?
(00:33:09) Spectator tools
(00:36:44) What strategy or technique have you learned from watching the Overwatch League that’s helped you play better? I’m working on retreating and that I don’t always have to be on the payload? @Orkchop
(00:42:38) Is this league structure new or has it been done? How complicated is it for the average person to watch?
(00:48:29) Investments from team owners, now and in the future
(00:53:54) League structure - City teams
(00:56:18) Atlantic v Pacific divisions - they don't actually matter right now? Home and away games, arenas
(01:00:22) So Many Games - huge time commitment - Nate Nanzer's (the OWL CEO) ideal amount of teams (28?!)
(01:02:27) New schedule for Stage 2
(01:03:34) Where are all the women? (There's one now, there are a few in Contenders - the "minor" leagues - and the top 500)
(01:10:46) Diversifying the casting desk
(01:12:30) Weak excuses for not drafting women players
(01:15:11) Player punishment and behaviour, codes of conduct
(01:19:00) Rascal moving to Dallas, worrying about xQc and the rest of the players
(01:22:30) Media/PR training and sensitivity training?
(01:25:01) With bans and fines coming to the more egregious actions taken by players, what should the league do about some of the more subtle bigotry in various players’ [email protected]
(01:28:53) Are mirror teams a common thing? Is this an Overwatch problem?
(01:31:20) Balancing so many different heroes
(01:35:18) With the changes to Mercy and Junkrat, which heroes do you think will appear more in Stage 2? Do you think any teams will try to stick with Mercy and/or Junkrat? @K_song
(01:41:22) Which team are you most looking forward to watching and see change in Stage 2 of the Overwatch League? @Orkchop

Listener Questions
 (01:43:23)

What’s more fun, a marathon of binge watching OWL or binge-podcast-recording about Mad Max? @alatinolawyer
(01:45:18) Who's your favourite team and player?
(01:46:18) Which team has the best colours?

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: Media Mavens Ep. 50 - Putting an Octopus to Bed

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:20 pm

I loved this episode and I've never played Overwatch. It was great hearing Maddy join you guys. I really appreciated the conversation about behavior and discipline, when you're talking about young people and the fact that they are streaming for hours at a time. My God I could only imagine the trouble I would have gotten if my every random utterance during a day's worth of work was something that could have cost me my career. I'd be alatinogarbageman probably. Not knowing anything about OWL it was really fascinating to learn about the set up and leagues and teams and cities and politics and players and role of women, just all of it was captivating. Keep up the great work.

Pam

Post by Pam » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:02 am

Thanks Diego!

Kathryn
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Post by Kathryn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:52 pm

Yay, Overwatch League!!!

Awesome episode, guys! Maddy was a great guest with a huge breadth of esports knowledge, and I felt like I learned a lot about the inner workings of OWL. I'm curious to see what the league will look like even just a year or two from now, if it survives.

Saebyeolbe is also my favourite player (same as Riley's). I'm always impressed when ANYONE can get people with her pulse bomb, and he does it all the time! Myles and I have landed on NY Excelsior as our team - for Myles, it's because Fl0w3r will be there when he's old enough(!!), which I think means next season. Can't wait!!

Pam

Post by Pam » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Kathryn wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:52 pm
Yay, Overwatch League!!!

Awesome episode, guys! Maddy was a great guest with a huge breadth of esports knowledge, and I felt like I learned a lot about the inner workings of OWL. I'm curious to see what the league will look like even just a year or two from now, if it survives.

Saebyeolbe is also my favourite player (same as Riley's). I'm always impressed when ANYONE can get people with her pulse bomb, and he does it all the time! Myles and I have landed on NY Excelsior as our team - for Myles, it's because Fl0w3r will be there when he's old enough(!!), which I think means next season. Can't wait!!
Thanks Kathryn! Riley and I know a lot of people who would have lots to say about OWL, but I really wanted someone with a more general knowledge of eSports since Overwatch is really my first exposure to them.

I'm also very excited for Fl0w3r for to join the games next season.