Media Mavens Ep. 52 - He Needs Help, Somebody Help Him

Discuss your favourite, or not so favourite, movies, shows and video games with the Media Mavens!
Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Media Mavens Ep. 52 - He Needs Help, Somebody Help Him

Post by Pam » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:42 pm

https://mediamavens.simplecast.fm/53dbcdb9

We're on our own today, and we talk about what we've been up to lately!

What we've been up to

(00:01:48) Jessica Jones (Riley)
(00:04:06) John Wick (Pam)
(00:07:22) Annihilation (Riley - and Pam too!)
(00:10:18) Parks & Rec (Pam)
(00:13:24) Wrinkle in Time (Riley)
(00:18:06) Stardew Valley (Pam)
(00:20:11) Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Pam)
(00:22:24) EGLX & Ganymede's Girls (Riley)
(00:33:39) The Last of Us (Pam)
(00:36:59) Overwatch League (Riley)

Listener Questions

(00:45:12) How are the Ready Player One posters allowed to be so bad?! @the_doc_webb
(00:49:11)What do you think of the Dynasty's Spotify? @OrkChop
(00:51:18) Can we talk about OWL caster fashion? @OrkChop (Maddy's article on the OWL fashion https://compete.kotaku.com/the-overwatc ... 1823206301)
(00:54:47) Who is going to bite the dust in Infinity War and who should bite the dust in Infinity War? @ohhsourry
(00:58:36) What are you favourite non-horror games with creepy undertones (or overtones)? @the_doc_webb
(01:03:05) What are your thoughts on anime art styled JRPGS - the likes of the Tales series, Mana Khemia, Ar Tonelico to name a few @ayligerwolf

Kathryn
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Re: Media Mavens Ep. 52 - He Needs Help, Somebody Help Him

Post by Kathryn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 pm

Yay! I'm caught up now!

I just had a quick thing to say about Stardew Valley. I'm not looking to change any minds here, since I totally get being bored and not getting into the daily chore stuff, but I thought I should mention that you eventually do get faster travel options. Once you upgrade your barn enough to buy a horse, you can use that horse to travel around, much more quickly than when walking. It's similar to WoW! I used to call it "Forrest Gumping" whenever you're too low to have a mount and you have to just run to the next place in order to unlock the flight path. Also, I can't remember exactly how it happens, but eventually the mine carts opens up (there is one near the bus stop), and you can use it to fast travel to a few different places (the only one I can think of is near the blacksmith on the opposite side of town). It allows you to get a LOT more done in a day. :)

Also, that match between Seoul Dynasty and NY Excelsior is probably the best Overwatch that has been televised. It was a total coin toss over who would take it, and both teams seemed to be operating at peak performance. I told my friend who only watches from time to time that, if she only watches one match of OWL, it NEEDS to be that one. I'm also looking forward to the next stage (or maybe even this final week of stage 2?) when teams will be subbing in some more of their new players. I can't wait to see Geguri on stage!

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:16 pm

Delightful episode.

Keanu Reeves. I have a guilty pleasure of Keanu Reeves movies. Sometimes I like his acting in them, sometimes I like the movie and just how he's perfect in all his imperfections for that role. Point Break, Speed, and The Matrix, are probably examples of the latter. The Devil's Advocate is probably an example of the former.

I also envisioned Stardew Valley as a not-as-cute version of Animal Crossing. As much as I liked Animal Crossing for the 3DS, the whole "this never ends" starts to become a haunting specter that looms over my enjoyment, so I stopped playing and sold the game. I probably won't pick up Stardew Valley for that reason, although I know it's well loved by people whose gaming tastes I appreciate.

I'm so happy to hear that Pam is enjoying Mario+Rabbids. Rabbids Peach is my favorite character in that game. She's got such a sassy personality and her attacks and movement were actually some of my favorite to use. Most of the Rabbids characters, other than Mario v Rabbid Mario, were my preferred method of playing - real Luigi especially was such a disappointment.

I loved A Wrinkle in Time growing up. I tried reading it for the first time when I was in either 4th or 5th grade, but I think it was in middle school when I actually made it through the story. I have very vivid recollections of my imagination really jumping into the story with the very first scene, I mean who doesn't love a dark and stormy evening as a plot device? I found it interesting that Riley kept referring to how things happen "in time" with each other in this world and I was like, Yes, that's why it's "A Wrinkle" in time :)

The game Pokken Tournament is actually really fun to play. It's like a mash up of Tekken and Pokemon, in the sense that you have controls similar to Tekken, but with the Pokemon universe, set in a 3D fighter similar to Dragonball Xenoverse. I'm about to say something really controversial here, but I like Pokken Tournament better than I like Smash which always ends up being a button masher for me.

Scarecrow's scenes in Batman Begins are really creepy. I think Riley was confusing the fact that the underlying character (but not as the alter-ego mask wearing villain) shows up in The Dark Knight Rises to do courtroom scenes "That's not my diagnosis" is my favorite line of his in DKR. But in Batman Begins he was a great villain and the effect of the fear gas was truly intense in the theater.

Keep it up and have a great couple of weeks!

Pam

Post by Pam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:12 pm

Kathryn wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 pm
Also, that match between Seoul Dynasty and NY Excelsior is probably the best Overwatch that has been televised. It was a total coin toss over who would take it, and both teams seemed to be operating at peak performance. I told my friend who only watches from time to time that, if she only watches one match of OWL, it NEEDS to be that one. I'm also looking forward to the next stage (or maybe even this final week of stage 2?) when teams will be subbing in some more of their new players. I can't wait to see Geguri on stage!
I also can't wait to see Geguri! I really want to see Shanghai get their first win.

I will need to look up that Dynasty/XL match.

Pam

Post by Pam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:17 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:16 pm
Delightful episode.

Keanu Reeves. I have a guilty pleasure of Keanu Reeves movies. Sometimes I like his acting in them, sometimes I like the movie and just how he's perfect in all his imperfections for that role. Point Break, Speed, and The Matrix, are probably examples of the latter. The Devil's Advocate is probably an example of the former.

I also envisioned Stardew Valley as a not-as-cute version of Animal Crossing. As much as I liked Animal Crossing for the 3DS, the whole "this never ends" starts to become a haunting specter that looms over my enjoyment, so I stopped playing and sold the game. I probably won't pick up Stardew Valley for that reason, although I know it's well loved by people whose gaming tastes I appreciate.

I'm so happy to hear that Pam is enjoying Mario+Rabbids. Rabbids Peach is my favorite character in that game. She's got such a sassy personality and her attacks and movement were actually some of my favorite to use. Most of the Rabbids characters, other than Mario v Rabbid Mario, were my preferred method of playing - real Luigi especially was such a disappointment.
Thanks!

I also really like Keanu Reeves. He's Canadian too! I had kind of forgotten about Speed, but I used to watch that movie so much.

Rabbid Peach is so good! I love her. I don't mind the real Luigi though, he can deal a ton of damage. Though I love Rabbid Luigi's vampire ability so I use him more. At this point I've only got 4 characters.