Media Mavens Ep. 61 - The 500 Words That Matter

Discuss your favourite, or not so favourite, movies, shows and video games with the Media Mavens!
Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Media Mavens Ep. 61 - The 500 Words That Matter

Post by Pam » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:24 pm

https://mediamavens.simplecast.fm/cf21e8f2

Today's Topics:
Games writer, podcast host, and now journal editor, Dia Lacina returned to the show to talk about games we've been playing and her new project, Capsule Crit!

What we've been up to
(00:02:46) Dark Souls: Remastered & taking photos in game (Dia)
(00:10:47) I'm going to Korea! (Riley)
(00:14:27) PSVR games - Moss and Loading Human (Pam)
(00:20:15) Corner Gas (Dia)
(00:24:32) John Wick (Riley)
(00:29:35) Hero U (Pam)
(00:34:29) Millennium (Dia)
(00:40:52) Jumanji (Riley)
(00:46:33) Sense 8 (Pam)
(00:47:58) The Last Man on Earth (Pam)
(00:50:19) Fortune's Pawn (Pam)

Capsule Crit - short form games writing (00:51:36)
(00:52:12) What is Capsule Crit?
(00:53:37) Creating a space for bite-sized writing
(00:58:54) Started as a place to write but you ended up as an editor
(01:02:51) Will there be themed issues?
(01:06:45) Time investment involved
(01:12:12) To write smaller articles, is your writing style one that involves preparation, then distilling it, or more off-the-cuff @eazeapeazea
(01:17:12) Getting request for submissions out there

Contact information
(01:22:02)
Riley @kaleri_
Pam @jasyla_
Dialacina @dialacina

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: Media Mavens Ep. 61 - The 500 Words That Matter

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:39 pm

How exciting for Riley! I'm sure it's going to be the experience of a lifetime to live abroad for an entire year and teach English. I'm just salivating thinking of all the different foods she'll get to experience.

Moss for PSVR sounds so fun. That's my kind of VR experience, I want to play it just the way I'd play a regular video game, sitting down and holding a regular controller. Loading Human, not so much. I've never played Mass Effect (but that would change if Bioware was able to convince EA to release a trilogy pack on Switch, hahahahaha) but I can appreciate when a game is so head and shoulders above other games in its genre (science fiction / space opera) that you buy other games that sound like it hoping it has some of its magic. I can't begin to count the number of times I've tried something because I tell myself (oh that sounds like Super Metroid).... only to find that I'd rather go back and play the original game that I'm so fond of instead of the imitation.

I haven't made it to this part of the podcast yet, but I'm interested in your take on Sense 8. I watched all of Season One of Sense 8 and enjoyed it. I couldn't get too far into Season Two. I really enjoyed some of the relationship connections better than others, I loved the Korean woman when she was able to fight and kick ass, so I was bummed that she could only really do that while syncing with someone since she was in prison rather soon into the show.

Looking forward to hearing about Riley's adventures in Korea.

polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Post by polykill_travis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:32 pm

I like taking the best photos I can in game (usually early on) and making them the backgrounds on my console while I play the campaign. Is that pathetic er no?

Congrats on your opportunity abroad, Riley! That's very exciting, good luck! I hope I didn't miss it - but how does this impact the future of Mavens?

I love John Wick. I wish more "video game movie" producers took note. The light exposition and dialogue works well. You can turn your brain off and just be entertained - but the movie still has some compelling emotional elements as well. Not deep, but it's not all flash and bang. Glad you all enjoyed.

HeroU sounds interesting. I love Persona (5, anyway) and the juvenile fantasy of it all - but things are boring and repetitive at times, as you described with HeroU.

Serial killers in Seattle killing sex workers is the most realistic premise ever. In the 70's through the 90's that place was no place to do sex working. I'm digressing - but I haven't X-Filed or this other show, Millenia?. I need to though - I hear X-Files is rough for the first bit but how can I be a 90's era nerd without it in my repertoire?? Since this is fringing on true crime - barely - I wanted to recommend "I Am A Killer" on Netflix to you Pam. I've watched a few and find it very compelling, you may enjoy it.

Last Man on Earth has been recommended to me a ton but I keep forgetting about it. When I went looking for it the first time, I couldn't find it - wasn't on Netflix which is all I have. Is it on Netflix now? How are you able to watch it? (maybe i missed you say it)

Capsule Crit is a great idea - will check it out.

PS - Diego and Pam, as I'm looking now, each have 609 posts on this forum. Interesting fun fact.

Musty Hobbit
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Musty Hobbit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Of Dia's episodes, I've enjoyed this one the most. She seems really happy with what she's launched here and it was fun to hear her talk about the process for these much smaller articles - kinda has me thinking about trying my hand at writing more (or at all, really)

Moss was soooooo good. It may officially become the game that I use to initially demo VR to people going forward, just because I can be certain that motion sickness will be kept out of the equation.

I'm super happy for you, Riley, but at the same time the selfish listener in me really hopes that the two of you are able to find a way to keep MM rolling (I realize that's a tough thing to even fathom at the moment). Nevertheless, congrats on what you have ahead of you - I'm sure you'll be fantastic at it.
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

Kathryn
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Post by Kathryn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:02 pm

Argh!! I've been busy at work, which has given me a chance to catch up on listening to podcasts, but no time to write in the forums.

Anyway, I loved playing the demo of Moss and we just bought a copy while we were in Chicago, so we will FINALLY get a chance to play the whole thing! We haven't really hooked up the PSVR since we first got it, but I think Moss will be the game that gets us off our lazy butts. I'm glad you liked it, Pam!

Jumanji was a real surprise for me, too! I like everyone in it, so I had a feeling I'd enjoy it anyway, but I actually think it's a really good movie! Modernising it to be a video game was a fun idea, and I really liked seeing how the kids slowly started to understand their in-game abilities.

I started to watch Sense8 when it first came out because I really like the Korean actress in it, but I couldn't quite get into it. I will maybe give it another try because I know a lot of people who really enjoy it.

I'm so glad you are enjoying The Last Man on Earth! That is one of my favourite shows and, while it did dip a little for me, as well, I think the most recent season was great and I'm really looking forward to seeing more!

Dia was a great guest and her new project sounds really interesting. I will definitely check it out!

Pam

Post by Pam » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:36 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:39 pm
Moss for PSVR sounds so fun. That's my kind of VR experience, I want to play it just the way I'd play a regular video game, sitting down and holding a regular controller.

I haven't made it to this part of the podcast yet, but I'm interested in your take on Sense 8. I watched all of Season One of Sense 8 and enjoyed it. I couldn't get too far into Season Two. I really enjoyed some of the relationship connections better than others, I loved the Korean woman when she was able to fight and kick ass, so I was bummed that she could only really do that while syncing with someone since she was in prison rather soon into the show.
Moss is so cute, but I still haven't finished it yet. It's been so hot lately that the last thing I want to do is put the VR headset on. Soon, hopefully.

I really liked Sense 8 season 2, there are a lot more scenes where they are all together (psychically or physically) that I especially enjoyed. I also enjoy Sun's story a lot.

Pam

Post by Pam » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:41 pm

polykill_travis wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:32 pm
I like taking the best photos I can in game (usually early on) and making them the backgrounds on my console while I play the campaign. Is that pathetic er no?

Congrats on your opportunity abroad, Riley! That's very exciting, good luck! I hope I didn't miss it - but how does this impact the future of Mavens?

I love John Wick. I wish more "video game movie" producers took note. The light exposition and dialogue works well. You can turn your brain off and just be entertained - but the movie still has some compelling emotional elements as well. Not deep, but it's not all flash and bang. Glad you all enjoyed.

HeroU sounds interesting. I love Persona (5, anyway) and the juvenile fantasy of it all - but things are boring and repetitive at times, as you described with HeroU.

Serial killers in Seattle killing sex workers is the most realistic premise ever. In the 70's through the 90's that place was no place to do sex working. I'm digressing - but I haven't X-Filed or this other show, Millenia?. I need to though - I hear X-Files is rough for the first bit but how can I be a 90's era nerd without it in my repertoire?? Since this is fringing on true crime - barely - I wanted to recommend "I Am A Killer" on Netflix to you Pam. I've watched a few and find it very compelling, you may enjoy it.

Last Man on Earth has been recommended to me a ton but I keep forgetting about it. When I went looking for it the first time, I couldn't find it - wasn't on Netflix which is all I have. Is it on Netflix now? How are you able to watch it? (maybe i missed you say it)

Capsule Crit is a great idea - will check it out.

PS - Diego and Pam, as I'm looking now, each have 609 posts on this forum. Interesting fun fact.
I think that's a cool idea to use photos from the game you're playing as your console background. I never even thought of doing that... or knew that was a thing you could do.

We talk about the future of the show a bit in the next episode. We're going to try to continue, but shows will probably be less frequent and be less likely to have guests.

A week or two after HeroU came out they put in a small fix that changed my opinion of the game completely. At launch the movement speed was SO SLOW. This made it a chore to explore or go anywhere and really called attention to the poor animation. They increased the speed and suddenly I actually wanted to do things in game.

I will check out I am a Killer, I've seen the trailer on Netflix and it looks cool.

Last Man on Earth is on Netflix Canada, I don't know about where it's available in the states.

Diego and I are now in a battle for most forum posts. You started this.

Pam

Post by Pam » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Musty Hobbit wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:25 pm
Of Dia's episodes, I've enjoyed this one the most. She seems really happy with what she's launched here and it was fun to hear her talk about the process for these much smaller articles - kinda has me thinking about trying my hand at writing more (or at all, really)

Moss was soooooo good. It may officially become the game that I use to initially demo VR to people going forward, just because I can be certain that motion sickness will be kept out of the equation.

I'm super happy for you, Riley, but at the same time the selfish listener in me really hopes that the two of you are able to find a way to keep MM rolling (I realize that's a tough thing to even fathom at the moment). Nevertheless, congrats on what you have ahead of you - I'm sure you'll be fantastic at it.
Thanks Musty, be sure to check out Capsule Crit if you haven't yet. There are now 2 issues out and it's got a really cool and different selection of games people write about (or are inspired by).

Pam

Post by Pam » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Kathryn wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:02 pm
Anyway, I loved playing the demo of Moss and we just bought a copy while we were in Chicago, so we will FINALLY get a chance to play the whole thing! We haven't really hooked up the PSVR since we first got it, but I think Moss will be the game that gets us off our lazy butts. I'm glad you liked it, Pam!

I'm so glad you are enjoying The Last Man on Earth! That is one of my favourite shows and, while it did dip a little for me, as well, I think the most recent season was great and I'm really looking forward to seeing more!

Dia was a great guest and her new project sounds really interesting. I will definitely check it out!
Let me know how you like Moss. I still need to finish it myself.

The Last Man on Earth is so funny. Will and I ordered the final season since it wasn't on Netflix and are eagerly awaiting its arrival. I did find season 3 was great, it was just some s2 episodes that had too much fighting for my tastes.

alatinolawyer
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Pam wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:41 pm
Diego and I are now in a battle for most forum posts. You started this.
Oh it's on