Media Mavens Ep. 62 - Come Visit My Tiny Hut

Discuss your favourite, or not so favourite, movies, shows and video games with the Media Mavens!
Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Media Mavens Ep. 62 - Come Visit My Tiny Hut

Post by Pam » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:18 pm

https://mediamavens.simplecast.fm/b9f36ceb

Pam and Riley return to chat about what they've been up to and the future of the show.

What we've been up to

(00:01:50) No Man's Sky (Riley)
(00:07:16) In a Dark Dark Wood, You (Pam)
(00:11:52) Orange is the New Black s6 - no spoilers for the latest season but we do mention some spoilers for season 5 (Riley)
(00:17:09) GLOW s2 (Pam)
(00:19:01) Experience Points (Riley/Pam)
(00:24:10) Ori and the Blind Forest (Pam)
(00:27:00) New camera (Riley)
(00:29:44) Rampage, Ready Player One (Pam)

Listener Questions

(00:34:20) Curious on your thoughts about Emuparadise removing their ROM archive? @JonathanCellini

Contact information and future episodes (00:37:58)

Kathryn
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Re: Media Mavens Ep. 62 - Come Visit My Tiny Hut

Post by Kathryn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:35 pm

Pam!! Season 2 of GLOW was SO GOOD! I was so happy that it was still a good show. I always worry about having too high expectations for S2 of shows I like. They often disappoint, or are still good, just not as good as the pilot season. I really loved how they branched out and had episodes that focused on the other wrestlers. I thought the Welfare Queen episode was amazing. I can't wait for season 3!!!

I'm very excited for Riley! What a great opportunity for her! But, I am sad that we won't have any Media Mavens episodes for a while. Enjoy your time off, though! I'll be here when you come back. :D

Pam

Post by Pam » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Kathryn wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:35 pm
Pam!! Season 2 of GLOW was SO GOOD! I was so happy that it was still a good show. I always worry about having too high expectations for S2 of shows I like. They often disappoint, or are still good, just not as good as the pilot season. I really loved how they branched out and had episodes that focused on the other wrestlers. I thought the Welfare Queen episode was amazing. I can't wait for season 3!!!

I'm very excited for Riley! What a great opportunity for her! But, I am sad that we won't have any Media Mavens episodes for a while. Enjoy your time off, though! I'll be here when you come back. :D
It was! So good! I also really loved the Welfare Queen episode and how characters like Beirut got some more attention and screentime. I also just adore Betty Gilpin. She's got such an odd and interesting screen presence.

alatinolawyer
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Season 2 of GLOW really was tremendous television. That special episode where it was actually a broadcast of GLOW totally blew me away from a creative standpoint. Like, you are not given any warning or indication that this is it, you just roll with it and eventually you realize, oh shit this is an episode of the production, not the show of the making of the production. And to choose that particular episode to show just after the incident between Ruth and Debbie, like, holy shit, man, amazing.

The only thing I didn't like about Season 2 was the stuff they did with Bash. Like, I had literally forgotten who Florian was or why he mattered so much to Bash and then to have his disappearance and death be such a turning point felt disjointed. Also, when did this supposed swooning for Britannica happen? Seriously?

I will miss Media Mavens for the time being. I'll have to go back and re-listen to some of my favorite episodes and add to my Amazon wish list from the various books and games discussed.

Ori and the Blind Forest looks beautiful, as does Will of the Wisp, if I had an Xbox that would definitely be a must have for me. The next platformer I"m interested in getting for my Switch is The Messenger, which is the Ninja Gaiden love song coming out the end of this month.

Pam

Post by Pam » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:13 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:52 pm

The only thing I didn't like about Season 2 was the stuff they did with Bash. Like, I had literally forgotten who Florian was or why he mattered so much to Bash and then to have his disappearance and death be such a turning point felt disjointed. Also, when did this supposed swooning for Britannica happen? Seriously?
Thanks Diego, hopefully it won't be too long before we can record another episode.

Glow spoilers
I also did not remember Florian at all, so I agree him being such a big plot point for Bash was strange. However, I read most of Bash's story this season as him realizing he's gay. I think his marrying of Britannica was a way to avoid confronting that.

alatinolawyer
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Pam wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:13 pm
alatinolawyer wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks Diego, hopefully it won't be too long before we can record another episode.

Glow spoilers
I also did not remember Florian at all, so I agree him being such a big plot point for Bash was strange. However, I read most of Bash's story this season as him realizing he's gay. I think his marrying of Britannica was a way to avoid confronting that.
OK, now with your reading of Glow Season 2, everything TOTALLY makes sense.