Media Mavens Ep. 39 - I Understand Colonialism Now

Discuss your favourite, or not so favourite, movies, shows and video games with the Media Mavens!
Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Media Mavens Ep. 39 - I Understand Colonialism Now

Post by Pam » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:20 pm

We invited returning guest Dia Lacina on the show this week. We talk about her latest article on Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and what we've been up to.
Today's topics:

Guest intro (00:00:35)

Our guest this week is Dia Lacina!

What we've been up to (00:01:50)

(00:01:55 - Dia) Destiny 2
(00:06:31 - Riley) Hamilton
(00:10:01 - Pam) DOOM, The Banner Saga
(00:12:36 - Dia) XCOM2
(00:15:58 - Riley) Supernatural
(00:19:46 - Pam) XCOM2 War of the Chosen
(00:24:21 - Dia) Battlestar Galactica
(00:30:17 - Riley) Outlander
(00:35:05 - Pam) iZombie, As Above so Below
(00:38:54 - Dia) Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
What Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Gets Wrong About Mental Illness
(00:52:14 - Riley) Long Time Running
(00:57:27 - Riley) The Secret Life of Canada podcast
(01:03:13 - Pam) Fave This podcast
(01:04:10 - Pam) Escape Room

Listener Questions

(01:09:10) Which Overwatch characters do you want to see in a cinematic short? Would you watch a Saturday morning cartoon of Junkrat and Roadhog? @orkchop
(01:11:08) Would you want to do a Pyre episode? I really liked it and want to hear what your playthroughs were like. @orkchop
(01:11:44) Which games do you prefer to play on PC and which games do you prefer to play on console? @orkchop
(01:16:57) What are your thoughts on and experiences with browser-based games/ Have you played any that have managed to keep your interest? @The_Doc_Webb
(01:21:24) Any old tv shows you remember your parents/grandparents watching that deserve a reboot? @alatinolawyer
(01:23:59) What game has the worst story/gameplay description that you’ve ever read, but ending up being a great game to play? @ACDecepticon
(01:25:19) If you were in a position with unlimited money/time/whatever to invent a system to deal with toxic players in OW, what would you invent! @SerrinneWoW

Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

Re: Media Mavens Ep. 39 - I Understand Colonialism Now

Post by Round2Gaming » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Super glad you got a chance to experience an Escape Room, Pam :) I've only done one, but it was Video-Game themed, and I had a blast! Yours sounded really cool too.

Lots of great TV/game convo, but my favourite piece was actually the quick snippet on Banff. It's funny you mentioned that the history isn't taught in our curriculum - because I was just talking to my wife about this a few weeks ago.

Have spent my whole life living here in Banff, so you'd think if 'anybody' was taught the history, it would have been us - but aside from some Names/Dates of key discoverers, none of the gory details were ever brought up at Banff Elementary School or Banff Community High School. It was only after graduating that I found an interest in the Park's history, and it definitely turned over some pretty dark rocks. Listening to The Secret Life of Canada echoed a lot of what I had already learned, and it was great to hear Bill's interview (he's really well known here). Definitely won't say it's "all better", but I know there are a lot of steps being taken to involve the Alberta First Nations in the key decisions. They've recently lobbied to rename Tunnel Mountain back to its "Sacred Buffalo Guardian Mountain", they were heavily involved in the re-introduction of Bison to the Park these past 2 years, heck, even that new Liam Neeson movie "Hard Powder", supposed to bring in $5 million in spending to Alberta, was banned from being filmed anywhere in Banff because the movie's plot featured an aboriginal gang leader. (They've since moved their filming to BC instead).

Anyways, won't get into a conversation of politics or historical uglies here :) But wanted to say thanks for shedding some light on that new podcast. I think I'll definitely be enjoying it!

As always, great episode with a great guest! Looking forward to the next one!

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Pam - "If I ever go back to Chicago I hope it's better than my list trip."

Well my friend, you're in luck! Turns out, CC Chicago 2018 just happens to coincide with a Toronto Blue Jays series against the Chicago White Sox, so Will has finally agreed to bring you down to the Windy City so you can meet all those Cartridge Club Friends that couldn't get to Barrie this summer! I'm sure numerous people will be up for events other than 4 hour long baseball games, so there should be plenty of fun for all those that make it to the reunion.

This is like the second or third time Riley has discussed The Tragically Hip on the podcast, so I'm going to have to check out their music. Thanks for the recommendation!

Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks for listening!
Round2Gaming wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm
Anyways, won't get into a conversation of politics or historical uglies here :) But wanted to say thanks for shedding some light on that new podcast. I think I'll definitely be enjoying it!
Dean - I also gave The Secret Life of Canada a listen, it was very eye-opening. Thanks for sharing what is and isn't common knowledge from someone who has always lived in Banff.
alatinolawyer wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm
Pam - "If I ever go back to Chicago I hope it's better than my list trip."

Well my friend, you're in luck! Turns out, CC Chicago 2018 just happens to coincide with a Toronto Blue Jays series against the Chicago White Sox, so Will has finally agreed to bring you down to the Windy City so you can meet all those Cartridge Club Friends that couldn't get to Barrie this summer! I'm sure numerous people will be up for events other than 4 hour long baseball games, so there should be plenty of fun for all those that make it to the reunion.

This is like the second or third time Riley has discussed The Tragically Hip on the podcast, so I'm going to have to check out their music. Thanks for the recommendation!
Diego - As long as Will isn't sick and grumpy the whole time and I don't have to go to any game stores, I'm sure I'll have a great time. Of course, I could just go around alternately hanging out with CC members, eating all the food, and napping and be happy.

My favourite Hip songs that I'd recommend are:
- New Orleans is Sinking
- 50 Mission Cap
- Bobcaygeon

Maybe Riley could recommend more or a good album to start with.

Riley

Post by Riley » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Diego!

Let's see...

If I'm not too late, some of my favourites are:
Wheat Kings, Music at Work, Ahead by a Century

If you listen through the "Yer Favourites" album, it'll give you a pretty good spread. I'm also partial to their last album Man Machine Poem - I love What Blue and In a World Possessed by the Human Mind. I'd argue World Container is a good album to check out, aaaand also Road Apples.

Let me know what you think! I'm always happy to recommend more :D