Polykill Ep 51: Snap Into a Sim, Jim

These forums are THE place to be when you're not battling backlogs or watching Netflix!
polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Polykill Ep 51: Snap Into a Sim, Jim

Post by polykill_travis » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Do you like managing virtual worlds or driving a truck across Europe? How about growing crops or keeping dangerous inmates behind bars? Episode 51 discusses all the genre of simulation games, with Jake and Trav praising their favorites and what makes sim games just so darn fun. More games are knocked off and onto the backlog as Jake keeps buying games for the Switch.

Audio: http://polykill.libsyn.com/offkillter-1 ... ith-nature
Video: Soon

Thanks for listening.

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Re: Polykill Ep 51: Snap Into a Sim, Jim

Post by Pam » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 pm

I love me some sims, so I really enjoyed this episode!

I've been wanting to play Thimbleweed Park, in fact since my Monkey Island review went up, a dozen people have asked me about that game. One day!

I totally agree about the new King's Quest. Though I did finish it, the amount of backtracking drove me up the wall. Especially in the first 2 episodes. Episode 1 was especially tiring because it lasted way too long. I think it took me 7-8 hours to finish it, which is an absurd amount of time for a single episode. I'm kind of surprised I didn't quit after that. The best chapter was 3 (I think) the contained one where you meet Val and Neice. The writing worked better when you didn't have to constantly trek across a dozen different screens to get anything done. I just played Monkey Island 2 and while it has the same great humour of the first game it was another one that was kind of ruined for me by all the backtracking. Having Guybrush constantly having to travel between 3 different islands was bad.

Some of my favourite sims are Afterlife (where you build heaven and hell) and Theme Hospital which is hilarious and dark as well as a good sim. I'm particularly looking forward to the new Jurassic Park builder coming out next year.

The story about The Sims reminds me of another one I played a lot: Playboy The Mansion. It plays just like The Sims, but you also have to hire writers and take pictures of topless ladies. The game company I worked for published it and I did a lot of QA on the expansion which I believe was called Private Party. One of the things we had to do before we shipped was record all the questionable footage to submit to the ESRB. So I'd try to get all the party guests have sex in as many places as possible. Some would doubt me - "you can't make two women have sex in the bouncy castle, Pam. I've tried." Challenge accepted. The game got an M rating.

Myles
Gaming Since (Year): 1988
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: River City Ransom

Post by Myles » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Great episode guys, yadda yadda yadda.

PAM DID QA ON THE PLAYBOY MANSION EXPANSION???

There has to be some crazy stories about that. Did you see anything they had to eventually cut?

When they approached the team with the game, what did they say? "So, uhh, here's just another normal game, perfectly normal game. Needs some QA. Itscalledplayboythemansion. I'm on vacation for the next month. Bye!"

What other games did you QA on?

POLYKILL - Seriously, great show. I busted a gut when Trav said he forgot his chapstick.

Do you guys script some of these stories? I feel like you're both so well spoken that I sometimes can't believe it is off the cuff.

I was never super into Sim games. I always liked the idea, but never had the patience for it.

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:28 pm

Thank you for the very thoughtful comments and feedback, very awesome!
Pam wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 pm
I love me some sims, so I really enjoyed this episode!
Yay!
Pam wrote:
I totally agree about the new King's Quest. Though I did finish it, the amount of backtracking drove me up the wall. Especially in the first 2 episodes. Episode 1 was especially tiring because it lasted way too long. I think it took me 7-8 hours to finish it, which is an absurd amount of time for a single episode. I'm kind of surprised I didn't quit after that. The best chapter was 3 (I think) the contained one where you meet Val and Neice. The writing worked better when you didn't have to constantly trek across a dozen different screens to get anything done. I just played Monkey Island 2 and while it has the same great humour of the first game it was another one that was kind of ruined for me by all the backtracking. Having Guybrush constantly having to travel between 3 different islands was bad.
Would you say it's not worth it to finish then? Part of me wants to keep going because the parts I liked... I really liked.
Pam wrote:
Some of my favourite sims are Afterlife (where you build heaven and hell) and Theme Hospital which is hilarious and dark as well as a good sim. I'm particularly looking forward to the new Jurassic Park builder coming out next year.
I'm not familiar with any of these but all three sound very interesting. Especially Afterlife, does it hold up?
Pam wrote:
The story about The Sims reminds me of another one I played a lot: Playboy The Mansion. It plays just like The Sims, but you also have to hire writers and take pictures of topless ladies. The game company I worked for published it and I did a lot of QA on the expansion which I believe was called Private Party. One of the things we had to do before we shipped was record all the questionable footage to submit to the ESRB. So I'd try to get all the party guests have sex in as many places as possible. Some would doubt me - "you can't make two women have sex in the bouncy castle, Pam. I've tried." Challenge accepted. The game got an M rating.
Yeah, Pam. Not to sound typical but I am genuinely curious about your experiences with this game and your work in general with that game company. I had no idea you had a background working in the games industry, that's awesome! Do you still work for a game company or in the industry?

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:28 pm

I had a similar experience to Trav's FF2 realization with the original Dragon Warrior. I could never get past some mundane section in the game and I was to embarrassed to admit it, so I kept talking to friends about the game and be like oh yeah remember that part you had to criss over a bridge, so easy man, can't believe my neighbor hasn't figured it out. Eventually I found out but the friend who gave it away knew I was stuck, so I felt double shame.

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Myles wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm
POLYKILL - Seriously, great show. I busted a gut when Trav said he forgot his chapstick.

Do you guys script some of these stories? I feel like you're both so well spoken that I sometimes can't believe it is off the cuff.

I was never super into Sim games. I always liked the idea, but never had the patience for it.
Thank you friend!

Nothing is scripted - I mean.. you've seen our Google sheet, it's just a list of games and poorly dick-joked titles to games. But we do write down a few adlib prompts for the #justbeatit's... I think that's pretty obvious, tho. I'm flattered you think we have decent off-the-cuff chops!

I've stayed away from Sim games recently because they are a time suck and I wanna beat some games... but if I dabble for even a minute, I'm riding out multiple hours.

As always Myles, thanks for listening and providing feedback!

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Myles wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm
There has to be some crazy stories about that. Did you see anything they had to eventually cut?

When they approached the team with the game, what did they say? "So, uhh, here's just another normal game, perfectly normal game. Needs some QA. Itscalledplayboythemansion. I'm on vacation for the next month. Bye!"

What other games did you QA on?
I don't think anything ended up getting cut. Though, I was wrong, it ended up with an AO rating not M. It was actually the game I liked the most out of the ones I tested. We mostly did budget shooters - Close Quarters Combat, WW2 Combat: Iwo Jima (I HATED testing this), Warpath (a multiplayer Halo knock-off that used the assets from Pariah, a game that shipped before I started working there). While I was there they started this online competitive gambling thing and I also tested LA Street Racing and some kind of fighting game for that. Oh, also Road to Fiddler's Green, the tie-in for Land of the Dead.
polykill_travis wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:28 pm
Yeah, Pam. Not to sound typical but I am genuinely curious about your experiences with this game and your work in general with that game company. I had no idea you had a background working in the games industry, that's awesome! Do you still work for a game company or in the industry?
I liked Playing the Playboy game, it's one of the few that I tested that I also played at home. Never been really big on the Sims games, but the addition of managing the magazine and boobs made it cool for a while.

I don't work in the game industry anymore. I was only there for about a year and a half in my last year of University and for a bit after I graduated. It was okay. Playing video games as a job sounds fun, but it gets really repetitive. Something was going down at the company and while working on WW2 Combat Iwo Jima we were only getting a new build every week, maybe every 2 weeks. It got very boring. Other than the actual work, some things were cool - free pizza and beer on Fridays, lots of social events. The downsides were the guys in the QA area were all pretty immature and spent most of their time playing gay chicken and the Sr. Producer was obsessed with sexually harassing my friend who also worked there, and no one ever did anything about it.

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Pam wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 pm
I liked Playing the Playboy game, it's one of the few that I tested that I also played at home. Never been really big on the Sims games, but the addition of managing the magazine and boobs made it cool for a while.

I don't work in the game industry anymore. I was only there for about a year and a half in my last year of University and for a bit after I graduated. It was okay. Playing video games as a job sounds fun, but it gets really repetitive. Something was going down at the company and while working on WW2 Combat Iwo Jima we were only getting a new build every week, maybe every 2 weeks. It got very boring. Other than the actual work, some things were cool - free pizza and beer on Fridays, lots of social events. The downsides were the guys in the QA area were all pretty immature and spent most of their time playing gay chicken and the Sr. Producer was obsessed with sexually harassing my friend who also worked there, and no one ever did anything about it.
Welp, that didn't have a happy ending. Sorry you and your co-workers had to endure those things, gross stuff. blech.

I could definitely see the fun getting sucked out of games by doing that type of work. Free pizza and beer is enough to make me endure most anything but after awhile I'm sure the luster of working in the games industry wears itself out (especially when the culture is the way you described).

Thanks for sharing!