Polykill's Off-Killter Episodes: #12 Pet Peeves

These forums are THE place to be when you're not battling backlogs or watching Netflix!
polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Polykill's Off-Killter Episodes: #12 Pet Peeves

Post by polykill_travis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Fair warning, you may have some habits that Jake and Trav dislike, and they may go on and on about it in this episode. That's because this entire hour is devoted to pet peeves! From bad driving habits to the way people consume their food, let's have a gear-grinding good time!

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/polykill/OK12 ... -id=301925

dege13
First Console: SNES

Re: Polykill's Off-Killter Episodes: #12 Pet Peeves

Post by dege13 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:26 pm

You guys covered a lot of the things I could think of while listening. Loved it.
The only thing I could think of when you were asking to pet peeves were things my wife does that annoy me, and I figured that those are best left NOT in the public eye.

The one thing I thought of while listing that you did not cover is pretty specific to my work, but I have a picture to help make it clear. At work we have dishwashers and sinks in the kitchenette. The dishwashers are started by the cleaning staff twice a day. Logic dictates that you should put your dirty mugs (mugs which are provided by the company) in the dishwasher if you are done with it. However, every single damn day I see this bullshit despite the clear actual physical signs that you should not do it:
IMG_20171005_160936-edit.jpg
Derek
[host of Dollar Dorks] http://feeds.feedburner.com/DollarDorks
[half of the Two Dorks] http://youtube.com/twodorks

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:28 pm

My two cents on the ma'am thing... it makes me feel super old. I've never told anyone not to call me ma'am, and it's usually done by people in retail who I'll likely never see again, but after it happens I will bemoan the fact that I just got ma'am'ed. Of course I think location plays a big role. If I was in the South or in the military it'd be alright, but no one needs to ma'am people in Canada.

I have a lot of pet peeves. At work I can't stand when people don't use proper naming conventions or versioning for their documents.

On Twitter I have so many pet peeves. I hate tweets that tag a dozen people into them (if I'm one of the people). I don't like that everyone tagged feels the need to like and maybe even retweet those. This basically makes Follow Friday my nightmare and I am very grateful for the mute conversation option. I guess the real pet peeve here is getting notifications for things I do not think are worthy of a notification. I also get physically anxious when my phone makes text message notification noises, which is why it's always on silent and I miss 90% of text messages and phone calls.

Grammatically, I have a pet peeve about the overuse of the word 'of'. Like, "I jumped off of the rock", instead of "I jumped off the rock." Also when people write defiantly instead of definitely. Two very different words.

dege13

Post by dege13 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:01 pm

I thought of more last night. I forget several of them now, but one that bothers me a lot around this time of year is when people put up Christmas lights on a tree in your yard and they only go 6 feet up on a 20 foot tree.. Not even pine trees. Any tree. If you cannot get a ladder, don't bother putting lights on the tree. My neighbor's house:
IMG_20171128_172124_1~2.jpg
I am sorry if you don't think this reply was worth a notification, Pam. But I did make sure that I didn't say defiantly instead of definitely in this or my last post. I can see myself doing that because I suck at spelling at often take the first suggestion my phone or browser give me.

I also really dislike when someone tags a bunch of people on Twitter for attention when it does not even involve them. If they care about your post, they will reply when they see it in their feed.
Derek

VGCollectaholic
Gaming Since (Year): 1983
First Console: Texas Instruments TI-99/4A
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Chrono Trigger

Post by VGCollectaholic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:33 pm

This episode was awesome guys - you both echoed some of my own pet peeves (especially the "literally" one).

I have a ton of grammatical and linguistic pet peeves. My I was raised in a family of educators; my grandmother, specifically, who was an English teacher was a B.J. Blazkowicz Uber-level difficulty OG Grammar Nazi.

Some of my biggest grammatical/linguistic peeves:

* Your/You're; Its/It's; Their/There/They're - this is my biggest one in written communication. Most guys swipe left or right on Tinder based on pictures, my first filter is scanning the About Me section for improper use of these. Shit like this (and everything else below... and the giant video game room) is probably why I'm still single.

* Improper use of "a" vs. "an" as the indefinite article - My biggest peeve here is with the word "History" (and it's various iterations). History should be preceded by "a" NOT "an". History is my biggest pet peeve in this catagory because it makes absolutely zero sense to use "an" with it - it doesn't start with a vowel, nor does it sound like it starts with a vowel as the lead "h" is a harsh "h" consonant sound. It is not "an historic event" it is "a historic event." Other grammar fails here are usually caused bu incorrect strict adherence to the if the first letter is a consonant, use "a"; if the first letter is a vowel, use "an" rule. The use of A/An is actually determined by the sound of the following word, not the spelling. Examples: "a historic event," "an heir to the throne," "an X-Files episode" (the latter two start with a consonant, but aurally they start with a vowel sound... ergo use of "an" is appropriate).

* "I could care less." - No dumbass, that means that you DO care about something. You couldn't care less.

* Decimate - I used to use this word incorrectly all the time until my Latin prof gave me a tongue-lashing one day. Decimate actually means "to reduce by 10%". Most people use it when they actually mean "annihilate" (i.e. "to completely destroy"). This one was done incorrectly so often that the Oxford dictionary people just gave up and added a secondary meaning... and then to make matters worse, they later made the secondary meaning the primary meaning. That pisses me off.

* Referring to a Company or Brand as plural - In one of the articles that we discussed on Episode 9 of Masters of Unlocking, the author did this throughout - even in the article title ("Activision patent matchmaking system pushing microtransactions"). A company or brand is a singular thing.

* Sale vs. Sell - Sell is a verb. Sale is a noun. You don not sale something, you sell it.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but I should probably do some actual work for a bit today.
Scott (aka VGCollectaholic)
Co-Host of The Masters of Unlocking podcast
Game Collection | Want List
CIB Sets: 32X+CD, HyperScan, Jaguar+CD, SegaCD, Vectrex, VirtualBoy, Vita, WiiU
WANTED: DinoPark Tycoon (3DO)

dege13

Post by dege13 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:43 pm

I love these, Scott.

I had no idea about Decimate. It makes complete sense since 'deca'/'deka' refers to a factor of 10. Now that I know what you know I am angry about it as well. Don't worry, I enjoy being angry if the argument is logical.

If Skittles is the brand/candy, is a single piece from the bag still called 'Skittles' or is it a 'Skittle'?
Derek

VGCollectaholic

Post by VGCollectaholic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:51 pm

The origin of the word "decimation" actually goes back to the Roman army. If a Roman legion had an incident of mutiny or desertion (or even in a few cases a simple loss of a battle) all the members of that legion of troops were rounded up 10% of them were selected at random for execution - that punishment was called "decimation". It was intended to serve as a motivation and deterrence tool. Good ol' Romans.

As for your Skittles question - the single candy piece would be a "Skittle" because you are not referring to the brand or the company, rather you are using the noun to refer to the single piece of candy.

VGCollectaholic

Post by VGCollectaholic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:38 pm

Oh... just thought of a non-language-based pet peeve.

Auto-playing internet ads with sound. If you have an ad on a webpage that has sound and it auto-plays when I load the page, I will make it a point to never buy anything from your company ever again.

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:58 pm

Pet Peevery baby, I love it! Derek, wise man brother for not putting your wife's habits out there.

When Bette and I were engaged we had to go through this marriage counseling thing at our church and we had a mentor couple help us out. We had to take a silly quiz and one of the questions was "what are things your future spouse does that annoy you" ... my wife wrote "nothing." WHICH IS A FUCKING LIE. But she wanted to write nothing because she interpreted that as meaning, nothing Diego does is worth getting annoyed over, even if it very much in fact annoys me. I wrote some silly thing that at the time annoyed me... and for YEARS she wouldn't let me forget that "oh so there's things about me that annoy you huh?" (In a loving, joking, kind of way).

polykill_travis
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Post by polykill_travis » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:22 pm

This thread has made me painfully self-conscious now.

My hick tongue often poorly represents my actual intelligence.

I'm treading on thin ice with you people and it's scary.