Polykill Ep 56: Modern RPGs

These forums are THE place to be when you're not battling backlogs or watching Netflix!
polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Re: Polykill Ep 56: Modern RPGs

Post by polykill_travis » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:11 pm

AgentPoyo wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:25 pm
When it came to Cross Listing the IGN and Game Informer Top 10 RPGs...how exactly did you guys do this? And did you only include the Modern Era of RPGs that you dubbed as being from 2002-2017?
Mr. Poyo,
I really hope you listen to future episodes and contribute like you have here for this one, this is great. Thanks for taking the time to be so thoughtful in your responses!

We had a classic RPG's episode (46) that I did the exact same thing on. I somewhat arbitrarily picked years... 2001 and prior, 2002 and after to define classic and modern. There's obviously debate about that but for the sake of argument, that's what I did. So for modern RPGs, I went through and noted the ranks for each one after 2002. For example, let's say on IGN #2, #5, #8, #10, etc. are all modern. I did the same for both GameInformer and IGN. After a bit, games ranked on both lists would have two numbers.

Game 1, IGN #4, GameInformer #26.
Game 2, IGN #18, GameInformer #11
..etc.

For games not on both lists, I would put their number at 100 for the list they were absent from. Technically it should have been 101 but whatever.
Game 3, IGN #47, GameInfromer #100

Then those numbers get added together...
Game 1: 4+26 = 30
Game 2: 18+12 =29
Game 3: 47+10=147

Then sorted from lowest to highest:
1)Game 2: 29
2)Game 1: 30
3)Game 3: 147

Not the most scientific way to do it, but when dealing with 2 sources for a podcast of our caliber, it was the amount of work I wanted to put into it.
Hope that made sense for you!

AgentPoyo
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Post by AgentPoyo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:38 pm

polykill_travis wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:11 pm
AgentPoyo wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:25 pm
When it came to Cross Listing the IGN and Game Informer Top 10 RPGs...how exactly did you guys do this?
Not the most scientific way to do it, but when dealing with 2 sources for a podcast of our caliber, it was the amount of work I wanted to put into it.
Hope that made sense for you!
Makes sense. Interesting approach.

AgentPoyo
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Post by AgentPoyo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:30 pm

Pam wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:11 pm
AgentPoyo wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:52 pm
What are some Modern CRPGs that you wanted to see on the list?
Dragon Age Origins (I like 2 better, but that's controversial)
I've only played Dragon Age: Inquisition. Gameplay-wise are the other games the same? Different? As much detail as possible would be appreciated because I swear I should have been able to love Inquisition but just kept getting bored at the same part each time I restarted it.