Polykill Ep 63: That Geddon Goodness

These forums are THE place to be when you're not battling backlogs or watching Netflix!
polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Polykill Ep 63: That Geddon Goodness

Post by polykill_travis » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Well this is a first. Jake has to sit out this latest episode of the cast, and in his stead the usurper Brian (@hokiebriz). Trav and Briz talk about their backlogs and stuff; and they discuss one of their most sacred traditions, Video Geddon. Listen if you want to know what the heck that is. 

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/polykill/ep63.mp3

polykill_travis

Re: Polykill Ep 63: That Geddon Goodness

Post by polykill_travis » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:56 pm

phpBB [video]

The #justbeatit's are in.

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:32 pm

Hope Jake is OK. Let me know if I need to call Tio Carlos and have my people talk to his parole officer. In the meantime, Brian did a great job stepping up and sharing the story of videogeddon and I loved hearing about Flip Cup and the Geddon Council. You wacky guys.

Far Cry 5 sounds like a fascinating game with the religious cult/redneck vibe going on. It's so apt for 2018. I hope you enjoy it Trav and I look forward to hearing about it a lot on future PolyKills.

That Daffy Duck game sounds pretty interesting. The jumping mechanism kind of reminds me of games like Donkey Kong Country Returns, where Diddy gives you some extra jump juice that Donkey doesn't have on his own. Sounds fun and I love GB games.

I used a walk through when I played through Chrono Trigger. I would have been PISSED had I tried to beat the final ship without realizing I had to go back and do all the side quests so my other characters could get to their max weapons, etc. That was NOT fun after a while, because I kept saying to myself, OK the final boss ship is RIGHT THERE. Then again, Hyrule Castle is right there in Breath of the Wild but you run around and do other stuff as it just sits ominously surrounded by evil. I still liked Chrono Trigger, but I don't think I'd play it again and I'm contemplating trading in my DS copy of the game.

I liked Brian's analysis of Rime. If the Switch wasn't the worse version I'd really be inclined to pick it up just for the experience and novelty, but I've heard it's downright unplayable for the Switch.

Hell yeah I loved the feedback on RetroNonsense Stuck in the 80s. I loved how he came up with 9T-AT. It was just epic. Looking forward to the episodes that are either about video games or Transformers/He-Man related, or View Finders, kids books with audio read-along, etc. So much promise.

No Facebook brothers. I had it for a brief minute when it first came out circa 2005/6 and not since.

hahahahahahahahahahah Size of the Poon Tater.. hahahahahahah

Also, I appreciate you guys are the high volume gamers that you are. I live vicariously through your awesomeness.

alatinolawyer
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:09 am

I did a thing. Rayman Legends on Switch.
Attachments
20180327_055741.jpg

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:02 pm

In the VR survey I was the one who said I had a PSVR but it was a gimmick and we returned it within the 30 day window. Maybe 2 days after that episode came out Will made a liar out of me and bought another PSVR. I would like to pick up The Invisible Hours, a murder mystery on it at some point but as of yet I haven't really played it again.

I will check out Paratopic, it sounds cool.

Listening to what you have to say about Chrono Trigger, I'm glad I never got to the end. It sounds like too much game.

If you like shmups, I recommend Sky Force on game pass. It's simple and arcade-y but fun and they don't try to jam a dumb story into it.

Video geddon sounds awesome. Though since I'm an old WoW nerd I first thought - Baron Geddon? From Molten Core?

Anyway, you are the bomb.

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Pam wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Listening to what you have to say about Chrono Trigger, I'm glad I never got to the end. It sounds like too much game.

If you like shmups, I recommend Sky Force on game pass. It's simple and arcade-y but fun and they don't try to jam a dumb story into it.

Video geddon sounds awesome. Though since I'm an old WoW nerd I first thought - Baron Geddon? From Molten Core?

Anyway, you are the bomb.
Yes. Even though it's only 20-25 hours, it just drags. Music, art, and story are notable though. I see why people like it.

Funny you mention Sky Force. One night after Briz, Jake, and I had finished Evil Within with some bro-time to spare, we fired that up and played it for over an hour, passing the controller around. It was a good time! I think it's on Game Pass too.

Video Geddon IS awesome and lots of people there are WoW nerds too and probably thought the same. No shame in that.

Thanks as always for listening and taking the time to give some feedback!

Musty Hobbit
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Musty Hobbit » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:44 pm

Well, you asked for it - my 300th post.

Miss ya Jake, and hope all is well. Briz, thank you for enlightening us all as to what a perfect game room (or game house, for that matter) might look like. Really enjoyed this episode and can I say that I'm super jealous of what you guys get the participate in. It sounds like something that my brain would manifest in only my deepest and most lucid dreams.

I've been waiting on acquiring and playing Until Dawn because of all the stories I'm hearing about how great it is to play with others in the room (including the stories you brought up at Geddon), and I'm concerned that playing it alone won't have the same impact. Am I wrong for thinking that way?

I finished CT for the first time at the end of 2016 and haven't felt compelled to go back yet, despite really enjoying my time with it. I know there's incentive to play it a bunch of different ways, but to me, the importance of replayability is diminishing, and while there are games that I'd like to go back to at some point, I don't know that I need to with CT.

I grabbed GamePass too, and really have only played Sea of Thieves and a little of Rime, but I'd like to get into RotTR and SLT at some point here. Far Cry 5 just doesn't feel like something I'm interested in - I skipped 4 and am just not keen on this one - might be the setting, current climate, or something else.
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:30 pm

Musty Hobbit wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:44 pm
Well, you asked for it - my 300th post.

I finished CT for the first time at the end of 2016 and haven't felt compelled to go back yet, despite really enjoying my time with it. I know there's incentive to play it a bunch of different ways, but to me, the importance of replayability is diminishing, and while there are games that I'd like to go back to at some point, I don't know that I need to with CT.

I grabbed GamePass too, and really have only played Sea of Thieves and a little of Rime, but I'd like to get into RotTR and SLT at some point here. Far Cry 5 just doesn't feel like something I'm interested in - I skipped 4 and am just not keen on this one - might be the setting, current climate, or something else.
Thanks for making us your 300th post, it is TRULY an honor.

I can't replay games. Any games. I'm not wired that way. Once it's done, it's done. Multiple endings be damned. I got the one I got. Such is life.

I'm interested in FC5 because of the setting/climate/theme. Time to take out some frustrations in a grossly hyperbolic version of it all. Plus I get a dog as a buddy and dog buddies are cool.

Myles
Gaming Since (Year): 1988
Favourite Genre: Avant-Garde
Favourite Game: River City Ransom

Post by Myles » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Heeey,

Loved the episode, missed Jake, but Briz is a top tier substitute.

I am having a blast with Far Cry 5 so far. It is the first FC I have played and only jumped in because I am obsessed with cults.

I use the dog buddy and my cougar buddy all the time. Those are the best buddies ever. I kinda want a cougar pet IRL, but both Kathryn and I are allergic to cats.

Geddon sounds brilliant. I want to go to there.