Ep. 70: Frankie Goes to Polywood

These forums are THE place to be when you're not battling backlogs or watching Netflix!
alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Ep. 70: Frankie Goes to Polywood

Post by alatinolawyer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:23 am

This is the 70th time that Jake and Trav sat down behind the mics to records an episode of Polykill, but the first with Frankie aka VyprStryke. They discuss their pickups, beats, and some of the biggest games they have yet to conquer. Or something like that....I didn't really pay attention.

https://polykill.libsyn.com/episode-70- ... o-polywood

alatinolawyer

Re: Ep. 70: Frankie Goes to Polywood

Post by alatinolawyer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:42 am

"The Ole Switcherooski" - TradeMark @TheMcAxl

Frankie was a great guest! Loved the episode lads. Frankie's taste in games has a lot of overlap with mine (also interested in The Banner Saga 3 and Octopath). The kid even threw a "gurl" Jake's way.

Trav, I highly doubt Shining Resonance Refrain will remind you anything of Shining Force 1 and 2, other than the first name on the title is Shining. No other point of commonality. These new Sega games are definitely more for anime loving fans of big boobied elves and brooding young men free of chest hair that just happens to have some cool hack and slash combat style action RPG content. And dragons. Nothing like the awesome strategy RPG content of Shining Force 1 and 2.

Man I love these stories of finishing truly craptastic games. It reminds me of being a kid, because when you got stuck with a shit game for your birthday or Christmas, you knew you weren't getting anything else new for a while and you might as well learn how to beat ole crap game. Fist of the North Star sounds God awful. Your commitment to the show really is impressive.

I'm definitely going to play Battle Chasers Nightwar and Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap.

Keep it up.

polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Post by polykill_travis » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:38 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:42 am

Trav, I highly doubt Shining Resonance Refrain will remind you anything of Shining Force 1 and 2, other than the first name on the title is Shining. No other point of commonality. These new Sega games are definitely more for anime loving fans of big boobied elves and brooding young men free of chest hair that just happens to have some cool hack and slash combat style action RPG content. And dragons. Nothing like the awesome strategy RPG content of Shining Force 1 and 2.
Yeeaaaah, I know. But I'm still intrigued by all Shiny things.

And as for shitty games, sure, Fist is shitty but still kinda fun in that I'm too lazy to stop kind of way. Try it out on that thing I got ya!

alatinolawyer

Post by alatinolawyer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:33 pm

I finished the episode last night. Sadly, I have to take back every nice thing I said about Frankie (jk ... not really ... maybe). Majora's Mask is a fabulous game.

My hall of shame entry to this list of games I need to finally beat would have to be:
5. Metroid Prime
4. Super Mario Bros 3
3. Final Fantasy III/VI
2. Batman
1. Ninja Gaiden