Polykill Ep 73: A Pile of Beats and Sandwich Meats

These forums are THE place to be when you're not battling backlogs or watching Netflix!
polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Polykill Ep 73: A Pile of Beats and Sandwich Meats

Post by polykill_travis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Jake and Trav are back together for this episode, and boy do they have a lot to catch up on. There's a ton of new games added to the backlog, even more beats, and the pair relates some fun stories about their pickups and field some questions from Twitter. 

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/polykill/ep73_Draft_1.mp3

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: Polykill Ep 73: A Pile of Beats and Sandwich Meats

Post by alatinolawyer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Oh man I was so excited to hear all of this Switcherooski beatery going on!

I also think modern takes on retro games are toning down the difficulty to make it "just right" rather than overly challenging. Blaster Master Zero was a cheap little indie game, and compare that to the 1980s when Master Blaster was a full price third party game that needed to stretch out entertainment as a serious title. I thought the "floatiness" of the controls was still pretty true to the original MB.

Man, I could talk about Mario + Rabbids all day long and then some. Rabbid Peach was easily my favorite character. Luigi on his own always felt soooo weak, in that his hit points were low so you had to keep him at a distance and rely upon his long distance shots. Other than that I thought the characters were really balanced and the vampire sucking weapon effects were some of my favorite. Can't wait to here Trav talk about that World 3 boss. Woah Nelly!

Hearing about those Galloping Ghosts beats was pure bliss. Reminded me of the time as a kid I brought all my quarters to the 7-11 with me and just wailed until I finished off The Simpsons and The Punisher.

I'm surprised to hear Jake had a negative response about Garou Mark of the Wolves. I've heard nothing but good things about that game. Then again you guys didn't like Samurai Shodown so maybe I'll just chalk this up to you guys having a specific preference in fighters. Garou/Samurai, and a lot of the SNK fighters play quite differently than SF-influenced games, but I still enjoy them immensely. One of my favorite Neo Geo fighters was actually this totally bizarro game called Waku Waku 7, which believe it or not is on the Switch (or you could just play it on the ole Pie). I have nostalgia goggles for Neo Geo era fighters.

retro_mojoe
Gaming Since (Year): 1987
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Post by retro_mojoe » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Excellent show as always boys.

I'm also going through a huge Switch binge and am loving the system. Most of the indy / retro style games seem to be finding a home on it which suits me just fine.

I'm currently working on Runner 3 (the latest in the bit trip runner series) and Oceanhorn (a nice Zelda clone) and am having trouble putting the Switch pro controller down.

The two games mentioned above complement each other perfectly as Runner 3 is great in short bursts when I need a break from exploring dungeons in Oceanhorn.

I also received Octopath Traveler from the wife for my birthday but will leave that one in the backlog until I can focus on it exclusively. I'm also going to look to grab Dead Cells as it sounds amazing.

Cheers Fellas!

polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Post by polykill_travis » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:10 pm

retro_mojoe wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:37 pm
Excellent show as always boys.

I'm also going through a huge Switch binge and am loving the system. Most of the indy / retro style games seem to be finding a home on it which suits me just fine.

I'm currently working on Runner 3 (the latest in the bit trip runner series) and Oceanhorn (a nice Zelda clone) and am having trouble putting the Switch pro controller down.

The two games mentioned above complement each other perfectly as Runner 3 is great in short bursts when I need a break from exploring dungeons in Oceanhorn.

I also received Octopath Traveler from the wife for my birthday but will leave that one in the backlog until I can focus on it exclusively. I'm also going to look to grab Dead Cells as it sounds amazing.

Cheers Fellas!
Hey mojoe - great hearing from ya again. Switch Binges are hot - so hot our newest episode is all Switchy!

We somehow didn't know that Runner 3 existed so that was fun news - great games.

I just picked up Dead Cells today actually! Looking forward to that one!

FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Post by FranticSociety » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:58 pm

I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast