Polykill Episode 75: Yeargasm 3: Through-Thinking Men

These forums are THE place to be when you're not battling backlogs or watching Netflix!
bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Polykill Episode 75: Yeargasm 3: Through-Thinking Men

Post by bassguy654 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Well, Jake and Trav have been at this for three full years now, so that's a thing that gets discussed a little in this episode. They also answer some listener questions, as well as discuss the games that they have bought, sold, traded, hawked, fenced, bartered, stolen, and hustled.

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/polykill/ep75.mp3
Last edited by bassguy654 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Musty Hobbit
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Re: Episode 75: Yeargasm 3: Through-Thinking Men

Post by Musty Hobbit » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Congrats on the anniversary, you guys!

The struggle on unsealing games is real - before I really focused on collecting, I was more likely to buy games at full price (day one), and would be playing them immediately. Now, neither of those things is true (at least not to the same frequency as 10-15 years ago). Now, there are plenty of games that I've gotten "a killer deal" on that I fear I may never actually open.

I'd bet I'm not alone in saying that we'd love to hear Off-Killters and Collect Calls again, if time allows, but I totally see where you're at with the baby on the way.
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm

Happy 3 years!

As much as I liked the Off-kilters, it seems like a pain to have to rely on other people submitting stories to get episodes off the ground. Even asking for questions can be like pulling teeth, so I understand putting those off.

I'm happy with the main shows, they're always funny and a good time.

FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Post by FranticSociety » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:38 pm

bassguy654 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Well, Jake and Trav have been at this for three full years now, so that's a thing that gets discussed a little in this episode. They also answer some listener questions, as well as discuss the games that they have bought, sold, traded, hawked, fenced, bartered, stolen, and hustled.

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/polykill/ep75.mp3
I always enjoy the show, 'gratz on sticking with it for 3 years!

You could always use off kilter as a topic for a show. maybe just every other show like once a month, but if not just do what you do. I'm always entertained by the show regardless.

Here's to the future!! cheers 🍻
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

alatinolawyer
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: Polykill Episode 75: Yeargasm 3: Through-Thinking Men

Post by alatinolawyer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Trav: When your wife finds out...

Jake: She's not going to.... she might.

Ah the joys of obsessions.

Shining Resonance Refrain is Shining in name only. But it's probably still something I'll get because I like fighting dragons.

I will tell you one of my favorite DVD pick ups is a steel case collection of Voltron, just those steel book collections are so purdy.

Count Lucanor is totally on the eShop, I remember when it released last year but it never rose up on the want list to trigger a purchase.

"Wyoming women accused of starting a fire" ... "What game are we talking about?" ... "uh that Count Lucanor" ... oh my God it's only 10 minutes into the show and I'm already having to hold back laughter at the office. Love you guys!

alatinolawyer
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:20 pm

NCAA FOOTBALL BABY! I need to pick up a Gamecube version and start up a South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs career mode.

:( Trav hatin' on Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Evee. :_(

For the remainder of this year, I'm excited to try out Valkyria Chronicles 4, NBA2K19, Starlink, The World Ends With You Final Remix, Dragonball FighterZ, and Civilization 6. This of course may all change later today after the Nintendo Direct.

I am also excited to hear everyone's experience with Marvel's Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Fallout 76.

I also love SNESDrunk for telling me what to play on the ole RetroPie.

MightyQDawg
Gaming Since (Year): 1979
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Metroid Prime

Post by MightyQDawg » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:19 pm

Congratulations on 3 years! I can't believe you fellas only knew each other for 6 months before starting a podcast. I would have assumed an old friendship given the chemistry you have in the podcast.

Thanks for answering my question. I was hoping it'd lead to some interesting discussion and you did not disappoint.

Lastly, not too thrilled that when you think "MightyQDawg", you think anal...

--
Eric

polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Post by polykill_travis » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Musty Hobbit wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:56 pm
Congrats on the anniversary, you guys!

The struggle on unsealing games is real - before I really focused on collecting, I was more likely to buy games at full price (day one), and would be playing them immediately. Now, neither of those things is true (at least not to the same frequency as 10-15 years ago). Now, there are plenty of games that I've gotten "a killer deal" on that I fear I may never actually open.

I'd bet I'm not alone in saying that we'd love to hear Off-Killters and Collect Calls again, if time allows, but I totally see where you're at with the baby on the way.
Thanks Musty. Fun finding out that Polykill and Musty Hobbit started within a few days of each other, crazy stuff.

I once bought Skyward Sword from Best Buy for $24.99 like a month after it came out because they had it marked wrong. It was a steal. I didn't have the motivation to play it for a long time and like a year later I decided to force myself to open it and play it since I had bought it for such a steal. I played it for an hour and haven't touched it since. Should have left that thing in the plastic!

The Collect Calls and Off-Killters are listened to a lot less than Polykill-propers. That doesn't matter to us a whole lot but it does some. We thought maybe Off-Killters hurt us some since our audience really wanted to hear gaming talk (although we're amateur at that too). So, I don't know. We might bring Off-Killters back but I think it would be a little more structured. We always tried to make it a free flowing bar room conversation piece and I don't think we're talented enough to pull that off quite the way we envisioned.
Pam wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:06 pm
Happy 3 years!

As much as I liked the Off-kilters, it seems like a pain to have to rely on other people submitting stories to get episodes off the ground. Even asking for questions can be like pulling teeth, so I understand putting those off.

I'm happy with the main shows, they're always funny and a good time.
Thank you Pam. I'm glad you enjoy the main entries, that means a lot coming from you - someone responsible for quality videos and casts. Thanks for having us in your rotation!
FranticSociety wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:38 pm
I always enjoy the show, 'gratz on sticking with it for 3 years!

You could always use off kilter as a topic for a show. maybe just every other show like once a month, but if not just do what you do. I'm always entertained by the show regardless.

Here's to the future!! cheers 🍻
Not a bad idea to make Off-Killter an occasional show topic - but I'd worry it would be a put-off to first time listeners or misrepresent the show. Maybe we bring Off-Killters back as a YT thing since our channel could use some work.
alatinolawyer wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:20 pm
NCAA FOOTBALL BABY! I need to pick up a Gamecube version and start up a South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs career mode.

:( Trav hatin' on Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Evee. :_(

For the remainder of this year, I'm excited to try out Valkyria Chronicles 4, NBA2K19, Starlink, The World Ends With You Final Remix, Dragonball FighterZ, and Civilization 6. This of course may all change later today after the Nintendo Direct.

I am also excited to hear everyone's experience with Marvel's Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Fallout 76.

I also love SNESDrunk for telling me what to play on the ole RetroPie.
If they ever bring back NCAA Football, I'd probably go AWOL from the podcast for 3 months while I binged hard on it. No shame in my game.

SNESDrunk is the absolute best.
MightyQDawg wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:19 pm
Congratulations on 3 years! I can't believe you fellas only knew each other for 6 months before starting a podcast. I would have assumed an old friendship given the chemistry you have in the podcast.

Thanks for answering my question. I was hoping it'd lead to some interesting discussion and you did not disappoint.

Lastly, not too thrilled that when you think "MightyQDawg", you think anal...
Thanks Q! Yeah - it's weird to think Jake and I haven't really known each other all that long but we really do feel like old pals. We clicked off the bat and have been running with this two weeks ever since.

Your question was perfect because it perfectly falls in line between Jake and I. He's fresh and new and I am the nostalgia junkie. A world without 1991-1992 SNES is a world I don't want to live in :).

And c'mon... you're anal and you know it! It's why we love you! You're probably grinding your teeth because of all the grammatical errors I've made in this response. :)

bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Post by bassguy654 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:05 pm

SNESDrunk is the absolute best.
I'll have to go back and listen to your Collect Call episode with him. I see him in my Twitter feed, but I don't watch his videos much. I have limited knowledge of the SNES library, I started getting into music and had a nice PC at the time, so I stopped playing consoles around junior high and sold off my Genesis and SNES around that time. I keep meaning to do a deep dive into the SNES library, it sounds like his channel is a good place to start.