SNES Classic

A place to discuss hardware, consoles, mods and more!
vintagevideogamegeek
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Colecovision
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Bionic Commando (NES)

Re: SNES Classic

Post by vintagevideogamegeek » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:07 pm

Lotus Stark wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:33 am
They just handed out tickets. I’m #1 of 44
I like this guy

Lotus Stark
First Console: C64 & Action Max
Favourite Game: Karnov (NES)

Post by Lotus Stark » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:21 pm

vintagevideogamegeek wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:07 pm
Lotus Stark wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:33 am
They just handed out tickets. I’m #1 of 44
I like this guy
Thanks

The funny thing is most people got in line around 7:00 am. It’s ok you never really know how many they will have.

STCPod
Gaming Since (Year): 1983
First Console: Vic 20
Favourite Genre: Action Adventure
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Post by STCPod » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Congrats Lotus, and thanks for the pics! When the manager said people don't wait overnight he should of given you a ticket right then! Well anyways, you had a nice adventure and got to see the weirdos at night. I'm very happy you didn't get murdered by a hobo and got your prize. Get some sleep!
Never, EVER click on this link!
http://www.stcpod.com

Lotus Stark

Post by Lotus Stark » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:32 pm

STCPod wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:18 pm
Congrats Lotus, and thanks for the pics! When the manager said people don't wait overnight he should of given you a ticket right then! Well anyways, you had a nice adventure and got to see the weirdos at night. I'm very happy you didn't get murdered by a hobo and got your prize. Get some sleep!
Yeah it’s ok. I didn’t even know there was a ticket until this morning as he didn’t say anything about the ticket the day before.

The good thing is I can rest easy to know Baby SNES is Home safe now.

I just need a little sleep and then will start playing it. Then most likely I will get bored.

It’s all about the thrill of the hunt for me.

No hobos and the guys I hung out with that joined me around midnight we’re all cool and talking about games and stuff.

Thanks again Bill.

MightyQDawg
Gaming Since (Year): 1979
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Metroid Prime

Post by MightyQDawg » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 pm

Last night around midnight (Pacific), I decided to see if Amazon or Target had any available for on-line purchase. They didn't, so I went to bed. I unexpectedly woke up today around 6:00 a.m. (I usually have no trouble sleeping until my alarm at 6:45). Since I was awake I decided to check Twitter to see how things were going. There was a bit of Twitter activity and the fine folks in the CC convinced me to just go out and try my luck.

At around 6:40 I arrived at a nearby Target that was scheduled to open at 7:00. There was a long line, but I was told this particular store had 100 units and the line was only about 60 people long. So, I got in the line. As soon as I did it seemed they started handing out tickets and, sure enough, I got ticket 69 out of 103. (Whew!) 10 minutes later the store opened. They had numerous registers open and did a great job getting people through. All told, I probably spent only 30 minutes at Target total and walked away happy.

However, the clerk had said earlier that when the line ended they were opening up additional units for walk-ins. So, after I dropped of my first purchase I went back into the store to get in line again. The guy in front of me got the last one. No problem. I knew I wanted to get one for my brother-in-law, though, so I headed to the Best Buy next door.

Now, Best Buy corporate had said they were going to hand out tickets at 7:00, but this Best Buy was playing by their own rules. At 7:15, there was still a line, and it was only 50 people. I asked around and was told that Best Buy would be handing out tickets around 8:00 and that there were around 100 units here, too. So, I hopped in line and waited. This time, because the wait was much longer, I actually got to talking to a number of people nearby me in line, which was nice. Around 8:15, I got a ticket, but would have to come back to buy the unit when the store opened at 10:00. At 11:00 they were going to stop honoring tickets (even though the paperwork they gave us said we had 3 hours. Oh, Best Buy...why are you the way you are?)

I arrived back at BB around 10:10 and there was a huge line. They weren't quite as efficient at checking us all out as Target was, so I ended up waiting in line for nearly 40 minutes. I did, however, end up with a second unit for my brother-in-law. Apparently, this Best Buy actually received an extra shipment it wasn't supposed to, which is why there were so many here. I just hope this didn't screw another store out of their pre-order allocations.

This was my first time doing anything like this (getting hardware on launch day), and, I didn't find it to be much of an ordeal (probably because I was successful). The weather was also nice, which helped. I cannot say the experience was so great that I'll do it again, but I'm glad to have done it once just to see what it was like.

Congrats to all of you who got one, too. For those of you who didn't, this experience seems to suggest Nintendo is serious about providing more stock this time around. Hopefully, they'll have more shipments coming out soon. (A clerk I spoke to at Target said they expect more shipments next week).

--
Eric

AgentPoyo
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Post by AgentPoyo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:14 am

Woke up at around 8:30am, decided to try the local Walmarts and found that 1) they started selling them at midnight and 2) somehow people were able to get as many as 5 each...

No sweat, I decided to go to the nearest Best Buy. I woke up knowing I wasn't going to make this pursuit a huge thing; just that I was going to try. By the time I got to Best Buy they just handed out all the tickets.

Then I went to the nearby Toys R Us which was only having walk-ins for when the store opened at their normal time. The line outside wasn't bad actually. There were maybe like 27 of us and they had only like 20 but luckily they walked outside "early-ish enough" to pass out tickets. I didn't get one I was one of the last 7 in line.

Then I decided to go to what was really my #1 chance to get an SNES Classic. There are several GameStops in my area but there's one that is closest to me that is also not easily visible AND it doesn't have much customer traffic normally. I knew they were having like 16 for walk-ins since that seemed to be the number for each GameStop online and went there. Now, I technically should've went there first since I felt it was my best bet but they open the latest out of my options so I wanted to try other stores. I get there and I'm the 14th person in line. I'm ecstatic. I'm questioning whether it's a dream. Then it's just a matter of waiting 25min or so for them to open.

Played some Hearthstone to pass the time while joking and talking with the other people and then got my SNES Classic.

Got so lucky.

Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

Post by Round2Gaming » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:25 am

I'm loving hearing everyone's enjoyment with the SNES Classic. Since this is the Hardware Talk thread, I thought some of you may be interested in seeing a closer look at the inside of the console. Here's some images that have been circulating online:

AgentPoyo
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Post by AgentPoyo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:19 am

Hacked my SNES Classic tonight. Soooo happy. Added about 51 more games to it. Only a few games I added didn't work but I knew that it wasn't at 100% compatibility and for the most part the games that didn't work aren't a huge loss. Although I wish I could put Street Fighter Alpha 2 on it but I knew ahead of time that people said it wasn't working so I did not attempt to add it.

Most importantly is that I added my favorite game of all time: Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2 and that's all that matters.

Lotus Stark

Post by Lotus Stark » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:52 am

Round2Gaming wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:25 am
I'm loving hearing everyone's enjoyment with the SNES Classic. Since this is the Hardware Talk thread, I thought some of you may be interested in seeing a closer look at the inside of the console. Here's some images that have been circulating online:

Neat Pics. Boards are so small these days compared to what we grew up with.
Thanks for sharing.

Lotus Stark

Post by Lotus Stark » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:54 am

AgentPoyo wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:19 am
Hacked my SNES Classic tonight. Soooo happy. Added about 51 more games to it. Only a few games I added didn't work but I knew that it wasn't at 100% compatibility and for the most part the games that didn't work aren't a huge loss. Although I wish I could put Street Fighter Alpha 2 on it but I knew ahead of time that people said it wasn't working so I did not attempt to add it.

Most importantly is that I added my favorite game of all time: Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2 and that's all that matters.
Very cool.