CCPortable Ep. 7 - Kirby's Dream Land

Home of your monthly handy!
Curtiss
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Game: Mega Man X

CCPortable Ep. 7 - Kirby's Dream Land

Post by Curtiss » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:10 am

Season's greetings Clubbers! In the grand tradition of overstuffing yourself this time of year with dreams of shedding off that holiday weight during your intense New Year's resolution workout regimen that inevitably crumbles like a greasy pyramid of Quarter Pounder boxes after your first week, followed by a few minutes of self reflection wherein you convince yourself that being happy is being comfortable with whatever size you are, it's only fitting that we play KIRBY'S DREAM LAND! Where real dreams do come true! And you can eat as much as you want with zero consequence! As voted by you, my loyal Portablers (is that a word?), join me in my quest to fell the wicked King Dedede and save the land! This was the one that started it all! Plus, I'm no fitness expert, but I'm pretty sure some handheld gaming certainly burns a few thumb calories, right?

- Curtiss
Attachments
Kirby's Dream Land Box Art.jpg
Kirby's Dream Land Box Art.jpg (63.42 KiB) Viewed 128 times

Curtiss
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Game: Mega Man X

Re: CCPortable Ep. 7 - Kirby's Dream Land

Post by Curtiss » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:01 pm

And if you’d like to get in on round 1 of voting for February’s game, here’s the link:

https://twitter.com/curtissfrisle/statu ... 7668025344

Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

Post by Round2Gaming » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Played through Kirby's Dream Land last year for the first time, and loved it. One of those games that's easy to pick-up-and-finish in a short afternoon. Was a little disappointed that this premiere installment doesn't include the "copy" abilities, but still a blast to inhale and spit-out enemies.

Will happily be playing through it again for CCPortable! Curious, what's everyone's favourite Boss in this game? I've always had an affinity for seeing Lolo reappear in this franchise!

Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

Post by Round2Gaming » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:24 am

Well, just as quick as I've started, I've finished! There's something so charming about this game's simplicity - I loved every second of it....all 1200 of them! This game is wildly short. I was able to finish it in about 20 minutes - maybe a bit more.

Hope to see more people participate in this month's game. It's awesome!

STCPod
Gaming Since (Year): 1983
First Console: Vic 20
Favourite Genre: Action Adventure
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Post by STCPod » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:45 am

Just finished it too! Who doesn't love a short game? Not this guy! Perfect handheld game.
Never, EVER click on this link!
http://www.stcpod.com

Musty Hobbit
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Musty Hobbit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Round2Gaming wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:24 am
Well, just as quick as I've started, I've finished! There's something so charming about this game's simplicity - I loved every second of it....all 1200 of them! This game is wildly short. I was able to finish it in about 20 minutes - maybe a bit more.
I played through this last year during my wife's eye appointment - it's super short, but a lot of fun. Glad it got picked!

The sequel has a save feature and is more in the 2+ hour range. Also a lot of fun.

bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Post by bassguy654 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:14 pm

I got the game in last night and beat it in about 35-40 minutes, just under the wire before the recording of the podcast. It's very cute and a good introduction to Kirby series. The only tricky parts were the levels with spikes on the ceiling and floor you had to float through. The game is pretty generous with health items too.

The boss battles were fun and varied, the patterns were a bit simplistic until the final boss. It took me a little while to realize he had to create stars by diving into the ground. Overall a lot of fun!

Chasethemadgamer
Gaming Since (Year): 1995
First Console: Nintendo
Favourite Genre: Action
Favourite Game: zombies are my neighbors

Post by Chasethemadgamer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:46 am

Ahh Kirby's Dream Land I remember getting this game years ago and putting it in my GBA to be surprised how great the game looked and how the levels were done. The only down side to the game is it was not very long but hell its fun to play. I might pop it in again soon just to refresh my memory.

SelfDestructow
Gaming Since (Year): 1986
First Console: Colecovision
Favourite Genre: Tactical turn based
Favourite Game: River City Ransom

Post by SelfDestructow » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:59 pm

I've played a few Kirby games before but this is the first one I've finished and my first CCPortable playthrough. Now I'm looking forward to playing through the rest of the Kirby games I have. Just fired up Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland on the GBA and I'm having a great time with it.