CC Portable Ep. 12 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Home of your monthly handy!
Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

CC Portable Ep. 12 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Post by Round2Gaming » Wed May 02, 2018 1:38 pm

For the first time ever, thanks to your votes, the Cartridge Club is diving into their first ever Ace Attorney game! And what better way to kick this Milestone off (<-- see what I did there?), than with the game that started it all - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Step into the shoes of this rookie defense-lawyer, and solve a slew of intertwining cases, rising to the ranks of Ace Attorney! Which handheld are you playing this on? Is this your first experience with the series? How many stares have you earned from screaming "Objection!" into the microphone? Share your trials and tribulations (and all your favourite experiences) right here!

Round2Gaming
Gaming Since (Year): 1989
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Final Fantasy VII

Re: CC Portable Ep. 12 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Post by Round2Gaming » Wed May 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Just started this game last night, and gotta say, I'm glad to have casted my vote in this direction (mainly because I'd already completed Professor Layton). I actually had pretty low expectations coming in. Not because I didn't trust the glowing praises of some of our friends and fellow clubbers, but because I really didn't have a great experience with Apollo Justice when I finished it back in 2014.

Last night, I finished Episode 1 - The First Turnabout, and it was super fun! Easy, but wildly enjoyable to call out the witness on his lies. I went in thinking this would be more of a kid-friendly game, but between the blunt-force (and bloody) head trauma, the busty boss, and the occasional innuendos ("Harry" Butz <-- teehee...) I'm starting to feel like this won't be as much of a cakewalk in the later episodes.

Looking forward to starting Chapter 2 this afternoon! Who else is playing this month?

xmattbandyx
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Action Platformer
Favourite Game: Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Post by xmattbandyx » Wed May 02, 2018 10:24 pm

If something stinks, it's gotta be the Butz

xmattbandyx

Post by xmattbandyx » Wed May 02, 2018 10:35 pm

Besides the great characters, funny writing, and interesting game mechanics, one of my favorite things about this game is the music. Its so good. I love all of the recurring themes, it adds so much to the game.

seigiac
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Puzzle
Favourite Game: Cave Story

Post by seigiac » Fri May 04, 2018 8:23 pm

Shelby (co-host of the BB podcast) is a huge fan of the AA series. We played this very game for our 125th episode a year ago:

https://soundcloud.com/bonus-barrel/bon ... e-attorney

Since then, I've became obsessed with the series too. It is not perfect, but it is great.

bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Post by bassguy654 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm loving this game so far. I just finished case 3 and it was rather complex and a big jump from the previous 2 cases. The game does a good job of making you think that its hopeless and that you'll never solve the case, but if you keep chipping away you'll get the evidence you need.

The first witness in case 3, Ms. Wendy Oldbag, was a riot. She rambled on the witness stand and is both helpful and obstinate, lol. The fanboy was funny as well, you had to bribe him with a trading card to get his account of the murder. I think it's funny how a witness is allowed to revise their testimony 3 or 4 times allowing you to press or present evidence each time, thus digging their own grave.

I loved all the expressions on the faces of the characters. Will Powers art was great, he had the look of a dashing hero, but would slump and looked pitiful when Ace or Maya told him bad news. It was very satisfying to out Edgeworth in his place and see him slump over and brace himself on his desk.

The final few witness testimonies were great. The director was a very weird guy and kind of creepy, but I did enjoy his dialogue. They had him speak in online gamer acronyms which was pretty funny. The producer was cold, cunning, and a very calculating woman so it was satisfying to put her in her place.

I'm looking forward to the next case!

xmattbandyx

Post by xmattbandyx » Wed May 16, 2018 3:21 pm

bassguy654 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:07 pm
I'm loving this game so far. I just finished case 3 and it was rather complex and a big jump from the previous 2 cases. The game does a good job of making you think that its hopeless and that you'll never solve the case, but if you keep chipping away you'll get the evidence you need.

The first witness in case 3, Ms. Wendy Oldbag, was a riot. She rambled on the witness stand and is both helpful and obstinate, lol. The fanboy was funny as well, you had to bribe him with a trading card to get his account of the murder. I think it's funny how a witness is allowed to revise their testimony 3 or 4 times allowing you to press or present evidence each time, thus digging their own grave.

I loved all the expressions on the faces of the characters. Will Powers art was great, he had the look of a dashing hero, but would slump and looked pitiful when Ace or Maya told him bad news. It was very satisfying to out Edgeworth in his place and see him slump over and brace himself on his desk.

The final few witness testimonies were great. The director was a very weird guy and kind of creepy, but I did enjoy his dialogue. They had him speak in online gamer acronyms which was pretty funny. The producer was cold, cunning, and a very calculating woman so it was satisfying to put her in her place.

I'm looking forward to the next case!
You should play "Justice For All" after you finish! There are quite a few call backs to the first game.

SelfDestructow
Gaming Since (Year): 1986
First Console: Colecovision
Favourite Genre: Tactical turn based
Favourite Game: River City Ransom

Post by SelfDestructow » Sat May 19, 2018 1:30 am

Take That! Just finished. Really had fun playing this one. Looking forward to hearing the podcast. As mentioned by others above, I also really liked the music. For some reason the tune from the courtroom lobby always reminded me of the music from Shadowrun for the SNES.

alatinolawyer
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Listening to the podcast right now. Shelby is killing it! Anyone who likes to stick it to unscrupulous prosecutors is a winner in my book! I loved the episode and all the lively discussion of all things Phoenix Wright.

Kathryn
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Post by Kathryn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:12 pm

Yay! I'm so glad it was Shelby on this episode! It only made sense. :)

While I was really gunning for Professor Layton (I probably like Layton about as much as Shelby likes Wright), I was happy that either way, the club would get to experience a great game. I played the second installment, Justice for All, which was very similar but introduced a new mechanic/element that added a bit more meat to the investigations.

I think that the Phoenix Wright games are excellent portable games, partly because I don't think there is any added value playing on a big screen, and also because you can save at any point. That is clutch for a portable game, IMO. Shelby was right about being able to revisit conversations. You can always talk to a person again and re-select the conversation prompts. I found that handy because I sometimes I would drift off, or accidentally advance the conversation before fully reading what was said.

Danganronpa sounds right up my alley - is it related in any way to the Nonary Games? It sounds thematically similar. I'll definitely check it out, though!

This was such a great episode! My two-word review for this episode is FIVE STARS!