CCPortable #16 - Gargoyle's Quest

Home of your monthly handy!
Curtiss
First Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Game: Mega Man X

CCPortable #16 - Gargoyle's Quest

Post by Curtiss » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:43 am

CHRIS R. MONTH HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUN!

Hey folks, I'm really excited to finally play Gargoyle's Quest. It was one of those games I picked up years ago but "never had the time." Well, I found the time. Full disclosure... I've already played and beat it. Shortly after completing Elite Beat Agents, I was jonesing for some more portable action. Why not dive into the next game of the month? I'm so glad I did because there is a lot of meat on the bone for this one. Itself being a spin-off from the Ghosts 'N Goblins series, GQ launched its own trilogy to great success. Especially if we're talking dollars. Let us not forget, it was from these humble beginnings that spawned Demon's Crest, the much heralded capper to the GQ series. Sadly, Firebrand has went the way of the dodo in the years since. But, the legacy lives on in us I suppose. Any newcomers to the series? Who's played the sequels? Ghosts 'N Goblins (series) or Gargoyle's Quest (series)? Sound of in the comments below! And awaaaAAAaay we go!

- Curtiss

PS - King K. Rool is cool and all, but come on Masahiro Sakurai! We wanna Smash with Firebrand!
#CCPortableEffect
Gargoyle's Quest box art.jpg
Last edited by Curtiss on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Re: CC Portable Ep. 16 - Gargoyle's Quest

Post by polykill_travis » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Been waiting for this month for a while now! Will be starting this up soon.

Word on the street is that it's a challenging time and goes roughly 8-9 hours. What was your experience?

Curtiss

Post by Curtiss » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:57 pm

polykill_travis wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:11 pm
Been waiting for this month for a while now! Will be starting this up soon.

Word on the street is that it's a challenging time and goes roughly 8-9 hours. What was your experience?
I’d say that’s about accurate. I’d recommend keeping a pen and paper nearby for passwords. Don’t worry about the vials. In the end, they don’t amount to much help and they just tack more time onto your playthrough.

bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Post by bassguy654 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:35 am

I’d say that’s about accurate. I’d recommend keeping a pen and paper nearby for passwords. Don’t worry about the vials. In the end, they don’t amount to much help and they just tack more time onto your playthrough.
I agree. Buy extra lives (Talisman of the Cyclone) from the ghoul merchant in town if you have accumulated vials from random encounters or in dungeons en route to town. It is nice to have extra lives because you go back to the last save point, which is in town after you run out of lives. I agree with Curtiss, buy extra lives if you have vials, but I wouldn't bother to grind for vials after continuing.

SelfDestructow
Gaming Since (Year): 1986
First Console: Colecovision
Favourite Genre: Tactical turn based
Favourite Game: River City Ransom

Post by SelfDestructow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:50 am

I might have to play through this one again before the end of the month.

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:51 am

Played a bit of this last night and got to Darkoan. Didn't beat him but liking what I've played so far.

Musty Hobbit
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Re: CCPortable #16 - Gargoyle's Quest

Post by Musty Hobbit » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:38 pm

www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

polykill_travis

Post by polykill_travis » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Just started to listen!

I need to find this J-Rock video and learn how to play Super Ghouls and Ghosts. I've not made it very far in that one.

Good call. I don't think Firebrand was really clamored for. I think it's weird he.. and Karnov get their own games.

I miss Firebrand games! I love them all!! I didn't know about the chronology - not sure it's important but that is weird. An updated Capcom Gargoyle's Quest III on the SWITCH would make me lose my mind.

The opening sequence of Demon's Crest is metal AF. I love it. You could play that opening with some Slayer in the background and probably open a portal to hell.

I played this on the Super Game Boy (didn't realize it would be faster as Chris later says) and it felt really good and natural. I"m not sure how some of those tight spaces and dark levels would have been on the Game Boy.

I used the vials a little bit at the end but generally I agree, the slog of the over-world and random encounters just added heft. Without it though, the game would've taken maybe an hour. I agree with Curtis - i'm okay with it i just wish it added more benefit to the character or the game aside from slowing down the pace and rewarding me with more vials when I can't even carry anymore.

I remember the tricky jumps... my least favorite thing in games is requiring pixel perfect jumps. It's not like taking damage on an enemy due to placement on a ledge... a poorly timed jump will kill you INSTANTLY. So cheap.

The pen-ultimate boss was the hardest in my opinion, like you guys said. Where the things chase you around and you're skipping around the different platforms. I died a lot on that bastard.

EF THAT SHAFT. But Chris R. told me to just take that hit and drop and deal with it. Not sure why I didn't think of that 15 fails sooner.

I agree with ya'll. Great length, great difficulty. Definitely one of the finer games in my Game Boy collection.. a well made Capcom platformer. Runs better than the Castlevania games on the same system! This game was a 4.5 for me. A little sloggy and oddly paced but in general great time, great looking, and tight controls.

#BRINGBACKFIREBRAND

Great episode fellas!

bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Post by bassguy654 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:24 pm

polykill_travis wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:48 pm
Just started to listen!

I need to find this J-Rock video and learn how to play Super Ghouls and Ghosts. I've not made it very far in that one.

Good call. I don't think Firebrand was really clamored for. I think it's weird he.. and Karnov get their own games.

I miss Firebrand games! I love them all!! I didn't know about the chronology - not sure it's important but that is weird. An updated Capcom Gargoyle's Quest III on the SWITCH would make me lose my mind.

The opening sequence of Demon's Crest is metal AF. I love it. You could play that opening with some Slayer in the background and probably open a portal to hell.

I played this on the Super Game Boy (didn't realize it would be faster as Chris later says) and it felt really good and natural. I"m not sure how some of those tight spaces and dark levels would have been on the Game Boy.

I used the vials a little bit at the end but generally I agree, the slog of the over-world and random encounters just added heft. Without it though, the game would've taken maybe an hour. I agree with Curtis - i'm okay with it i just wish it added more benefit to the character or the game aside from slowing down the pace and rewarding me with more vials when I can't even carry anymore.

I remember the tricky jumps... my least favorite thing in games is requiring pixel perfect jumps. It's not like taking damage on an enemy due to placement on a ledge... a poorly timed jump will kill you INSTANTLY. So cheap.

The pen-ultimate boss was the hardest in my opinion, like you guys said. Where the things chase you around and you're skipping around the different platforms. I died a lot on that bastard.

EF THAT SHAFT. But Chris R. told me to just take that hit and drop and deal with it. Not sure why I didn't think of that 15 fails sooner.

I agree with ya'll. Great length, great difficulty. Definitely one of the finer games in my Game Boy collection.. a well made Capcom platformer. Runs better than the Castlevania games on the same system! This game was a 4.5 for me. A little sloggy and oddly paced but in general great time, great looking, and tight controls.

#BRINGBACKFIREBRAND

Great episode fellas!
Thanks, Trav! Just so people don't think I'm making up the bit about the processing speed differences, here's an article about the differences between the GB and the Super GB hardware. Because of the speedup, the SBG not only runs faster, but there is a pitch change in the audio! Bob from RetroRGB explains it in this SGB article.

http://retrorgb.com/supergameboy.html

Curtiss

Post by Curtiss » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:00 am

polykill_travis wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:48 pm
Just started to listen!

#BRINGBACKFIREBRAND

Great episode fellas!
Thanks Trav!

That was one hell of a breakdown of what we talked about! I need to get you on an episode soon!