Masters of Unlocking Ep. 12 - Video Gaming's Rich Legacy at CES

Don't open that door! ....Unless you want to talk about the Masters of Unlocking podcast!
VGCollectaholic
Gaming Since (Year): 1983
First Console: Texas Instruments TI-99/4A
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Chrono Trigger

Masters of Unlocking Ep. 12 - Video Gaming's Rich Legacy at CES

Post by VGCollectaholic » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Show Link: http://mastersofunlocking.com/video-gam ... isode-012/

This week the global electronics industry descends on Las Vegas for the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES). These days, the show is dominated by televisions, the Internet of Things, and 5G smart toasters, but it wasn’t always so… in this episode of Masters of Unlocking, we take a look back at the rich history of video gaming at CES.

SHOW NOTES

Gaming Archaeology:
  • Caleb and VGCollectaholic recap their recent game pickups
  • VGCollectaholic adds a new complete game set to his collection
Epic Set List:
  • Discussion of what we’ve been playing recently & our spoiler-free thoughts
2018 Gaming Goals
  • We discuss our gaming-related goals for 2018
What’s News:
  • Flog Gets Sacked
  • How Wolfenstein II’s Hero Draws on his Jewish Heritage for Strength
  • Platinum Games get Delisted from Online Marketplaces
  • Microsoft Officially Kills Kinect Adapter
  • World Health Organization (WHO) to Recognize “Gaming Disorder” as a Mental Health Condition in 2018
  • Mad Catz – Back from the Dead
Main Event:
  • We look back on the history of the Consumer Electronics Show and the many gaming introductions it brought us
Scott (aka VGCollectaholic)
Co-Host of The Masters of Unlocking podcast
Game Collection | Want List
CIB Sets: 32X+CD, HyperScan, Jaguar+CD, SegaCD, Vectrex, VirtualBoy, Vita, WiiU
WANTED: DinoPark Tycoon (3DO)

Musty Hobbit
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Re: Masters of Unlocking Ep. 12 - Video Gaming's Rich Legacy at CES

Post by Musty Hobbit » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm hoping the original price surge on those adaptors comes back to earth sometime soon. Currently, if I wanted to stream on Twitch and have a facecam, Kinect is the only option for this. Currently, Mixer allows for a 3rd party webcam (or the Kinect) to serve the same purpose, but no Twitch compatibility for webcams yet. You can also use it for Skype if you wanted to do video calls from your couch and some of the other voice commands (without having to wear a headset).
So, while there may be "no games" worth playing for Kinect, there's a little more to it. Fingers crossed that these start showing up in the cable bins at Goodwills in a year or two.

VGCollectaholic

Post by VGCollectaholic » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:47 pm

I have to think that Twitch will pressure Microsoft into figuring out a workaround for that - my guess is patching the XBONE to allow access for any USB camera shouldn't be too hard, given that the Xbox OS architecture is essentially Windows. Twitch is entirely too big a phenomenon now in the gaming industry for them to just be SOL for cam-inclusive streaming.

AgentPoyo
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Post by AgentPoyo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:23 pm

VGCollectaholic wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:33 pm
Epic Set List:
  • Discussion of what we’ve been playing recently & our spoiler-free thoughts
It was interesting hearing Caleb's experience with Skyrim and how he thought he would not be able to get into it because of the setting, but realizing that perhaps it is the Bethesda formula for RPGs that is the actual draw for him. I remember when the game came out and it was the biggest thing being hyped. I had no opinion on it because I was not big on the Western RPG experience outside of Mass Effect. Part of me thought that it was perhaps overrated and I was so happy to be wrong. I finally tried the game out when the PS4 Special Edition came out and I fell in love in ways I didn't think were possible. If they improved the combat, and if you were "recognized" in the Open World more when accomplishing certain things you did in-game, then this game could easily become THE perfect game IMO (aka the only game that deserves a Perfect Scoring/Grading/Rating). I do not feel that any game deserves a Perfect Score but this is one of the few to come the closest. It is my 5th favorite game of all time (if you count Warcraft III RoC & TFT as 1 game) and before I played the game I thought that was not going to be possible.
VGCollectaholic wrote:
2018 Gaming Goals
  • We discuss our gaming-related goals for 2018
This is the first year that I want to set gaming goals. I was surprised by how many games I completed in 2017 because prior to last year I had not played so many games since high school. I've also found this renewed strength in wanting to cross more games in my backlog and think I can take off a huge portion of said backlog this year.
VGCollectaholic wrote:
  • How Wolfenstein II’s Hero Draws on his Jewish Heritage for Strength
BJ's last name sounded Polish to me, but I never made the connection that he was Jewish or half Jewish or anything like that. Even when they really went into his backstory in Wolfenstein II it still wasn't a thing to me; his relationship with his parents is what stood out for me. Looking back, him being Jewish doesn't add or take anything to or from the story or game. It's just a detail in his backstory/background. I never felt that his Jewish ties strengthened or pushed or influenced his behaviors at all. From my understand he just thinks Nazis are evil and from his experience in WWII in the New Order the war got personal; simple as that.
VGCollectaholic wrote:
  • World Health Organization (WHO) to Recognize “Gaming Disorder” as a Mental Health Condition in 2018
What I am most curious about this situation is how it will affect game development in the games where studios actually do hire people with a Psychology background to make parts of their game as "addictive" as possible. Will this become someone banned from game development? Will it just become frowned upon? And will this impact the overall Loot Box Fiasco that has been going on for the past year? That's what I think about more to be honest.
VGCollectaholic wrote:
  • Mad Catz – Back from the Dead
I heard how before they went under that Mad Catz started to become well known for their fight sticks, but I will forever remember the company from their PS1/PS2 days and it's not a good memory. I will never be driven to get a Mad Catz product. Period.

alatinolawyer
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Hey guys loved the episode. Amazing to learn things like the Laserdisc introduction predated the VHS introduction. Bananas. Also loved the references to Trip Hawkins, villain of gaming history. I remember reading a story a while back about how he was being litigated for unpaid taxes in the millions. Ooops.

I have a recollection of the Summer CES being in Chicago until at least the early 90s. I recall seeing stories in the local newspapers growing up in Chicago and even calling to see if it was open to the public (sadly it wasn't).

Here's an article I found talking about the move of the Summer CES away from Chicago, which coincided with the start of E3.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994 ... try-comdex

I remember fondly those EGM and Diehard GameFan (always my fave) editions after a CES and knowing it would be as thick as an encyclopedia. Ah good times.

Cheers!

VGCollectaholic

Post by VGCollectaholic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:29 pm

Thanks for listening and commenting guys! Man those massively thick EGM issues in the mid-90s were awesome. I'm with you Diego - GameFan was my absolute fave as well. Back in 1999 I met Dave Halverson - their founder and first editor. He signed my GameFan Issue 1, which hangs on my wall to this day.

FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Post by FranticSociety » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:48 am

Just wanted to say I've been catching up on my podcast backlog, and this is one of my favorites, thanks for the awesome show guys
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

alatinolawyer
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:12 pm

VGCollectaholic wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:29 pm
Thanks for listening and commenting guys! Man those massively thick EGM issues in the mid-90s were awesome. I'm with you Diego - GameFan was my absolute fave as well. Back in 1999 I met Dave Halverson - their founder and first editor. He signed my GameFan Issue 1, which hangs on my wall to this day.
You should have asked him why did they really think Cybermorph was a 100% game?!?!?! I want to believe the LSD rumor but it's hard to accept.