Frantic Thoughts Ep. 44 - Infinitely Replayable Games

A place to share your own frantic thoughts with Josh and the Club!
FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Frantic Thoughts Ep. 44 - Infinitely Replayable Games

Post by FranticSociety » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:13 am

THIS WEEK I take a look and chat about some games that I can just play over, and over again. I recommend some music, talk about Love Simon, and Spyro is back!

I hope you enjoy this, the edits are a little wonky, but I think it came out good.

Also, let's hope that I can actually keep my promise and make monday youtube videos a thing!

Time Stamps:
00:25 - Topic of the Week
18:43 - Recommendation Minute
19:50 - What's Happenin
25:45 - News of Interest
36:00 - Plugs and GOODBYES

Video version:
phpBB [video]

CHECK OUT THE AUDIO VERSION HERE

Frantic Thoughts on Podbean: http://frantic.podbean.com

Frantic Thoughts on Itunes: http://bit.ly/FranticThoughts
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 44 - Infinitely Replayable Games

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi Josh. I haven't played much of the original Yoshi's Island or Super Mario World, but now that I have the SNES Classic I'll get around to both of those. I've been playing SMW a little bit at a time and I'm kind of stuck in the forest of illusion trying to figure out how to create a path to an open level, so I kind of put it down for a while. I played Yoshi's New Island on the 3DS and I LOVED that game.

I agree that a Mario Maker NEEDS to be on the Switch. That's such a perfect platform for it.

No matter how many times I play other stuff I always go back to playing Arms for my Switch. For me it's a great fighting game, deep in strategy and very cerebral. I like it a lot. I also can't seem to stop playing Skyrim and that's a blast too!

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:17 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:50 pm
Hi Josh. I haven't played much of the original Yoshi's Island or Super Mario World, but now that I have the SNES Classic I'll get around to both of those. I've been playing SMW a little bit at a time and I'm kind of stuck in the forest of illusion trying to figure out how to create a path to an open level, so I kind of put it down for a while. I played Yoshi's New Island on the 3DS and I LOVED that game.

I agree that a Mario Maker NEEDS to be on the Switch. That's such a perfect platform for it.

No matter how many times I play other stuff I always go back to playing Arms for my Switch. For me it's a great fighting game, deep in strategy and very cerebral. I like it a lot. I also can't seem to stop playing Skyrim and that's a blast too!
The forest of Illusion blew my 5 year old mind lol

If you like New Island, you'll love Yoshi's island, it's also best emulated on SNES Classic.

Dream scenario for A possible Mario maker switch is just add slopes and Super mario 2 assets. I'd be happy with just that but if they made it to where you could make an overworld too that'd be rad.

I've never played arms, but I can understand getting into a meta strategy in games. Thats the reason i fall into games like fortnite or call of duty multiplayer, there's a lot to them and learning the strategy is half the fun. I've been waiting for Dragon ball Fighterz to drop in price for that very same reason.
also, can't go wrong with Skyrim, one of the best
Twitter
Youtube

AgentPoyo
First Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Favourite Genre: Role-Playing Games
Favourite Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Post by AgentPoyo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Out of the games you listed as infinitely replayable for you, Frantic, the ones that most aligned with how I view the topic were the 2 Super Mario World games. While I understood the games that were more multiplayer focused, I personally exclude those kind of games when I think of this topic. I just feel like when I approach this topic I think what are games that I can enjoy on my own that are also infinitely replayable. These are some I came up with:

Injustice 2 (PS4)
Shin Kido Senki Gundam Wing: Endless Duel (SFC)
Wild Guns Reloaded (PS4)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
Looney Tunes B-Ball (SNES)
Pocket Fighter (PS1)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (PS4)
Bust-A-Move 4 (DC)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (SFC)

What I found to be interesting is that while my favorite game of all time is included, it is at the bottom of this list. I think it is only because I have already beaten that game at least 20 times (no exaggeration) and have seen every possible character class variation and team-up option available. I have gone beyond doing everything in that game, lol. But still each time I play it it is almost as refreshing as the first time I fell in love with it.

What is even more interesting to me is that I have several fighting games (Injustice 2, Shin Kido Senki Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, Pocket Fighter, Garou: Mark of the Wolves) but not my #1 fighting game on here. With the fighting games I listed, I feel like the regular difficulty level of the Player VS CPU modes are naturally challenging that they are as stimulating as fighting a real person. Also, with Injustice 2 there is the amazing single player Multiverse Mode Events and the unlocking of amazing cosmetics and unlockables. Aside from the great CPU challenge, in Shin Kido Senki Gundam Wing: Endless Duel I just love how differently its control scheme is compared to other fighters aside from the special move inputs that are simple Street Fighter inputs. With Pocket Fighter...well, I don't feel I need to say much because there is not 1 single fighting game that I can think of that is anything like it; its mechanics and charm and everything is completely its own. Lastly with Garou: Mark of the Wolves...while I first fell in love with it on the Dreamcast as Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves...I never 100% loved the Dreamcast D-Pad personally. The CPU in that game provides an amazing challenge as well after you get past the first 2 opponents in arcade mode and the PS4 version includes a Move List you can view which surprisingly was not in the Dreamcast version in-game as far as I can tell; only in the manual I think.

The remaining games on my list are all arcade-like games or games that are basically amazing ports of arcades; and a lot are SNES games or have an equivalent on the SNES. Part of why the SNES is my favorite game console of all time is because of all of the arcade-like and arcade-ported games. Wild Guns and The Ninja Warriors especially stand out because of how challenging they are so that each playthrough feels fresh. And I list specifically Bust-A-Move 4 for the Dreamcast here, but honestly any version of that puzzle game could fit on this list; I adore that puzzle series.

AgentPoyo

Post by AgentPoyo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Another thing that came to mind was that classic desert island type of question, and honestly...I would have an entirely different answer. When asked what game I would play on a desert island if it was the only game I could play my answer does not appear on my list above:

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (PC)

I adore the single-player campaign for that game, and the built-in World Editor is something I could dive into and get lost in. And if this scenario allowed me to have internet somehow, I used to be super competitive with WC3's online teamplay. I could also play the Custom Games that others or myself would make online with others. Although, if I had internet as an option I might just choose DOTA2 instead. Dunno. I would have to flip a coin in this scenario where internet is an option.

AgentPoyo

Post by AgentPoyo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
I grew up playing Super Mario World, and honestly that is the last time that I felt the need to play a Mario game. I did not even know about Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island until I was in college. I was dating a teacher (not mine, lol, she taught at a high school) and it was her favorite game of all time and so I have her to thank for making me aware of Yoshi's Island. To my surprise I was obsessed with it for a while and now that game remains as the latest Mario game that I have cared to really play.
alatinolawyer wrote:
I agree that it should come to the Switch, but I'm not sure if I would get it. I know that the 3DS version lacked the online structure that made the game "special" and worth it, but honestly knowing myself I would have been fine with it and I have yet to care to purchase the 3DS one. If the game comes to the Switch I might not be swayed unless they perhaps add to it or something. Dunno. I think it is an amazing game and idea, though.
alatinolawyer wrote:
I like how they are still updating stuff with ARMs...I just wish we would get even more fighters. I haven't played it in a few months.

And I cannot believe I did not consider The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition. I've only made 1 character in that game so I could in theory still experiment much more with that game as well.

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:39 pm

AgentPoyo wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:56 pm
Out of the games you listed as infinitely replayable for you, Frantic, the ones that most aligned with how I view the topic were the 2 Super Mario World games. While I understood the games that were more multiplayer focused, I personally exclude those kind of games when I think of this topic. I just feel like when I approach this topic I think what are games that I can enjoy on my own that are also infinitely replayable. These are some I came up with:

Injustice 2 (PS4)
Shin Kido Senki Gundam Wing: Endless Duel (SFC)
Wild Guns Reloaded (PS4)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
Looney Tunes B-Ball (SNES)
Pocket Fighter (PS1)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (PS4)
Bust-A-Move 4 (DC)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (SFC)
I also love Turtles and Time, Bust-A-Move, and I would really like to try looney tunes b-ball after seeing some on the charity livestream.
I see where you're coming from with the no online features, more of a solo experience, that makes sense.
AgentPoyo wrote:
What is even more interesting to me is that I have several fighting games (Injustice 2, Shin Kido Senki Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, Pocket Fighter, Garou: Mark of the Wolves) but not my #1 fighting game on here. With the fighting games I listed, I feel like the regular difficulty level of the Player VS CPU modes are naturally challenging that they are as stimulating as fighting a real person. Also, with Injustice 2 there is the amazing single player Multiverse Mode Events and the unlocking of amazing cosmetics and unlockables. Aside from the great CPU challenge, in Shin Kido Senki Gundam Wing: Endless Duel I just love how differently its control scheme is compared to other fighters aside from the special move inputs that are simple Street Fighter inputs. With Pocket Fighter...well, I don't feel I need to say much because there is not 1 single fighting game that I can think of that is anything like it; its mechanics and charm and everything is completely its own. Lastly with Garou: Mark of the Wolves...while I first fell in love with it on the Dreamcast as Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves...I never 100% loved the Dreamcast D-Pad personally. The CPU in that game provides an amazing challenge as well after you get past the first 2 opponents in arcade mode and the PS4 version includes a Move List you can view which surprisingly was not in the Dreamcast version in-game as far as I can tell; only in the manual I think.
I really wish I was more into fighting games. They're really interesting games with very deep mechanics and metas. I enjoy online games for this very reason. Learning different combinations, and become a better player. Only fighting game series' I actually got way into were Soul Calibur (up to 4) and all of the Smash Bros. games.
AgentPoyo wrote:
The remaining games on my list are all arcade-like games or games that are basically amazing ports of arcades; and a lot are SNES games or have an equivalent on the SNES. Part of why the SNES is my favorite game console of all time is because of all of the arcade-like and arcade-ported games. Wild Guns and The Ninja Warriors especially stand out because of how challenging they are so that each playthrough feels fresh. And I list specifically Bust-A-Move 4 for the Dreamcast here, but honestly any version of that puzzle game could fit on this list; I adore that puzzle series.
I've never played as many SNES games as I really ought to. I know very little about that system's library. I 've played a good amount on there, some of the essential games, but never dug much deeper.

AgentPoyo wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:59 pm
Another thing that came to mind was that classic desert island type of question, and honestly...I would have an entirely different answer. When asked what game I would play on a desert island if it was the only game I could play my answer does not appear on my list above:

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (PC)

I adore the single-player campaign for that game, and the built-in World Editor is something I could dive into and get lost in. And if this scenario allowed me to have internet somehow, I used to be super competitive with WC3's online teamplay. I could also play the Custom Games that others or myself would make online with others. Although, if I had internet as an option I might just choose DOTA2 instead. Dunno. I would have to flip a coin in this scenario where internet is an option.
I have some experience playing this back in the day, from what I remember it was really addictive, but it's a bit hazy it's been a long time.

AgentPoyo wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm
alatinolawyer wrote:
I grew up playing Super Mario World, and honestly that is the last time that I felt the need to play a Mario game. I did not even know about Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island until I was in college. I was dating a teacher (not mine, lol, she taught at a high school) and it was her favorite game of all time and so I have her to thank for making me aware of Yoshi's Island. To my surprise I was obsessed with it for a while and now that game remains as the latest Mario game that I have cared to really play.
alatinolawyer wrote:
I agree that it should come to the Switch, but I'm not sure if I would get it. I know that the 3DS version lacked the online structure that made the game "special" and worth it, but honestly knowing myself I would have been fine with it and I have yet to care to purchase the 3DS one. If the game comes to the Switch I might not be swayed unless they perhaps add to it or something. Dunno. I think it is an amazing game and idea, though.
alatinolawyer wrote:
I like how they are still updating stuff with ARMs...I just wish we would get even more fighters. I haven't played it in a few months.

And I cannot believe I did not consider The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition. I've only made 1 character in that game so I could in theory still experiment much more with that game as well.
I think if they revamp super mario maker and added slopes and other tilesets it would make it a greater game for me, but even if they didn't I'd still purchase it again. I was really deep into playing super mario world rom hacks for years, I have played over 50 of them. Fan created mario stuff is just fascinating to me.
---
I'm glad you share my love for Yoshi's Island, it's so charming and a really great time.
----
Played 4 different characters on Skyrim on Pc, 3 without mods, 1 with, it's really something special. Each playthrough felt very unique.
----

Tried to respond to everything, thanks for the amazing comments as always :)
Twitter
Youtube