Frantic Thoughts Ep. 48 - A Musical Experience

A place to share your own frantic thoughts with Josh and the Club!
FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Frantic Thoughts Ep. 48 - A Musical Experience

Post by FranticSociety » Thu May 03, 2018 11:33 pm

THIS WEEK I take you on a journey through a lot of the music that influenced my life.

Let me know what you think!

New podcast art by @BBShelbo on twitter! Thanks!

Video version:
phpBB [video]

CHECK OUT THE AUDIO VERSION HERE

Frantic Thoughts on Podbean: http://frantic.podbean.com

Frantic Thoughts on Itunes: http://bit.ly/FranticThoughts
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 48 - A Musical Experience

Post by alatinolawyer » Mon May 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Dude the memories brought back by this episode. Loved it.

I was never a big Garth Brooks fan, but I certainly had a lot of friends and classmates who were, especially when I was living in Atlanta circa 1996.

It's funny you mentioned Hastings. My brother worked at a Hastings in Lubbock, TX, while he was a student at Tech. He got all the deals and discounts on games and movies, etc. The store I think of growing up is Media Play in the Atlanta area, or Coconuts Music and Movies as well as the Virgin mega store in Chicago. I loved being able to listen to the CDs they had on demos with the nice headphones.

Your experience with Green Day is kind of how I feel about Weezer. To me Weezer (especially the Blue Album) was a spiritual experience and I resonated with a lot of the darker songs having to do with abuse survival without even realizing that those songs were about that. But I can definitely relate to "listening to music to take you away." It's also how I felt about gaming.

I think it's a shame you didn't go into your rap phase more, even if it is just embarrassing laughs at this point. I definitely liked rap and hip hop growing up in Chicago and still listen to some rappers today, and I even listen to some Christian rappers (there is such a thing) like Andy Mineo and KB. But my all-time favorite hip hop act is still The Roots. My wife is a die hard Eminem fan forever.

You went through an edge emo/screamo phase and I went through an indie rock phase. We'll call it Diego-laments-loss-of-relationship-and-contemplates-perpetual-loneliness-phase. Some of my favorite indie bands have either jazzy touches (Karate) or rock tendencies (Jets to Brazil). The nice thing about these bands is their lives shows, if you can ever see them play are usually cheaper and in smaller, more intimate venues.

MySpace. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I remember those CD subscription deals. God I got some embarrassing CDs from those things: Boyz II Men, All-4-One, but I also got an Oasis CD from that.

I'd like to say that the Say Anything CD you referenced is awesome. In addition to "Alive with the Glory of Love" (the one you played) my other favorite track from that record is "I want to know your plans". It's a great band and that record is pretty magical.

Your techno/electronica phase happened a few years after mine. So I don't think drum n bass had developed to liquid drum n bass yet when I was listening, but I liked drum n bass, jungle, breakbeat, progressive house, progressive trance. Lots of Sasha, Oakenfold, Digweed, Amon Tobin (God his stuff is epic), Richie Hawtin and the list goes on. But I was heavily into this while I was in college and for a few years after.

I liked how you were willing to change things up and try something new!

seigiac
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
Favourite Genre: Puzzle
Favourite Game: Cave Story

Post by seigiac » Mon May 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Fantastic episode!

I personally wasn't into any of the music you mentioned, but the way you contextualized and told your personal experience through it, made me listen to the music with different ears and enjoyed all of it a lot.

The length I found was perfect for what you were doing with this. I will use this one as inspiration for a future BBB definitely.

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Mon May 07, 2018 9:00 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:14 pm
Dude the memories brought back by this episode. Loved it.

I was never a big Garth Brooks fan, but I certainly had a lot of friends and classmates who were, especially when I was living in Atlanta circa 1996.
Yeah, I was more his fan as a kid, my parents are both way into country. I grew out of it fast, but have nostalgia for some of his songs.
alatinolawyer wrote:
It's funny you mentioned Hastings. My brother worked at a Hastings in Lubbock, TX, while he was a student at Tech. He got all the deals and discounts on games and movies, etc. The store I think of growing up is Media Play in the Atlanta area, or Coconuts Music and Movies as well as the Virgin mega store in Chicago. I loved being able to listen to the CDs they had on demos with the nice headphones.
That reminds me of the walmart near my house had a system where you could scan a barcode and listen to songs off an album. I'd spend way more time than I care to admit there. Lol
alatinolawyer wrote:
Your experience with Green Day is kind of how I feel about Weezer. To me Weezer (especially the Blue Album) was a spiritual experience and I resonated with a lot of the darker songs having to do with abuse survival without even realizing that those songs were about that. But I can definitely relate to "listening to music to take you away." It's also how I felt about gaming.
I related to the lyrics in Green Day's American Idiot. It's about broken homes, feeling lost, and finding yourself. Pretty cool album.
(also I love, love, love Weezer)
alatinolawyer wrote:
I think it's a shame you didn't go into your rap phase more, even if it is just embarrassing laughs at this point. I definitely liked rap and hip hop growing up in Chicago and still listen to some rappers today, and I even listen to some Christian rappers (there is such a thing) like Andy Mineo and KB. But my all-time favorite hip hop act is still The Roots. My wife is a die hard Eminem fan forever.
I really love rap the past few years. I listen to Childish Gambino, Logic, Chance the Rapper, and Run the Jewels mostly. I'm not really into super mainstream rappers, but they are really popular so Idk what "mainstream," even means I guess... lol
alatinolawyer wrote:
You went through an edge emo/screamo phase and I went through an indie rock phase. We'll call it Diego-laments-loss-of-relationship-and-contemplates-perpetual-loneliness-phase. Some of my favorite indie bands have either jazzy touches (Karate) or rock tendencies (Jets to Brazil). The nice thing about these bands is their lives shows, if you can ever see them play are usually cheaper and in smaller, more intimate venues.
I wouldn't mind getting more into indie rock. I think the closest I come to that is probably listening to Manchester Orchestra or Brand New.
alatinolawyer wrote:
MySpace. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Yup.
alatinolawyer wrote:
I remember those CD subscription deals. God I got some embarrassing CDs from those things: Boyz II Men, All-4-One, but I also got an Oasis CD from that.
Say Anything, Pink Spiders, Foo Fighters, Plus 44, and Fly Leaf for me!
alatinolawyer wrote:
I'd like to say that the Say Anything CD you referenced is awesome. In addition to "Alive with the Glory of Love" (the one you played) my other favorite track from that record is "I want to know your plans". It's a great band and that record is pretty magical.
I love "Woe," and "Chia-Like, I Shall Grow" I can recite all the words to "Admit It." I thought I was weird for loving that little album, glad I'm not alone xD
alatinolawyer wrote:
Your techno/electronica phase happened a few years after mine. So I don't think drum n bass had developed to liquid drum n bass yet when I was listening, but I liked drum n bass, jungle, breakbeat, progressive house, progressive trance. Lots of Sasha, Oakenfold, Digweed, Amon Tobin (God his stuff is epic), Richie Hawtin and the list goes on. But I was heavily into this while I was in college and for a few years after.
Definitely still go back to the genre from time to time, but for a solid 3 years that's ALL I would listen to lol
alatinolawyer wrote:
I liked how you were willing to change things up and try something new!
I'll definitely do it again in the future. Probably not exactly like this, but take a topic and make a little piece about it.
I'm glad you liked it :)
Twitter
Youtube

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Mon May 07, 2018 9:01 pm

seigiac wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:00 pm
Fantastic episode!

I personally wasn't into any of the music you mentioned, but the way you contextualized and told your personal experience through it, made me listen to the music with different ears and enjoyed all of it a lot.

The length I found was perfect for what you were doing with this. I will use this one as inspiration for a future BBB definitely.
Thanks for listening!
It's crazy because the Florence episode of BBB made me really inspired to make this, full circle I guess :D
Twitter
Youtube