Frantic Thoughts Ep. 61 - Digital Vs Physical

A place to share your own frantic thoughts with Josh and the Club!
Post Reply
User avatar
FranticSociety
Rank: Tomb Raider
Rank: Tomb Raider
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:02 pm
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario
Contact:

Frantic Thoughts Ep. 61 - Digital Vs Physical

Post by FranticSociety » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 pm

THIS WEEK I ramble and argue with myself about the merits of digital vs physical video games. I also talk about random stuff including weird chip flavors! Enjoy!

Follow me @FranticSociety and our new podcast @Tradepapercast

Music:

- Animal Crossing New Leaf ReMix by AJ DiSpirito Morning Jazz [Main Street (N. Junction)]

- Animal Crossing ReMix by Jamphibious Soothing Rain [Rainy Day]

@BBShelbo on twitter created my amazing podcast artwork!


Video version: SOOON
phpBB [video]


CHECK OUT THE AUDIO VERSION HERE

Frantic Thoughts on Podbean: http://frantic.podbean.com

Frantic Thoughts on Itunes: http://bit.ly/FranticThoughts

Frantic Thoughts on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/7iX7AltjdWTuJ5rgZgPITa
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

User avatar
seigiac
Rank: Ex-SOLDIER
Rank: Ex-SOLDIER
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 pm
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Puzzle
Favourite Game: Cave Story

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 61 - Digital Vs Physical

Post by seigiac » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:57 pm

One thing that I always say about the Digital vs Physical "debate" is that the games themselves are digital goods, games are software.

Methods of distribution and storage of software are at a very variable degree of importance to both developers, users and other parties involved in the industry.

From the business side, Physical distribution is expensive. Development costs are very variable nowadays and depend entirely on the scope of your game. For instance, it is possible, for an individual to make a game from the ground up in his or her spare time. If said individual would want this game distributed physically, unless this particular individual is wealthy, he or she would have to get into some sort of agreement with a publisher that has the means to get to retail.

Digital distribution on the other hand, has traditionally allowed this kind of game to find a way to get to the final user's hand. Indie games are often a good example of this. If anything, we owe the richness and variety we now enjoy to Digital distribution.

Now, on the other hand, there are different cohorts of users with different objectives:

- Non-Collector Gamer: buys what he or she wants to play, doesn't care about form.

- Gamer that collects: main priority is playing what he or she desires, but enjoys having physical media as memorabilia.

- Collector that games: still a gamer that gets games what he or she wants to play, but will only spend on games that also have collecting purposes. Will likely only spend on physical games.

- Collector: buys games based exlusively for collecting purposes. Might game or not, but that is not a priority.

- Businessman (Trader/Scalper/Flipper): aggressively buys in order to turn some sort of profit.

There is a clear distinction to me between gaming and collecting, they often mix and go well together, but they are not the same thing.

When people argue about not liking digital because they don't feel they own it, I don't think that's the gamer in them talking. That's a whole different aesthetic.

There are pros and cons as with anything. Availability is a big one, especially that thing about not being able to find a game after it becomes unavailable, which is fair, but it's also fair to say that there are some very rare physical games that are practically unavailable due to their market price.

Anyone can and should enjoy their gaming however way they want (I think collecting is awesome by the way), but nowawadays, quite honestly, the most unique, innovative, interesting games, are most likely being distributed digitally (at least at first).

User avatar
FranticSociety
Rank: Tomb Raider
Rank: Tomb Raider
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:02 pm
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario
Contact:

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 61 - Digital Vs Physical

Post by FranticSociety » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:35 pm

seigiac wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:57 pm
One thing that I always say about the Digital vs Physical "debate" is that the games themselves are digital goods, games are software.

Methods of distribution and storage of software are at a very variable degree of importance to both developers, users and other parties involved in the industry.

From the business side, Physical distribution is expensive. Development costs are very variable nowadays and depend entirely on the scope of your game. For instance, it is possible, for an individual to make a game from the ground up in his or her spare time. If said individual would want this game distributed physically, unless this particular individual is wealthy, he or she would have to get into some sort of agreement with a publisher that has the means to get to retail.

Digital distribution on the other hand, has traditionally allowed this kind of game to find a way to get to the final user's hand. Indie games are often a good example of this. If anything, we owe the richness and variety we now enjoy to Digital distribution.

Now, on the other hand, there are different cohorts of users with different objectives:

- Non-Collector Gamer: buys what he or she wants to play, doesn't care about form.

- Gamer that collects: main priority is playing what he or she desires, but enjoys having physical media as memorabilia.

- Collector that games: still a gamer that gets games what he or she wants to play, but will only spend on games that also have collecting purposes. Will likely only spend on physical games.

- Collector: buys games based exlusively for collecting purposes. Might game or not, but that is not a priority.

- Businessman (Trader/Scalper/Flipper): aggressively buys in order to turn some sort of profit.

There is a clear distinction to me between gaming and collecting, they often mix and go well together, but they are not the same thing.

When people argue about not liking digital because they don't feel they own it, I don't think that's the gamer in them talking. That's a whole different aesthetic.

There are pros and cons as with anything. Availability is a big one, especially that thing about not being able to find a game after it becomes unavailable, which is fair, but it's also fair to say that there are some very rare physical games that are practically unavailable due to their market price.

Anyone can and should enjoy their gaming however way they want (I think collecting is awesome by the way), but nowawadays, quite honestly, the most unique, innovative, interesting games, are most likely being distributed digitally (at least at first).
I really appreciate this response. I am still learning how to be a bit more succinct when I talk. I tend to meander, but I wasn't trying to be for or against one way or the other.

I just find it to be a huge bummer when physical only collectors won't purchase a game at all digitally, even when that game would be right up their alley. (classic retro collector missing out on a title like cuphead, etc.)

As I said a few times here I just buy and play it in the most affordable method I can find. It's still an interesting topic that's fun to have little debates about. :)

thanks for listening!
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

User avatar
seigiac
Rank: Ex-SOLDIER
Rank: Ex-SOLDIER
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 pm
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Puzzle
Favourite Game: Cave Story

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 61 - Digital Vs Physical

Post by seigiac » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:03 pm

FranticSociety wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:35 pm
I really appreciate this response. I am still learning how to be a bit more succinct when I talk. I tend to meander, but I wasn't trying to be for or against one way or the other.
I got your point clearly enough. I just wanted add some of the motivations people might have regarding this topic.

And you do you, that's that adds the Frantic in Frantic Thoughts.

User avatar
FranticSociety
Rank: Tomb Raider
Rank: Tomb Raider
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:02 pm
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario
Contact:

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 61 - Digital Vs Physical

Post by FranticSociety » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:04 am

seigiac wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:03 pm
FranticSociety wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:35 pm
I really appreciate this response. I am still learning how to be a bit more succinct when I talk. I tend to meander, but I wasn't trying to be for or against one way or the other.
I got your point clearly enough. I just wanted add some of the motivations people might have regarding this topic.

And you do you, that's that adds the Frantic in Frantic Thoughts.
yeah, you're not wrong
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

User avatar
alatinolawyer
Rank: Warrior of Light
Rank: Warrior of Light
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:44 am
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Location: DeWitt, Michigan

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 61 - Digital Vs Physical

Post by alatinolawyer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm

I really appreciated your statement that you're ok with paying for the right to play a digital game because it's what you want to play now, even if years down the line a server might not be available. I'm kind of OK with it. I know my boy, Scott, VGCollectaholic gives us a hard time saying that we should say we're leasing digital games rather than buying them, and to that I say, no problem bro, because ultimately to me what matters is the "use functionality" stick in the bundle of property sticks. Would it be an added bonus if I could transfer my title in this lease to a third party? Sure, it would be.

I generally tend to buy AAA games physical, but not because I'm one of those gotta have the box kind of guys. Now, if there's something cool thrown into a physical version - like Ys VIII giving you player trading cards and a map with beautiful artwork, then hey I really am glad to purchase the physical version (although my enjoyment of those things was for like 5 seconds because every time I interact with the game after that is purely through the software).

On the other hand, I own Arms digitally on my Switch. I have put as many hours into that as just about any other game I own on the Switch. I guarantee you it's because if I'm in the middle of a long grind on Skyrim or Ys VIII and I want a quick change of pace, I can instantly close out the cart based game I'm playing and open up the digital version of Arms that is saved on my SD Card. It means I play my digital games far more than my physical ones once I've "beaten" the game.

Additionally, I would miss out on the world of indie games if I refused to get digital games. One of my favorite Switch games is Floor Kids, which will never get a physical release but it's an absolutely delightful title.

Great recommendation minute! Those pictures and videos everyone took are amazing.

User avatar
FranticSociety
Rank: Tomb Raider
Rank: Tomb Raider
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:02 pm
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario
Contact:

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 61 - Digital Vs Physical

Post by FranticSociety » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:42 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm
I really appreciated your statement that you're ok with paying for the right to play a digital game because it's what you want to play now, even if years down the line a server might not be available. I'm kind of OK with it. I know my boy, Scott, VGCollectaholic gives us a hard time saying that we should say we're leasing digital games rather than buying them, and to that I say, no problem bro, because ultimately to me what matters is the "use functionality" stick in the bundle of property sticks. Would it be an added bonus if I could transfer my title in this lease to a third party? Sure, it would be.

I generally tend to buy AAA games physical, but not because I'm one of those gotta have the box kind of guys. Now, if there's something cool thrown into a physical version - like Ys VIII giving you player trading cards and a map with beautiful artwork, then hey I really am glad to purchase the physical version (although my enjoyment of those things was for like 5 seconds because every time I interact with the game after that is purely through the software).

On the other hand, I own Arms digitally on my Switch. I have put as many hours into that as just about any other game I own on the Switch. I guarantee you it's because if I'm in the middle of a long grind on Skyrim or Ys VIII and I want a quick change of pace, I can instantly close out the cart based game I'm playing and open up the digital version of Arms that is saved on my SD Card. It means I play my digital games far more than my physical ones once I've "beaten" the game.

Additionally, I would miss out on the world of indie games if I refused to get digital games. One of my favorite Switch games is Floor Kids, which will never get a physical release but it's an absolutely delightful title.

Great recommendation minute! Those pictures and videos everyone took are amazing.
Is floor kids a rhythm game? might be up my alley.

Digital on Switch is really convenient, just push an icon and you're off!
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

User avatar
alatinolawyer
Rank: Warrior of Light
Rank: Warrior of Light
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:44 am
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Location: DeWitt, Michigan

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 61 - Digital Vs Physical

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:28 pm

Floor kids is a dance game with strong rhythm elements, but I wouldn't call it a rhythm game. Most of the game is about piecing together your character's 16 dance moves into combos (each character has four unique combo moves) to rock out and impress the crowd. If you execute your moves in the beat of the song that's playing you get added crowd reaction and higher scores, but rhythm isn't what counts here, it's execution. There are short segments in between your free style runs where it's a more traditional rhythm game when you have to match the beat of the song with a button press.

I love this game, but you have to like hip hop/turntable style music otherwise you might get bored of it quickly.

User avatar
FranticSociety
Rank: Tomb Raider
Rank: Tomb Raider
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:02 pm
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario
Contact:

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 61 - Digital Vs Physical

Post by FranticSociety » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:35 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:28 pm
Floor kids is a dance game with strong rhythm elements, but I wouldn't call it a rhythm game. Most of the game is about piecing together your character's 16 dance moves into combos (each character has four unique combo moves) to rock out and impress the crowd. If you execute your moves in the beat of the song that's playing you get added crowd reaction and higher scores, but rhythm isn't what counts here, it's execution. There are short segments in between your free style runs where it's a more traditional rhythm game when you have to match the beat of the song with a button press.

I love this game, but you have to like hip hop/turntable style music otherwise you might get bored of it quickly.
Sounds pretty interesting, I'll look up some gameplay to see if I'd enjoy it. Thanks!
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

Post Reply