Frantic Thoughts Ep. 63 - Let’s Talk About Let’s Plays

A place to share your own frantic thoughts with Josh and the Club!
FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Frantic Thoughts Ep. 63 - Let’s Talk About Let’s Plays

Post by FranticSociety » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:07 am

THIS WEEK I talk about let's plays, both watching them and creating them. I also chat a bit about BlackKklansman, Plagiarism, and Ninja that streamer dude... Hope you enjoy!

Follow me on twitter: @franticsociety

End music is: Terraria Overworld Day - Remix by Qumu Music!

Thanks to @bbshelbo for my podcast logo!

Video version:
phpBB [video]

CHECK OUT THE AUDIO VERSION HERE

Frantic Thoughts on Podbean: http://frantic.podbean.com

Frantic Thoughts on Itunes: http://bit.ly/FranticThoughts

Frantic Thoughts on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/7iX7AltjdWTuJ5rgZgPITa
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 63 - Let’s Talk About Let’s Plays

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Hey Man, I'm asking for Frantic Thoughts! haha... so change that tagline to "that only Diego asks for!"

I've found Let's Plays helpful at times to get me through some parts in games where I'm stuck. I don't necessarily sit and watch someone play a game from beginning to end, but then again if a particular let's play segment is really funny (especially people doing great voices when reading RPG dialogue) than it's fun to watch those Let's Play videos. I also like watching Let's Plays of really hard NES games to see how people blitz through games.

On the plagiarism front. When someone is plagiarizing to this extent, I think there's something much deeper going on besides laziness or bad work ethic. My church went through a scandal a few years ago because it was discovered that our pastor was plagiarizing the sermons of Timothy Keller, who is a famous pastor from NYC who posts his sermons online at that church's website. It was surreal, like word for word copying and even using the similar inflection. The most the church elders looked the worse it got and they even found that he had plagiarized sermons back at his old church before he came to our church in 2012.

Now, this pastor was a good friend of mine. He had been a great mentor and support during a period of time when my wife and I were going through great struggle and grief. He's not a bad guy, he was a good teacher of the Word as well and I did plenty of book studies and meetings with him. But there was definitely something deeper going on, an unworked trauma or something, that led to this chronic pattern of plagiarism.

The crazy thing is after around the time he was caught, he actually gave a sermon that he wrote himself and it was a great sermon. The plagiarism isn't about lack of skill or lack of time, it's about a pathological behavioral disorder that is supremely focused on appearances. He needed to get help, we needed to part ways with him as a church, and both parties needed healing.

I hope Mr. Miucin gets help. He likely needs it.

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Josh, you've got a great radio voice. This podcast sounds like a radio show.

I've never been a big fan of Let's Plays. I'm still kinda have that "why would I want to watch someone else play video games unless they're sitting beside my on the couch?" mindset. There have been a couple I have liked. I recently watched videos of a stream from Adam Koebel, playing Detroit. He had a lot of good insights about the game. But generally, I still don't really get the appeal of watching or making these. I have made a couple LPs on my YouTube, but I think they're my worst content.

The plagiarism thing is so blatant and awful >< It's amazing how many examples people have drudged up. It's very disappointing because it seems like such a waste of an opportunity. So many people would love to have Muicin's job - sharing their thoughts on video games with hundreds of thousands of people. I agree with Diego that there's probably something a little pathological going on here. Even the guy's 'apology' video (which I admit, I didn't watch because I didn't want to give him a click) seems like it included no actual apology or taking of responsibility. And a challenge to find more examples.
On the other side of things... cynical Pam who's been on the Internet for too long looks at Boomstick gaming and sees that his "IGN stole my work" video has over a million views and his channel now has 6x the number of subs he had before and thinks... I wish someone would plagiarize my work.

The Ninja thing is a mess. Of course people can stream with whomever they want, but coming out and saying "I don't stream with women" just seems like asking for trouble. It also reinforces the belief that women are a source of drama. I agree that at his level of popularity rumours are going to fly and he's going to be in the news no matter what. I don't see how refusing to stream with women is going to alleviate that in any way. And honestly, if rumours about Ninja and other female streamers were to pop up, I bet it's the female streamer who would bear the brunt of the abuse.
Also, cynical Pam again, bets $20 that within 6 months we get a "I cheated on my wife, I'm sorry I let my fans down, I'm taking a break" video from Ninja.

Musty Hobbit
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Musty Hobbit » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:40 pm

I admit, I like Let's Plays and have found myself watching Game Grumps on the regular again (I used to a long time ago, then had fallen away from it, but they tend to make me laugh, alot, which is great for viewing over my lunch hour). And it's not like I'm watching it to even see the game in question (although I have looked up LPs to see gameplay before buying a game), it's the personality of the player/commenter. I really enjoyed when Kathryn and Myles used to do Mario Mondays (and I hope they find a way to bring it back, or something similar) - in general, we just need more funny/entertaining people making things - I think we could all use it.

Filip and his situation is a mess, and I don't have a lot more to say about it. I stopped consuming NVC when Jose left - no disrespect to Peer and the other hosts, but Jose clearly loves Nintendo and loves video games, and the actions that Filip makes cause me to question whether he actually does. IGN is a dream job for some - a stepping stone to something bigger for others - but it's awfully arrogant to think that the tricks you used to get a following in the small YT space are going to fly once you're in the big leagues. Had Boomstick Gaming taken the attitude of a lot of people and simply dismissed IGN (and their reviews), would we have even found out about this? Anyways, kudos to IGN for acting swiftly, and it's unfortunate that there wasn't a great way for them to identify it sooner before it became a spectacle.

I have a hard time on the Ninja thing, and it's not my place to tell anyone how to do what is effectively their job. I also don't want to pretend that I know even a little bit about his marriage, and other factors that led him to have this "stance". But, Pam - I can't take that $20 bet, because I think you're on the right track. There's always more to the story.
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:57 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:23 pm
Hey Man, I'm asking for Frantic Thoughts! haha... so change that tagline to "that only Diego asks for!"

I've found Let's Plays helpful at times to get me through some parts in games where I'm stuck. I don't necessarily sit and watch someone play a game from beginning to end, but then again if a particular let's play segment is really funny (especially people doing great voices when reading RPG dialogue) than it's fun to watch those Let's Play videos. I also like watching Let's Plays of really hard NES games to see how people blitz through games.

On the plagiarism front. When someone is plagiarizing to this extent, I think there's something much deeper going on besides laziness or bad work ethic. My church went through a scandal a few years ago because it was discovered that our pastor was plagiarizing the sermons of Timothy Keller, who is a famous pastor from NYC who posts his sermons online at that church's website. It was surreal, like word for word copying and even using the similar inflection. The most the church elders looked the worse it got and they even found that he had plagiarized sermons back at his old church before he came to our church in 2012.

Now, this pastor was a good friend of mine. He had been a great mentor and support during a period of time when my wife and I were going through great struggle and grief. He's not a bad guy, he was a good teacher of the Word as well and I did plenty of book studies and meetings with him. But there was definitely something deeper going on, an unworked trauma or something, that led to this chronic pattern of plagiarism.

The crazy thing is after around the time he was caught, he actually gave a sermon that he wrote himself and it was a great sermon. The plagiarism isn't about lack of skill or lack of time, it's about a pathological behavioral disorder that is supremely focused on appearances. He needed to get help, we needed to part ways with him as a church, and both parties needed healing.

I hope Mr. Miucin gets help. He likely needs it.
I actually never thought much about it being pathological. I have encountered a lot of people with kleptomaniac tendencies, and this actually feels a lot like that. It's that feeling like "I can get away with it," so they keep on stealing over and over again.
Thanks for the story. I appreciate it.
Twitter
Youtube

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:01 pm

Pam wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:18 pm
Josh, you've got a great radio voice. This podcast sounds like a radio show.
Thank you so much! This made my day!
Pam wrote:
I've never been a big fan of Let's Plays. I'm still kinda have that "why would I want to watch someone else play video games unless they're sitting beside my on the couch?" mindset. There have been a couple I have liked. I recently watched videos of a stream from Adam Koebel, playing Detroit. He had a lot of good insights about the game. But generally, I still don't really get the appeal of watching or making these. I have made a couple LPs on my YouTube, but I think they're my worst content.
I can understand thinking it's your "worst" content, especially when you're used to doing scripted and edited stuff. I say that I'm good at let's plays because I'm good at vamping off games to an extent, but I mostly make mediocre content. lol
Pam wrote:
The plagiarism thing is so blatant and awful >< It's amazing how many examples people have drudged up. It's very disappointing because it seems like such a waste of an opportunity. So many people would love to have Muicin's job - sharing their thoughts on video games with hundreds of thousands of people. I agree with Diego that there's probably something a little pathological going on here. Even the guy's 'apology' video (which I admit, I didn't watch because I didn't want to give him a click) seems like it included no actual apology or taking of responsibility. And a challenge to find more examples.
On the other side of things... cynical Pam who's been on the Internet for too long looks at Boomstick gaming and sees that his "IGN stole my work" video has over a million views and his channel now has 6x the number of subs he had before and thinks... I wish someone would plagiarize my work.
I like cynical Pam, she knows what up :P
Pam wrote:
The Ninja thing is a mess. Of course people can stream with whomever they want, but coming out and saying "I don't stream with women" just seems like asking for trouble. It also reinforces the belief that women are a source of drama. I agree that at his level of popularity rumours are going to fly and he's going to be in the news no matter what. I don't see how refusing to stream with women is going to alleviate that in any way. And honestly, if rumours about Ninja and other female streamers were to pop up, I bet it's the female streamer who would bear the brunt of the abuse.
Also, cynical Pam again, bets $20 that within 6 months we get a "I cheated on my wife, I'm sorry I let my fans down, I'm taking a break" video from Ninja.
Yeah, I agree with all of your points. (also still really like cynical pam)

Thanks for listening :)
Twitter
Youtube

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Musty Hobbit wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:40 pm
I admit, I like Let's Plays and have found myself watching Game Grumps on the regular again (I used to a long time ago, then had fallen away from it, but they tend to make me laugh, alot, which is great for viewing over my lunch hour). And it's not like I'm watching it to even see the game in question (although I have looked up LPs to see gameplay before buying a game), it's the personality of the player/commenter. I really enjoyed when Kathryn and Myles used to do Mario Mondays (and I hope they find a way to bring it back, or something similar) - in general, we just need more funny/entertaining people making things - I think we could all use it.
I love game grumps a lot too, I remember watching them play sonic '06 and laughing it up
Musty Hobbit wrote:
Filip and his situation is a mess, and I don't have a lot more to say about it. I stopped consuming NVC when Jose left - no disrespect to Peer and the other hosts, but Jose clearly loves Nintendo and loves video games, and the actions that Filip makes cause me to question whether he actually does. IGN is a dream job for some - a stepping stone to something bigger for others - but it's awfully arrogant to think that the tricks you used to get a following in the small YT space are going to fly once you're in the big leagues. Had Boomstick Gaming taken the attitude of a lot of people and simply dismissed IGN (and their reviews), would we have even found out about this? Anyways, kudos to IGN for acting swiftly, and it's unfortunate that there wasn't a great way for them to identify it sooner before it became a spectacle.
yeah, it's just a crazy turn of events. I get really angry thinking about him just taking whatever and passing it off as his own. Writing isn't easy, and somebody just stealing all of that work is a bummer.
Musty Hobbit wrote:
I have a hard time on the Ninja thing, and it's not my place to tell anyone how to do what is effectively their job. I also don't want to pretend that I know even a little bit about his marriage, and other factors that led him to have this "stance". But, Pam - I can't take that $20 bet, because I think you're on the right track. There's always more to the story.
I 100% agree.
Twitter
Youtube