Frantic Thoughts Ep. 65 - Nintendo 64 & More!

A place to share your own frantic thoughts with Josh and the Club!
FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Frantic Thoughts Ep. 65 - Nintendo 64 & More!

Post by FranticSociety » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:42 pm

This week I have the fantastic Ryan @itsrocketsauce from the CartridgeClub on to talk everything Nintendo 64, Smash Bros, and a lot more! This is the longest episode yet! I hope you enjoy! Thanks for listening

The podcast logo is by @BBshelbo

End Credit Music: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ReMix by DjjD: 'Incognito' [Menu]

Video version:
phpBB [video]

CHECK OUT THE AUDIO VERSION HERE

Frantic Thoughts on Podbean: http://frantic.podbean.com

Frantic Thoughts on Itunes: http://bit.ly/FranticThoughts

Frantic Thoughts on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/7iX7AltjdWTuJ5rgZgPITa
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 65 - Nintendo 64 & More!

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:17 pm

Really enjoying this episode. When I think of the N64 the first three memories that come to mind are: Mario 64 start screen and messing around with Mario's face, Goldeneye parties and sniper shots from half a mile away and killing people in the bathroom, and Diddy Kong Racing which I actually played more than Mario Kart 64.

The system is more my brother's era for nostalgia than mine, I was 17 years old when he got his N64 and that's the only one our family ever owned. I will definitely get an N64 Classic if one is ever released. I remember watching him play Ocarina of Time, Donky Kong 64, and the two of us beating Mario 64 together.

Keep up the good work!

seigiac
Favourite Genre: Puzzle
Favourite Game: Cave Story

Post by seigiac » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:53 pm

Graphics are indeed bad in the 5th Gen. But games still had that old school feel even if they were 3D, moreso the N64 the the PlayStation.

I think it has to do with the introduction of optical media, loading times and data management in the 6th Gen, which gave games a bit of a software flavour. That only got worse and worse as system OS became more prevalent later on.

But the the good ol N64 was still a pure gaming system in the old fashioned way and I really like it, even though it gets a lot of criticism.

Several times in different BB episodes and discussions we had on the show, we found ourselves arguing over the N64 being a good console and/or having a strong library. Since I don't trust impressions as much, For an episode (BB129) I made this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

And found out that it sort of depends what you consider, you could say that the N64 has a great library (although kinda small) and also very influential.

alatinolawyer
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:32 pm

seigiac wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:53 pm
Graphics are indeed bad in the 5th Gen. But games still had that old school feel even if they were 3D, moreso the N64 the the PlayStation.

I think it has to do with the introduction of optical media, loading times and data management in the 6th Gen, which gave games a bit of a software flavour. That only got worse and worse as system OS became more prevalent later on.

But the the good ol N64 was still a pure gaming system in the old fashioned way and I really like it, even though it gets a lot of criticism.

Several times in different BB episodes and discussions we had on the show, we found ourselves arguing over the N64 being a good console and/or having a strong library. Since I don't trust impressions as much, For an episode (BB129) I made this spreadsheet:

And found out that it sort of depends what you consider, you could say that the N64 has a great library (although kinda small) and also very influential.
The most interesting fact from this spreadsheet as it relates to Gen 5 is the fact that a racing game was the best selling title for both the N64 and the PSX. As for the graphics argument of the N64, I still find the games very playable on a CRT. Are they the prettiest games ever? No. But things like Gourad shading matter less if the subject matter of your games is not realistic to begin with, like Mario and Zelda games, compared to games that even though they exist in "made believe" worlds try to operate within a more realistic world - like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid.

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:36 am

alatinolawyer wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:17 pm
Really enjoying this episode. When I think of the N64 the first three memories that come to mind are: Mario 64 start screen and messing around with Mario's face, Goldeneye parties and sniper shots from half a mile away and killing people in the bathroom, and Diddy Kong Racing which I actually played more than Mario Kart 64.

The system is more my brother's era for nostalgia than mine, I was 17 years old when he got his N64 and that's the only one our family ever owned. I will definitely get an N64 Classic if one is ever released. I remember watching him play Ocarina of Time, Donky Kong 64, and the two of us beating Mario 64 together.

Keep up the good work!
Diddy Kong Racing is a gem, I thought the adventure mode was a good time, I wish more racers would do that.
Twitter
Youtube

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:39 am

seigiac wrote:

This spreadsheet is fascinating. I definitely have a lot of love for the Nintendo 64, warts and all, it had some games that would define genres. These include Goldeneye and Super Mario 64
Twitter
Youtube

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:41 am

alatinolawyer wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:32 pm
seigiac wrote:

The most interesting fact from this spreadsheet as it relates to Gen 5 is the fact that a racing game was the best selling title for both the N64 and the PSX. As for the graphics argument of the N64, I still find the games very playable on a CRT. Are they the prettiest games ever? No. But things like Gourad shading matter less if the subject matter of your games is not realistic to begin with, like Mario and Zelda games, compared to games that even though they exist in "made believe" worlds try to operate within a more realistic world - like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid.
The example I would give for a poor realistic rendering when it comes to n64 is the Turok franchise. Those titles look decent enough for the time, but the really close fov and "fog of war" that is used to keep further polygons from rendering makes the game hard to play.
Twitter
Youtube

bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Post by bassguy654 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:29 am

Just a minor nitpick. Ryan said that you have to be a modder to order the UltraHDMI kit from Game-tech. That is no longer the case. He has opened it up to everyone, I think it is to allow people to buy the board and send it, along with the console, to a modder of the buyers choosing. It is about $150 for the kit, $6 for the power capacitor kit, and $1 for led mods. Also, You can buy the analog controller modules from China for $2-4, it does require de-soldering the old stick and soldering the new one in.

This is definitely a console I would like to play more in the future. I modded my console with the UltraHDMI kit, it is very sharp compared to S-Video. I have Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, and Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth I want to get to.

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:56 pm

bassguy654 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:29 am
Just a minor nitpick. Ryan said that you have to be a modder to order the UltraHDMI kit from Game-tech. That is no longer the case. He has opened it up to everyone, I think it is to allow people to buy the board and send it, along with the console, to a modder of the buyers choosing. It is about $150 for the kit, $6 for the power capacitor kit, and $1 for led mods. Also, You can buy the analog controller modules from China for $2-4, it does require de-soldering the old stick and soldering the new one in.

This is definitely a console I would like to play more in the future. I modded my console with the UltraHDMI kit, it is very sharp compared to S-Video. I have Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, and Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth I want to get to.
This price point is a lot more reasonable, maybe I will mod Sierra one for the holidays (if I can get my hands on one)
Twitter
Youtube

bassguy654
Gaming Since (Year): 1984
First Console: Atari 400
Favourite Genre: Action Platformers
Favourite Game: Faxanadu

Post by bassguy654 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:42 pm

[/quote]
This price point is a lot more reasonable, maybe I will mod Sierra one for the holidays (if I can get my hands on one)
[/quote]

They're sold out. The prices I quoted ar just for the parts, the labor is $150-200. I have 5 on order they should be arriving in the next couple months, I was going to buy some N64s to mod and flip lol.