Frantic Thoughts Ep. 67 - 4k Gaming, Spider-Man, and Nintendo Stuff!

A place to share your own frantic thoughts with Josh and the Club!
FranticSociety
Gaming Since (Year): 1994
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Platformers
Favourite Game: Minecraft or Super Mario

Frantic Thoughts Ep. 67 - 4k Gaming, Spider-Man, and Nintendo Stuff!

Post by FranticSociety » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:45 am

This Week I go back to a "normal," show and talk all things 4k hdr gaming, a little Spider-Man PS4 Pro talk, a Nintendo Direct happened, and I'm sure I talk about other stuff... Idk

enjoy?

lol

Podcast logo is by @BBShelbo

Video version:
phpBB [video]

CHECK OUT THE AUDIO VERSION HERE

Frantic Thoughts on Podbean: http://frantic.podbean.com

Frantic Thoughts on Itunes: http://bit.ly/FranticThoughts

Frantic Thoughts on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/7iX7AltjdWTuJ5rgZgPITa
I talk way too much in the following places...
Twitter
Youtube
My Gaming and Entertainment Podcast

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: Frantic Thoughts Ep. 67 - 4k Gaming, Spider-Man, and Nintendo Stuff!

Post by alatinolawyer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:22 pm

4K really does look great, I'll acknowledge that. My mother-in-law has a 4K TV in her living room and it looks great. Now, I'm still satisfied with my 1080p TV in my bedroom and the living room. It looks fine and I don't own any 4K devices anyway, so the only true 4K I could potentially watch is Netflix if I wanted. That being said I do acknowledge that HDR makes the screen look incredibly beautiful. Considering it wasn't until 2015 before I got a 1080p TV (I got my first 720p TVs in 2008), I don't suspect I'll make the move to 4K for at least a few more years.

I'm glad you enjoyed Spider-Man. That's one game I'll definitely want to try on my brother's PS4 next time I visit him.

Now how about that Direct?!?! Wooo boy. That was my dream come true, being a huge JRPG fan. I was excited to see the art design of Town by Game Freak, I could just envision that being a kind of test case for the engine that will ultimately run the next generation of Pokemon (frankly it reminded me of Ni No Kuni graphics so Level 5 get on that port baby). For me the biggest news was the plethora of Final Fantasy coming to Switch, I was blown away. Thank you Square Enix. And my wife and I were both really excited that a new Animal Crossing was finally confirmed. That might be the game that gets our family to have two Switches in the house.

Pam
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:36 pm

The music during the section where you talked about your new tv was VERY dramatic. I was concerned things were going to take a dark turn - that the tv ended up being a mimic who ate your cat or something.

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Pam wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:36 pm
The music during the section where you talked about your new tv was VERY dramatic. I was concerned things were going to take a dark turn - that the tv ended up being a mimic who ate your cat or something.
I accidentally left that in there when editing, and I thought it was funny so I didnt fix it lol
Twitter
Youtube

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:14 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:22 pm
4K really does look great, I'll acknowledge that. My mother-in-law has a 4K TV in her living room and it looks great. Now, I'm still satisfied with my 1080p TV in my bedroom and the living room. It looks fine and I don't own any 4K devices anyway, so the only true 4K I could potentially watch is Netflix if I wanted. That being said I do acknowledge that HDR makes the screen look incredibly beautiful. Considering it wasn't until 2015 before I got a 1080p TV (I got my first 720p TVs in 2008), I don't suspect I'll make the move to 4K for at least a few more years.

I'm glad you enjoyed Spider-Man. That's one game I'll definitely want to try on my brother's PS4 next time I visit him.

Now how about that Direct?!?! Wooo boy. That was my dream come true, being a huge JRPG fan. I was excited to see the art design of Town by Game Freak, I could just envision that being a kind of test case for the engine that will ultimately run the next generation of Pokemon (frankly it reminded me of Ni No Kuni graphics so Level 5 get on that port baby). For me the biggest news was the plethora of Final Fantasy coming to Switch, I was blown away. Thank you Square Enix. And my wife and I were both really excited that a new Animal Crossing was finally confirmed. That might be the game that gets our family to have two Switches in the house.
think I should try animal crossing 3ds out or just wait for switch? I've never played the series much
Twitter
Youtube

alatinolawyer

Post by alatinolawyer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Animal Crossing New Leaf for 3DS is the best so far and definitely is my favorite. But honestly if you just want to experience the vibe of Animal Crossing the mobile game is plenty of fun and free. I've grinned my way up to level 34 with 23 friends invited onto my camp and have spent $0 on the game.

Musty Hobbit
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Musty Hobbit » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:29 pm

You're right Josh - I'm not happy about the lack of FF8 right now, but less because it's not on Switch - the game has been ignored for a HD rerelease while others have already gotten them (most recently FF9). Next year is the 20th Anniversary, so I have to hope that there's something in the works. But Square ignored Parasite Eve's 20 Year Anniversary, so who knows what will happen.

I love how 4K looks with the X and the Pro - happy to hear your impressions on the leap.

Just grabbed Spider-man over the weekend, so I'll 'understand' soon enough what all the hubbub is.
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:37 pm

alatinolawyer wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:03 pm
Animal Crossing New Leaf for 3DS is the best so far and definitely is my favorite. But honestly if you just want to experience the vibe of Animal Crossing the mobile game is plenty of fun and free. I've grinned my way up to level 34 with 23 friends invited onto my camp and have spent $0 on the game.
Apparently we have a copy of New Leaf! I did 't even realize lol
Twitter
Youtube

FranticSociety

Post by FranticSociety » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Musty Hobbit wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:29 pm
You're right Josh - I'm not happy about the lack of FF8 right now, but less because it's not on Switch - the game has been ignored for a HD rerelease while others have already gotten them (most recently FF9). Next year is the 20th Anniversary, so I have to hope that there's something in the works. But Square ignored Parasite Eve's 20 Year Anniversary, so who knows what will happen.

I love how 4K looks with the X and the Pro - happy to hear your impressions on the leap.

Just grabbed Spider-Man over the weekend, so I'll 'understand' soon enough what all the hubbub is.
I hope they figure out the ff8 stuff cuz it feels weird to not have it when they have every other title in the franchise available from 7-12.
and yes, 4k continues to blow me away, especially trying out other titles I spent tons of hours in like Horizon Zero Dawn. That game looks spectacular. Also 1080p content has a marked improvement too. It's all around an excellent experience. I hope to pull off an xbox one x on black friday. I think the backward compatible 4k updates coupled with the great looking exclusives (even though it isn't a ton, oh well forza horizon 4 looks stunning) it is worth the purchase.
Twitter
Youtube

alatinolawyer

Post by alatinolawyer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:56 pm

FranticSociety wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:37 pm
alatinolawyer wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:03 pm
Apparently we have a copy of New Leaf! I did 't even realize lol
Give it a go and hopefully you enjoy the casual fun :)