Retro Fandango Eps. 90 - CC Family Reunion Recap (Aug 8th, 2018)

A place for Fandanglers to chat about all things Retro Fandango
alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Retro Fandango Eps. 90 - CC Family Reunion Recap (Aug 8th, 2018)

Post by alatinolawyer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:33 am

https://retrofandango.podbean.com/e/ret ... -8th-2018/

Vox vacation, Log Flumes, Detroit, Toledo, Chicago, CC Family Reunion

alatinolawyer
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: Retro Fandango Eps. 90 - CC Family Reunion Recap (Aug 8th, 2018)

Post by alatinolawyer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:42 am

Vox, your description of hitting an amusement/theme park at just the right time of year reminds me of the trip to Orlando I took to propose to my wife. We went in September and the only people at Disney/Universal Studios were a handful of European tourists and virtually nobody else. I got to go on rides so many times it was crazy, we finished entire parks worth of rides in like three hours compared to going during the busy time of the year and spending 2 hours in line for the most popular rides.

Kevin, MY MAN! You nailed it. Giordano's Stuffed Deep Dish Pizza is the creme de la creme of Chicago-style pizza. I will fight anyone over that. I cannot fathom how some folks pick Lou Malnotti's as their favorite over Giordano's. The only other place that comes close, in my opinion, is Gino's East (and if you go downtown the atmosphere is admittedly cooler, but the food is just not quite as good). Giordano's also ships their stuffed pizzas to most parts of the US. So next time, you don't have to drive 8 hours, just drive 3 hours to Lansing, MI, come in through Port Huron and avoid Detroit, definitely avoid Toledo, and I'll take you to a few good retro stores in town.

PS - Jimmy John's is probably my favorite fast food sandwich shop here in Michigan, the bread is the best part of their sandwiches.

polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Post by polykill_travis » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Giordano's is my favorite. I even found Giordano's flavored "tater chips" for the ride home - they were also amazing.

Scott was the only one I knew of on the trip that preferred Lou's. Before I saw the sign though, I thought people were saying "Illuminati's" and expected there to be a lot of eyeball/pyramid art in the establishment with odd symmetry and hidden codes in the pepperoni. So I was disappointed twice with that place.

Jimmy John's IS good and IS fast - but I'm not for the big game hunting thing. Jersey Mike's recently came to our town and for a chain, I think it's now my favorite. A bit pricey though.

MrsQDawg
First Console: Aquarius Computer
Favourite Genre: Not sure
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda WW HD

Post by MrsQDawg » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Great recap Kevin. I'm really glad you all liked Giordano's. I was worried we'd be pizza'd-out with Lou's and wouldn't want to try Giordano's. It's my favorite too. The crust is amazing.

Diego-Jimmy John's is a favorite of mine too. The bread is what makes the sandwich. The crazy thing is I remember the sandwiches being about $3.75 when I was in college. Now they're $5.95!

dege13
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: SNES

Post by dege13 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:24 pm

I'm so happy we went to Giordano's after Lou's and not the other way around. If we had ONLY gone to Lou's I would have left Chicago never wanting Chicago deep dish pizza again (it wasn't BAD, it was just not as good as my favorite 'flat' pizza). I am very happy that Giordano's had what I like more.
Derek
[host of Dollar Dorks] http://feeds.feedburner.com/DollarDorks
[half of the Two Dorks] http://youtube.com/twodorks