A place for Fandanglers to chat about all things Retro Fandango
BuriedOnMars
Gaming Since (Year): 1981
First Console: Commodore Vic 20
Favourite Genre: Games
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Half Life

Retro Fandango Eps. 94 - Major Spider-Man Spoilers

Post by BuriedOnMars » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Neither of us has played the game or know what happens in it.

alatinolawyer
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Re: Retro Fandango Eps. 94 - Major Spider-Man Spoilers

Post by alatinolawyer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Kevin, someone got upset with you? SHOCKER! Don't worry boo, they'll move on to something else before long.

I would not have identified RetroFandango as a "comedy" show, so it's interesting you feel that it is. To me it's a show about retro fandom, games, and random stuff. So now I'll listen to it through that prism and see if my perception of the show changes at all.

Hug it out. Hug it out.

The Usual Suspects is still as enjoyable to watch now, even after I've seen it several times and know the spoiler. Now I look for other breadcrumbs that were being fed to us that I could have used, had I been a more engaged and critical viewer, to predict the spoiler.

Vox nails it on the head with the illogical contradiction with "I'm so excited for something but I don't want to know anything about it." Surprise is not a sufficient substitute for good content in my opinion. If surprise is the only thing your media has going it, it's not something I'd want to pay for anyway.

alatinolawyer
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:53 pm

I just got to the part where Kevin says "is this where I have to announce that was a joke?"

And that's when it hit me that yeah, I do think of RetroFandango on the comedy spectrum of gaming/media podcasts. From the sound clips to everything else that is gag oriented, yeah, I can see Kevin trying to be the interwebs Jackie Gleason.

MightyQDawg
Gaming Since (Year): 1979
Favourite Genre: RPG
Favourite Game: Metroid Prime

Post by MightyQDawg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:25 am

Of course Retro Fandango is comedy: the whole thing is one big JOKE! Ha ha! (I kid, I kid! I wouldn't joke around if I didn't love you guys! Seriously: when Retro Fandango comes out, it immediately moves to the top of my playlist regardless of what else I was in the middle of. )

Regarding spoilers, I guess I fall on the other side of the spectrum: there are some things I want to experience completely fresh. I do agree with the sentiment that the word "spoiler" has been exaggerated, though: knowing something about which bosses are present in Spiderman, for example, and having the whole experience ruined are not the same thing. That said, I would prefer *not* to know which characters are present in the game because it gives insight into possible pathways the game's story can take. The other day, I looked up the secret achievements in Doom (2016), and while the game is not "spoiled", it is lessened. Revealing what those where through the course of the game would have been better. Also, my concern about spoilers varies from game to game or movie to movie: I watch plenty of previews for Star Wars movies, for example. I agree with Diego that surprise is not a substitute for good content. However, knowing that something is going to happen often results in a diminished experience as I find myself focusing on what I know is coming rather than enjoying the moment. Finally, truth be told: I don't trust other peoples' assessments of what is a spoiler and what isn't. I learned this watching "Lost". You couldn't say anything about that show without it being a spoiler. Even saying "this is not a spoiler" was revelatory. So, for things I want to experience fresh, I'd prefer everyone just shut up: not everyone can get out to the first showing of Infinity Wars, you know? However, I understand it's my responsibility, not everyone else's, to make sure I avoid the spoilers.

--
Eric

Duke0619
Favourite Game: Metroid

Post by Duke0619 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:27 am

Vox’s rant was on point! Just curious: what are your thoughts on the Olivia Munn situation/controversy with the New Preditor Movie? Thanks guys!
@duke0619 Retro Nonsense

Duke0619
Favourite Game: Metroid

Post by Duke0619 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:30 am

Eric, you and I were commenting on these forums at the same time. Weird...
@duke0619 Retro Nonsense

NintendoHodge
Favourite Genre: Action/RPG/Puzzle
Favourite Game: Breath of the Wild

Post by NintendoHodge » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Love the take on spoilers. I get it some people don't wanna know ANYTHING about games but it's taken a little far some of the time. It's the same with Movies and TV shows. People avoid trailers like the plague. Now to be fare when my son was playing Mario Rabbids, I avoiding watching him, but thats a little different

Musty Hobbit
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Musty Hobbit » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:29 pm

I blame spoiler culture on the advent of the DVR. Suddenly some, but not all, people have the ability to watch tv on their own schedule, so "ugh, spoilers" became akin to saying "I haven't seen it yet". Add to that people's tendency to want to share everything (including their hot takes on plot point A or "how awesome it was when character X shows up") via their social media "water cooler" these days, and now we're in this scenario. You aren't wrong that some people take it to an extreme, but at the same time I try to respect peoples' requests to not talk about something they've made clear they don't want to hear - or at least make it clear when we'll be talking about something that reveals things some would consider spoilers so they can choose to tune out.

Regarding Spider-man, the last trailer that we got at E3 showed us 5 villains, but ended on a cliffhanger with Spider-man looking just to the side of the camera and saying "You!". They even blocked a portion of the statue that comes with the collector's edition for the same reason and indicated that they couldn't reveal it yet - it's hype building, but still. Insomniac was setting up a big reveal for a reason - that's a lot of why people are up in arms over it.

And on the topic of being excited about a game release, I don't get why sharing something that brings you joy, or expressing your excitement is a bad thing. Social media is already bleak enough, I can't imagine what it looks like if we strip out people sharing what makes them happy.
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Post by Pam » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Superhot is a game I found interesting... for a little while. The concept was neat but after a handful of levels I thought I had seen enough.

Spoiler culture has gone wild. I generally think most things aren't spoilable - I think The Usual Suspects, as you said Kevin, is one where I'd want to go in unspoiled (though it's also just as interesting on a second watch). Maybe Shayamalan's films which are always based on a twist? But the things people consider spoilers in games seem strange to me. I've been accused of spoiling NES shoot'em ups with the footage I show in reviews. The entire game is shooting things with your spaceship - what is there to spoil?! I don't think people should be giving away whole stories or endings just to be considerate, but characters that appear? Bosses you'll fight? Weapons that make an appearance? Length of a game? I just don't get how it spoils the experience.