Retro Filmdango Eps. 9 - Animation Domination!

A place for Fandanglers to chat about all things Retro Fandango
BuriedOnMars
Gaming Since (Year): 1981
First Console: Commodore Vic 20
Favourite Genre: Games
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Half Life

Retro Filmdango Eps. 9 - Animation Domination!

Post by BuriedOnMars » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:44 pm

Animation! Kevin, Richard and special guest JRock talk about Titan A.E. (2000), The Iron Giant (1999) and Beavis and Butthead Do America (1996).

Musty Hobbit
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/RPG/FPS
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda (NES)

Re: Retro Filmdango Eps. 9 - Animation Domination!

Post by Musty Hobbit » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:17 pm

I anticipated that you'd not be as keen on TitanAE as I was hoping you'd be - and I was one of those who recommended it for this episode. I have to wonder if seeing that movie (or any of these, for that matter) as a younger person means that I did a bit of hand-waving on the items that you were more critical of (the poor blending of CG/hand-drawn animation, the lack of an 'innovative" story). I always remembered the supporting cast being a lot of fun. I also enjoyed the soundtrack, but again - that was me in my late teens, not necessarily me now. It's easily been 10 years since I've seen the movie, so it's quite possible that I've got nostalgia blinders on a bit.

Regarding the ring - I was under the impression it was keyed to Cale genetically and that was why he was important - the map would only work for him, thus making "him" the key.

Nevertheless, I'm glad you guys took the time to watch it this.
www.youtube.com/SecondBreakfastYT
XBL: MustyHobbitNuts PSN: MustyHobbit Switch: SW-8191-2903-0136

alatinolawyer
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Kent Mansley, work for the government...

That is a great name, and yes, I do want to punch him in the face throughout the movie. I love The Iron Giant. My oldest son loves it too. JRock is right, the movie has a lot of heart.

Duke0619
Gaming Since (Year): 1981
Favourite Game: Metroid

Post by Duke0619 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:50 am

I’ve only seen the Beavis and Butthead movie out of th three. I saw it in the theaters and remember liking it. I’ve actually been watching King if the Hill with Bobby and that show is so good. I never even heard of Titan AE and concerning the Iron Giant, I remember the heavy handed anti-hunting scene was often mentioned back when it came out so I never wanted to see it. I can look past that now so maybe I’ll check it out someday.
@duke0619 Retro Nonsense

alatinolawyer
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:40 pm

Duke0619 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:50 am
I’ve only seen the Beavis and Butthead movie out of th three. I saw it in the theaters and remember liking it. I’ve actually been watching King if the Hill with Bobby and that show is so good. I never even heard of Titan AE and concerning the Iron Giant, I remember the heavy handed anti-hunting scene was often mentioned back when it came out so I never wanted to see it. I can look past that now so maybe I’ll check it out someday.
Duke, I think it's not too difficult to look past that scene. First, the main character Hogarth has a gun which is a main part of the story. Second, that scene is more about Hogarth struggling to teach the Iron Giant what death means and it comes out as guns kill but he's trying to teach this robot to understand death. Finally, my son loves this movie and in no way has that scene caused him to discard all of his toy guns or stop playing shoot em up with me. He did get some message on what it means for something to die.

That's my two cents