Kathryn
Gaming Since (Year): 1985
First Console: C-64 (not really a console), PS2
Favourite Genre: Puzzle/Adventure
Favourite Game: The Last of Us, Super Mario Bros. 3

Flock Talk Ep. 12 - Card Games

Post by Kathryn » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:33 pm

https://soundcloud.com/flockofnerds/epi ... card-games

In this episode of Flock Talk, Chris, Myles and Kathryn shuffle up and deal some insight into card games.

Pam
First Console: NES
Favourite Genre: CRPG
Favourite Game: Planescape Torment

Re: Flock Talk Ep. 12 - Card Games

Post by Pam » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:45 pm

I LOVE Dominion. I haven't played that in forever. I first played it at a friend's house and then I found that German site you referred to. I completely forgot about that! I used to play so much, I'd have 3 games going on at once. I should go back to that.

Great episode as always, and happy 1 year!

Kathryn

Post by Kathryn » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:33 pm

Pam wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:45 pm
I LOVE Dominion. I haven't played that in forever. I first played it at a friend's house and then I found that German site you referred to. I completely forgot about that! I used to play so much, I'd have 3 games going on at once. I should go back to that.

Great episode as always, and happy 1 year!
Three games at once! That's crazy! Myles wonders if we ever played against each other, heh. We were hardcore into Dominion and bought a number of sets. We smushed them all together in one big box, but there is one slight problem. Myles had the bright idea to get his mom to bring back a German copy of the original game when she was visiting family. It's cool to have a German game (I think the box art is different, too), but it's not so cool when you don't know what any of the cards do. LOL

Woo! One year! I guess it's not quite one year, but we're celebrating anyway! :)

alatinolawyer
First Console: Atari 2600
Favourite Genre: Adventure/Fighting
Favourite Game: Super Metroid/Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Post by alatinolawyer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:10 pm

I really enjoyed the episode guys. In a former career I taught high school kids with emotional and behavioral disorders. One of the "rewards" I'd let the kids earn was free time to play card games and/or read comics. My students with autism really got into deck building games (Yu-Gi-Oh was the game of choice back in 2001-02).

My friends from church are big fans of card and board games. I've played lots of games with them that I would not otherwise be inclined to pick up. It's always a fun experience because the interpersonal connection is preserved in a way playing a video game tends to mute.

Thanks guys!

polykill_travis
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
Favourite Genre: Action RPG
Favourite Game: Legend of Zelda

Post by polykill_travis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:48 pm

• Just played some JackBox the other night, survive the internet was hilllarrrrious with our friends. Thought it was great, easily the best one on that version. Was also very inebriated so maybe my inability to see through the magic of how it worked helped it. The rest of them were barely meh. Bracketeering was super boring and got old quick.
  • We play fibbage by voting for the funny answer..not the truth. More fun that way.
  • Agreed...t-shirt game is great. Drunkenly bought way too many inside joke tshirts i can never wear in public.
  • FYI I'm not drunk ALL the time.. but I'm drunk EVERY time I play JackBox
  • Stick of Truth was a surprisingly good game for me. I'm intrigued with But Whole, Myles sounds like despite its flaws its still worth it.
  • Coffee shop story was awesome, lol.
  • I'm not a big fan of card games... maybe because the groups of people I've found myself playing card games with are obnoxious. I'd play with you tho, Myles <3. I got into Magic like 4 years ago for a bit, and definitely saw the value in it. It was fun, but I don't like taking the chance of playing with randos and my friends moved past the phase a long time ago. I did enjoy the MTG video games that came out a while back, I played the campaigns on those and learned a ton.
  • Have you guys dabbled in the Boss Monster card game? It's a dungeon building game that I think was a kickstarter. I've always been curious about it, mostly because of the box art...
  • I played Hearthstone for a hot 3 days. I thought it was neat. My friend Brian plays it probably 2 hours a day and has since it came out, crazy.
  • I think the bluffing aspect is what I least like about card games. Not sure why. Maybe because I'm too emotive and never quite nail a good bluff. I constantly either grin ear-to-ear or complain incessantly about my shitty luck.
  • Thanks for the shoutout..about yourself..of our show!!
  • Musty Hobbit, 323 Circledoor Drive, Shire, Middle Earth, 92137

Kathryn

Post by Kathryn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:48 pm

@Diego - I love the idea of card games/comic books as a reward. I wish I had a cool teacher like you growing up! Myles and I don't play board games that often (you can probably tell that Chris is way more into them), but we do really appreciate the nights where we all get together, unplug from all devices, and sit around a table to play a board or card game. Video games are great, and party games are fun, but nothing beats sitting around a table and actually LOOKING at your friends. :D

@Travis - I would like to see one of your drunken t-shirt purchases. Also, I would like to play Jackbox with you. I think if you, Chris and Myles were playing (and maybe even Jake!!), we wouldn't get through a single round. Too many shenanigans! But then again, I would win, so I'm okay with that. :D

I've never played Boss Monster but I've always been curious about it. We have a friend who really likes it. I didn't realize it was a kickstarted game! That's pretty cool!

Oh, you don't like bluffing, huh? We should probably play some poker...after a few drinks...I'll have water. :P Someday I will tell the story of how I bluffed Myles' mom off of pocket kings and felt so bad that I folded my way out of the game. Actually, that's the whole story...heh.

Kyle_325
Gaming Since (Year): 91

Post by Kyle_325 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:41 am

Just wanted to say that I'm caught up with all the episodes. I usually downloaded them from YouTube for offline playback and never really got the chance to comment till now. I always enjoy listening to Myles, Katherine, and Chris. This episode was great, as someone who never really dived into card games much, expect for Battletech and pokemon back in the day, Im hearing a few that I wouldn't mind trying out.
Tabletop-wise I'm enjoying Star Trek Fleet Captains, few deck building game with some hero clix style elements. Definitely a high recommendation from me.
Thanks for an entertaining show as always gang, always makes my day better.

Kathryn

Post by Kathryn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Kyle!!

Thanks for taking the time to listen to us and commenting! We really appreciate it. Also, I haven't been on the forums for a little while, and decided to check in right after putting on the archive of your stream - no joke! I wanna see what I missed in the wee hours of the morning. Looks great!

Myles and I don't really play very many tabletop games anymore. He's getting back into Magic again, though, and I recently bought a few escape room board games that are fun and challenging. I forget - have we ever mentioned Sentinels of the Multiverse on Flock Talk? It's a really fun card-based board game where the players each play a superhero with unique decks of cards, and they battle a villain deck and an environment deck. Highly recommend. It's a lot of fun!

dege13
Gaming Since (Year): 1990
First Console: SNES

Post by dege13 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Best out of context forum quote ever?
polykill_travis wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:48 pm
I'm intrigued with But Whole, Myles
Derek
[half of the Two Dorks] http://youtube.com/twodorks

polykill_travis